Tuesday, December 12, 2023

nothing blooms 365 days a year

I heard this post's title as a quote in a recent audiobook* and instantly felt like... it was super relatable. The context was about struggling with adaption - and getting thrown off our mission when change happens. 

Which, ya know, feels like a pretty accurate allegory for the horse training journey!

*Emergent Strategies by adrienne maree brown if you're interested

"To Glory!"
So in the spirit of embracing that quote as a theme, let's recap recent happenings with my sweet sensitive firecracker, Mondeuse! And also, my own personal journey of ceding control and accepting my imperfections as a rider in order to (hopefully!) grow and develop.

it's a very pretty saddle. also.... a whole fuck ton more contact than this baby racehorse is quite ready to accept....
Basically, I feel like we're in a bit of an "ugly phase." But that it's also a normal and natural part of the process. But that I also kinda have to keep coaching my own self through it, pepping myself up, ya know?

i got a new crossbody Illumiseen belt/sash, since doozy already wears a martingale, plus my old LED breastplates are kinda on their way out... so far i'm quite happy with it! basically everybody at my farm has adopted some method of LED road safety, bc it just plain old makes a huge difference for drivers on the long twisty driveway
One big issue is that it costs me something to give up my own "ways" in order to follow along somebody else's training program. And in this case, MP has advised on saddle changes (more on that below), significant postural changes, and in our most recent lesson actually had me try a different pair of reins too. 

one of the fun parts of owning a mare now --- expanding the cast of characters on the blog!! Candee Kisses has been around for years, but now you all get more exposure to her extreme cuteness <3
These are all normal things, and in some cases - much needed things. But it also results in me feeling like I don't really have any tools left when the actual ride doesn't go well. 

I don't mind experimenting and changing things --- if it's improving the way the horse goes. In recent lessons, however, it almost feels like the horse is going worse. Like -- somehow, suddenly, we can't trot. Which makes it hard for me to stay committed to changes when I perceive that we're going backwards in training.

other new characters --- barn panther Icee......
Except, ya know.... Here's where the pep talks come in. Bc I'm pretty sure.... Riding is kinda just hard. And I'm pretty sure every single horse on the face of the planet will, at some point(s), experiment with whether resistance is an option. 

not gonna lie, he's slightly intimidating
And I need to not let my distrust of my own ability or skill when it comes to riding dressage stop me now. It's going to be a process. And actually, I can pretty clearly recall these same exact feelings of frustration from various points in my training journey with Isabel --- who was a hot sensitive redhead in her own right, but significantly more confident and self contained than Doozy.

christ those claws tho
So, we carry on with the lessons. And I endeavor to trust the process. 

accidentally step on him at your own risk!
In my last lesson recap post, recall we talked about working on transitions. I've played with that a few times in schooling (and also quite a bit with Charlie too), and feel like that will continue to be a go-to tool especially when I'm riding alone and feeling distrustful of myself. 

it has been "9" days since our last biting incident lol..... tho no blood was drawn. progress?
In our more recent lesson, we worked on lateral flexion. Basically --- never riding a straight line, *always* riding the bending line wherever we were, and trying not to get stuck on the wall -- but constantly riding the bend, and changing directions frequently. 

charles, rockin' Duke's (of Dark Jewel Designs custom browband fame) old sheet
This exercise was a little harder for us in the lesson itself, and I could actually feel Doozy's tension rising for much of it --- like we were sorta locked against each other. A feeling I, uh, hate.

But then, kinda suddenly out of nowhere, it was like the mare did a full body muscular exhale. And just went with it, walking beautifully, holding herself. After what felt like ages of intense concentration, patience, and discipline. For both of us --- which, not incidentally, is also a key in building both of our fitness for the work. 

and Mondeuse, rockin'.... Charles' old smartpak sheet haha bc she shredded her spare and her main sheet was soaked. this is why i always have like zillions of sheets lol. and omg, it *almost* fits her
So after sorta marinating on it a bit, I see more utility there. Especially as it was a super effective "tell" for my position -- if we're changing directions so frequently, doesn't give me much chance to get squirrelly and crooked in my position, know what I mean? So it'll be worth experimenting with in our solo schools. 

anyway. we'll be friends eventually, pal
Another thing I'll be experimenting with --- returning to riding primarily in jump tack. We tried one of MP's Custom dressage saddles, and it was LOVELY OMG. But also felt like... Doozy is straight up Not Ready, Ma'am for that much of me sitting down on her. Even in Isabel's old Bates dressage saddle, she feels a little more tense and spurt-y than what I'd expect. 

So I'm going to play around with spending more time in jump tack. And, yes, I'll admit it -- spending more time in my habitual safe half seat and floaty arms position. If that's what it takes to get our trot and canter reps in at this point, that's what I'll do. 

Maybe it'll slow down our development by not adhering strictly to one style of riding. But, eh, there's more than one goal here, right? Trust and consistency are also goals. And feeling confident to go forth and enjoy the ride is its own reward lol. 



11 comments:

  1. So, as a random internet person, I have thoughts. But they may or may not be valid, so take from them what you will. I absolutely love how Dooz goes for you in your more H/J floaty arm half seat position. I think it allows her to find her balance and rhythm at this point in her training. I think you have very soft, following hands and arms in this position, which is lovely and supports without interfering. The videos from the dressage lessons are a very different ask for both you and for her. I can see how if you concentrated solely on dressage -style rides, that it could definitely blow her up. I think you're on the right track with doing more rides in jump tack with your 'half seat and floaty arms position' (LOL) and integrating the dressage work in smaller bites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you -- and honestly i think you and i are thinking about this in the same way. like, yea ok i need to keep pushing my own boundaries and advancing my own skills, and yea doozy does need to get "trained," and hopefully "correctly" at that... but, eh, she's still a recently retired racehorse. there's a HUGE GAP between being ridden by a jockey vs being ridden like a dressage horse. it'll take time, and i'd rather take MORE time if it'll be more pleasant for both of us, vs forcing it and risking shutting her down

      Delete
  2. Oh little panther, please continue to be a nice kitty!!

    On the Doozy topic, I 1000% support riding in the jump seat part of the time as well as the frequent changes of direction and bend. As you said, the straight lines give me and the horse a chance to end up quite crooked and often stiff as well. Goggles wants to take over too, probably a different ride from Doozy, which means changing it up all the time slows his roll in that regard. JT has even cautioned against too many circles in the same spot - "it isn't going to be perfect any time this year, so get it good and then move on". Goggles has gone exclusively in a jump saddle so far, and probably will for a while, simply because he doesn't fit/isn't in the same place as Ben's tack and hasn't earned himself two saddles yet. JT does a fair amount of changing up tack and some of it I embrace and some of it I draw a line at (he's in the bit and bridle she recommended, but I continue to firmly say no to fancy stirrups LOL).

    My rambling is all to say there's more than one way to skin a cat (excuse me, Icee) and it sounds like a combo of all methods will end up being key for you and Doozy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol @ "skinning the cat" haha.... and yea i definitely appreciate the "get it good and move on" philosophy. like i appreciate that this coach is kinda pushing back on some of my habits -- her whole thing is that i'm a bit wishy washy and tend to settle for 'good enough' when better is possible. and i think that attitude and approach will ultimately be good for me, and a good counter to my normal solo style... but, eh, all in a balance, right? and i already know how to get doozy going nicely my way, so i don't really wanna lose that ground in the meantime.

      also tho. #FancyStirrups4Lyfe

      Delete
  3. I’m helping my trainer with her 3 year old OTTB that is going to the RRP next fall and we definitely ride her and the other RRP project in a lighter seat, especially in canter, with lots of change in direction and bend. It sounds a lot like how you want to ride Doozy. We definitely ride the other “trained” horses differently, and I love dressage and dressage saddles! But it is good to be able to adapt to what a horse needs at a moment in time. It’s nice, though, that you have a trainer pushing you for better and with a different perspective to help in other ways. Y’all are going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks yea, that's kinda my thoughts exactly. like, yea i want to get pushed and i want to get better, but also need to trust that i've got a good feel for this sweet little mare, and that i need to listen to her and strike a balance... the nice thing is that she doesn't really seem to ever hold a grudge, so we get to start fresh each ride!

      Delete
  4. Panther kitty! There was one just like that at a barn I boarded at years ago, he used to stalk people he didn't like and bite them and of course was never fixed and lived forever so you had to live in fear of him creeping around above your head :O. Many years later, I got the cutest little kitten that grew into a huge attitude. Anyway, the fun part is he came from that same farm and somehow I never put the pieces together. 99% sure he's descended from King Panther lol Sorry not sorry for the cat diversion - your pics brought back fun memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol i'm 100% here for the cat diversions!! i have so many fun and fond memories of barn cats from various pasts.... it's nice to think back and remember them!! and honestly i really want to like Icee --- and he seems to REALLY want to be friends. he wants to be in your lap and rubbing on your legs and getting pets.... but then he does that eminently feline thing of suddenly, out of nowhere, bear-hugging + biting whichever limb is closer. and he's a BIG cat, so he has actually stood up and wrapped around my thigh before! and he leaves (deep) marks sometimes, bleh. but i think a lot of his behavior is just trying to communicate about food. we never used to like to feed him in our barn building bc he would fight with mikey, and he had other buildings that were "his" territory. but now that mikey has been adopted, we kinda just think Icee is here to stay, so i've been feeding him a lot more lately and he's behaving a bit better. we'll see!!

      Delete
  5. So many thoughts in no particular order:
    Christoph Hess, noted dressage trainer advocates for a light seat to free up the back (https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/features/dressage-exercises-christoph-hess-769121).
    I agree that every horse resists and then learns whether that works or not. I found Carmen to be quite resistant to bendy lines, probably because she can’t hold her balance through tightness. But when she exhales it’s glorious.
    Changing riding habits is hard. Like ridiculously hard. I try to focus on one because I get brain overload with multiple things.
    The riding time you’ve had with Doozy has been really short so small changes introduced gradually makes a lot of sense. With sensitive horses you are always walking that line between babying and pushing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've noticed a bit of a pattern in how some horses learn/process that you touched on at the beginning of this post. Namely: you change something (like insisting on always having *some* contact at all three gaits, for example) and it goes well for a ride or three and then horse says "you know this actually is a bit weird and I'm not sure I like it so maybe I can't actually trot at all any more??" I don't really understand why that resistance shows up after it's first introduced, probably some combination of the rider drifting away from the concept as they were first coached through it and the horse getting a little sore/fatigued in the new way of going and looking for an easy, familiar, comforting way out to the "old way." But like you've said, it seems like you really just have to trust your training and keep carefully putting one foot in front of the other along that path. And then one day you realize that you can trot and canter around with some level of contact pretty much all the time and now you get to break both your brains with something new!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with your plan. Teaching an ex race horse how to dressage isn't the same as teaching a just broke baby horse. All that seat is kind of like screaming at her since she's used to absolutely nothing on her back when she did her old job. I think spending some days a week doing dressage and some days with a light relaxed seat is a nice balance for her.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.