Tuesday, August 4, 2015

helmet cam test part 2: jumping in the field!

You knew there would be a part 2 to this whole test thing. I certainly couldn't leave well enough alone with a trail ride via helmet cam, could I? 

(tho then again, perhaps you already know where this is going bc my video editing prowess can't really be classed as 'prowess' after all and the content of today's post was partially included in yesterday's video too by accident)

lol isabel has known all along that i'm kind of an idiot
But yea anyway - phase 2 of testing out the helmet cam involved jumping around our mini-xc course in the field at home. We didn't do the whole thing since the ground was soft and it was hot and and and whatever. 

We just did the following five fences (images are from the helmet cam beta test with the shitty elastic harness - note the shifting horizon), tho one segment of the natural brush box was tipped over, making it a skinny, and the tires were in a new location perched on top of a small rise (and Isabel gave them PLENTY of room haha).

i don't care if they're small, these fences are just so much fun!
Just gotta say: Isabel is the coolest horse, guys. I really can't stress that enough. We were fresh off our 30min hack through the woods. She was sweaty and buggy and the barn was in sight - which typically indicates that our little jaunt is over. But then I asked her to trot and then canter and she just slipped right into that lovely cadenced canter from our lesson with Dan last week. Effortless. 

And then I started pointing her at the fences and she just went with it. Stayed in the same canter, no rushing, no looking, no nothing. Just eating up the little pallets right out of stride. God I love this horse!

tho this is why i don't jump Isabel in the hackamore. that chain is toooooo much!
I annoyed her a bit with the hackamore - as evidenced in the pics above - but she wasn't speeding or being rude in the slightest. She just really really does NOT need a curb chain for regular riding and I am not master of the 'half halt from core.' 

Maybe one of these days I'll try a side pull... but then again the curb chain has come in handy out in the woods so.. yea idk. Just probably shouldn't be doing anything that requires shorter reins in this bridle. 

Also my fly whisk got tangled under my leg in the turn to the tires, immobilizing my right hand (to which Isabel objected). For future reference: do not jump with hackamore or fly whisk!


So yea. That's our inaugural helmet cam footage of Isabel doing her thang over fences! The camera is super stabilized and doesn't make any weird noises. Plus it's super easy to use, so I think we've got a real winner here!

I was also a bit curious to see what kinds of nonsensical subconscious chatter would be made apparent by the helmet cam, but it turns out I just repeat 'good girl' over and over. Boring!

25 comments:

  1. This look soooo cool! I'm totally going to live my brave XC dreams through you now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yasssss!!! tho really i think DragonMare would like to try her hand at a few field jumps one day ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh look at those sweet ears! and the "Mama just let me go!" head tossing. What a sweet mare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh! i love watching her ears lock on like a sonar-guided missile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like looking at your stills! Helmet cams typically make me nauseous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww boo!! hopefully i'll still have lots of stills too ;)

      Delete
  5. Maybe try an all leather curb? That's what my hack came with and it's been plenty for mr p.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Her ears are killing me, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i luvs them too!!!! (except when they're all up in my grill lol)

      Delete
  7. =) yay love it! I hope you do a full review at some point including how easy it is to upload, edit, etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea i can probably do it. it's all SUPER easy, but i'll start thinking about something more formal :)

      Delete
  8. This is so cool! I love helmet cam footage, especially cross country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yesssss!!! i can't wait to have more videos from cross country in particular!

      Delete
  9. I want to go riding with you there!!! Looks so fun. Green grass. Not something I ever get to ride on. Thank you for sharing. That was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you enjoyed it! the green green grass is definitely very different from your current landscape - and especially with all the rain we've been getting it's particularly lush. if you ever find yourself on this coast you're welcome to come join us for a ride!!

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry for all the comments. My phone is being weird and I thought I lost the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha no worries - i've definitely done the same exact thing on multiple occasions!!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.