Monday, October 16, 2023

to stand, or not to stand?

Ok y'all, Happy Monday! I have a random question that I'm legit curious what people think. Like, I actually have pretty... set in stone opinions myself, but... am curious. 

I wanna ask about: manners at the mounting block. 

this is a post about mounting blocks and such, so obvi i searched the archives for representative photos. here we see the absolute focal point of that mounting block, almost dead center. obvi. just gotta look past the joyous kiddos, saintly pony, and snoopervisory kitten
So I'll start with some of my own past experiences, anecdotes, and opinions. 

In my early days, where I learned to ride, you walked the horse up to the block, it was your responsibility to position them accordingly, and then get on, independently. I don't remember much of a focus on horse manners at this farm bc... All the lesson ponies were saints lol. 

and here, another mounting block!! put to its alternate use --- prevent emma from breaking her leg AGAIN from somehow failing to stick the landing upon exit. (really tho) (yes i'm wearing shipping boots, so what lol).
Things got a little sharper when I went to college. Good lesson horses were fairly protected with limited jump heights and capped weekly ride counts, so eventually the more experienced riders ended up on more green horses --- both to keep it interesting for the rider, and to help said greenies get mileage. Obvi these green horses were... less saintly lol. 

and, another block. guys, charlie has always been a little weird tho
One such mare, Ellie Mae, my first red mare flame, had a bit of a rearing problem at the mounting block. We worked through it with routine consistent practice over time, but never lost sight of the risks involved. 

Bc... Guys, actually, putting a foot in the iron of a saddle attached to an antsy animal, while standing atop a platform... is actually kinda a compromising, risky, vulnerable operation that can go very badly very quickly.

we love giant heavy tall wooden platforms!
One thing stuck with me from Ellie, tho: Onward! There would be no boxing her in, no holding her in place, no claustrophobia. Once aboard, we proceeded as needed per mare's request, end of story. 

In time she normalized and in fact became reliable enough for full integration into the lesson horse program --- and even did a few IHSA shows (tho I always acted as her handler). But given it was one of my earliest experiences in "horse training," it stuck with me.

this block is legit excellent --- just make sure the barbie dream horse mare (just slightly visible above doozy's neck) isn't #hangry
And proved massively useful with Isabel too. Long timers will remember Isabel was basically feral when I met her. There were days in our early years where... I legit couldn't actually get on her. 

Again, over time and with practice, we got better, but I always kept my focus on the main event: be safe enough for me to take that most vulnerable step --- shifting from the block to the stirrup iron, and whatever may come next. Let me arrive safely into the saddle, and the rest is history.

after years of challenging isabel, and tall charles, these plastic blocks give me anxiety. doozy is shockingly.... great tho
Charlie, notably, being a sweet gentle kind tempered, albeit giant, gelding, has been among the easiest horses in history at the block. Or the fallen log. Or random xc jump. Or like, fence post. 

You could probably paint a giant "X" in the grass, stand him there, go get into a helicopter, parachute out of it, aim for said "X", natch with Charles still standing there, and land astride --- ready to get on with it. 

lol that time i ordered a janky step stool off ebay for horse shows etc and y'all lost your shit on me
And so far, Doozy has been a bit of the same flavor. She's been good. But... I don't make her stand. She lets me get on, I let her walk off. We seem happy. 

Tho a few folks have asked me why I don't make her stand yet. Like we had a ground person the other day who stepped in to help, and then wanted to hold the horse in place after I was already on, and we sorta had this weird moment where the horse was confused bc I'd changed the rules, the person was holding the horse, and I was trying to explain, "actually, please let go" and then Doozy spurted off a bit offended. 

sometimes we dismount onto blocks too!!
And I dunno. To some people, standing at the mounting block until being asked to move is like, an absolute fundamental requirement. The 11th Commandment. But to me.... eh, I've never really cared? To some horses, making them stand at the block seems like a straight up antagonistic way to start a ride, and to others... an unnecessary formality. 

I need a horse to be good at the block. Obvi. It's gotta be safe. But I also don't want to make a big deal out of it. Kinda just wanna get on with it. 

My green horse's first experience with being asked to stand, but I actually really mean stand, and I don't care how you feel about it, will happen separately from the mounting block. Bc those are two separate questions that I definitely don't want to bleed into each other. Tho ya know, a seasoned horse can realistically be expected to respond to any request for standing, at the block or otherwise. 

But I'm curious... Again, bc I know to some folks my ambivalence seems more like blasphemy. Do you care if your horse stands at the mounting block. Or maybe a difference set of past experiences that have influenced how you feel about it? Or are you kinda like me, basically indifferent so long as the main event happens without a hitch? 


20 comments:

  1. I'm kind of pedantic about it, but I'd probably take the same approach you do in Doozy's case. Like my mid-level dressage horses and riding school ponies better stand their butts absolutely dead still at that block - but they're capable of it. When backing a green bean, I do ask them to stand very still for mounting as well, because that's going to be my expectation going forward (not "changing the rules", as you say). But in an OTTB's case, the rules are already established. The jockey goes on while we walk. Standing still is not a huge part of everyday life lol. It makes absolute sense that you'd work more on solidifying the idea of halting and standing quietly under saddle without the block before transferring it back to the block. It's all about the context!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question! I do ask for them to be still until asked to walk off because for me the line too easily blurs into walking before I am fully seated. I have used treats before too. Yoshi and Goggles were actually quite straight forward to get to stand so I didn't, but in college on a variety of horses I utilized the treat by the boot once in, and THEN you can walk off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fall into the please stand until I ask camp. For me it’s safety and Carmen also taught me that it sets the tone for our ride. Carmen has always been really good about standing while mounting but when I gather the reins she wouldlurch off pulling the reins out and being unbalanced. After it would be a battle to have her actually listen to me. But if we stand and I gather the reins and she softly steps off then things settle quickly.
    With Quaid I’m working on him standing while I fool around on the block. If he walks off I don’t make a fuss I just put him back to work. He’s smart and has figured out that the block is great rest spot. We do, of course, practice standing in lots of places.
    I also believe that others know their horse and what works. So just because I approach things differently I have no desire to lecture anyone. Unless they are riding my horse. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  4. My OTTB is worse at standing at the mounting block, in typical fashion she walks off once you've got one boot in. But my baby big boy will stand quite nicely if I ask him to. I don't feel any certain way about either of them since they're not fussing at the mounting block. They do stand VERY nicely though when I use the mounting block to dismount lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me personally, I have never been particularly flexible or athletic so I feel I need a horse to stand still at least until my rear touches the saddle. And psychologically, I like a second to breathe and get oriented before my horse walks off. I want to be the one to start the carousel ride because I feel safer making that decision. I've certainly ridden with other folks though who don't share my hang-ups. :-) But I have also been in a similar situation you described where someone was holding my horse for me to mount (while we began a ride in a brand new to us barn), and I knew my horse was nervous. I wanted to get on and go to not make my horse feel bottled up, but the other person expected my horse to stand, and we had a similar awkward moment. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a double standard. For my heart horse that will be mine forever and has a rock solid Plan B in case I die before he does, he is allowed to walk off from the mounting block after I'm on and before I'm settled. For anything that I'm starting from scratch or don't 100% control the future of or know that I won't own forever, they have to stand like goddamn statues, or else. I want them to have all options available to them if/when they sell, and that could mean going to a less secure rider or one with physical limitations or a younger rider, in which case they need to have good manners of all kinds, including standing at the mounting block.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like them to stand until I'm properly settled. I get there by way of clicker training. Click when I'm on, feed by my boot, click and treat after a variable amount of time. Walk away quietly. I won't make a power struggle out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I personally prefer a rock-solid stand until I say go because it's been my experience - particularly with horses used for lessons that weren't part of the regular program - that letting them walk off before I'm settled very quickly translates into them walking off when I'm trying to actually get on. Now, that said, if me fumbling around to get my right stirrup translates as "ask to walk off" to them, I don't usually fuss with it because it's not their fault that for some reason I cannot reliably get that right stirrup when I first get on without at least three rounds of feeling around with my toe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm, I find it one of those, per animal per situation deals. I expect the horse to stand quietly at the block but once my foot is in the iron, I kinda go with the horses flow. With L, he was cold backed so he got a cookie to stand quietly at the block, and it was a toss up if he walked off once I was on or not. Dee will stand quietly and I ask her to, but I've found the days she does go walking off as I swing on it's because she's not totally secure in either the location or how I got on. Or in last weekends case, she hated the saddle and was uncomfortable. I think I'm nailing her harder for it because she is a blank slate, but with horses I don't know or trained horses, I let it slide as long as I can get on safely. I was always taught the most dangerous moment in riding is mounting, you are the most vulnerable. So the horse has to stand still for me to put my foot in the iron and at least swing up, after that if they want to walk off, as long as they aren't bolting away I'm ok.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Standing quietly until I say they can walk off is probably my First Commandant. Ehh, maybe second behind getting on the trailer lol. If I get on anything that walks off as soon as my foot is in the stirrup or even my butt has just touched the saddle I will get right back off and rinse and repeat until we're standing patiently.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great topic! My own horse I of course started from a 2 year old so standing still was integrated early on in his education and was never an issue. He is also pretty docile and is more than happy to not move his feet. I have always kind of been pretty stern about standing at the mounting block, because like you said it's pretty vulnerable for the rider. And cmon horse, just don't move your feet. Easy! But ... over the years I have have gained the wisdom to know that sometimes its safer to let them walk off, rather than hold them and make it an issue. It's something I would continue to work on, but yes there are some horses that I would let politely walk off.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I definitely prefer they stand until asked to walk off! Promise was notorious for cold-backed crow-hopping, and if I wasn't settled with a firm grip on my oh sh!t strap before she moved off, I didn't get to choose to bail on my own, because I was a goner.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like my horses to stand. But, how long they stand is up for discussion. Nay is pretty good about standing until I'm 100% on, but once I'm on he does want to move so we walk a few steps (pretty slowly) and then we stand again and I get completely settled. This seems to work. Walking while I'm getting on is a deal breaker for me.

    Nay does NOT like to be held at the block. If he's antsy and I need help? Someone can stand at his head. He's fine with that. But holding his head? Nope. Actually, he gets super stressed if anyone holds his head anywhere...except me. I can hold his head all day long. Someone offered to hold him while I tacked him this summer as he was acting like a fool. He could not. I ended up holding him while she tacked. This might be something I have to work on... Random people holding his head.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to be pretty ambivalent about it - as long as the horse was calm when they walked off after I got on, I didn't really mind. Then I got Madigan and sent him to baby school and he was trained from the get-go to stand quietly at the block until his rider told him to go. Now I want them all to be that way because it's so nice to get on, adjust, and set off when you're ready. I don't start a fight with horses who don't do that, but I do spend time trying to improve their manners!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love reading all the responses. May is a terror about standing at the mounting block. Forcing her to do so is a recipe for disaster. Honestly, any form of strong restriction like that sends her into fight or flight... hence broken crossies, trailer ties, etc over the years. But she does need to walk off civilized vs. trying to run off, which was her habit before I got her.

    Grayson... being the anti-OTTB he is... stands pretty much perfectly still at the mounting block. So much so that I almost yeeted myself straight over him the first time because I expected him to walk off like May. So... i guess I take an individual horse approach to it... as long as its *my* horse. I would be a lot more strict with a sale/lease/lesson horse.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This reminds me a lot of the early days with Annie, wherein she would, under no circumstances, stand quiet once she was sat on.

    I think the end goal should always be stand quiet and wait until told to move off. However, how we get there and the incremental steps we take to get there is something we should not forget the importance of. With Annie, it took a lot of work and time to get her as nice as she is now. However, it also comes with trade offs. For example, my bargaining chip with her is a treat of some kind (usually carrots) once I mount up. She knows to hang out because chances are, she'll get another carrot.

    And for Spud... there is NO bargaining when he is hooked to a cart. Halt means halt, forever and ever amen. Having a horse walk off while you're trying to get into a cart is SO unsafe. His halt was drilled into him from the very beginning and he has no room for error, ever. Even on the days he has slip ups (because errors DO happen), we go back to the basics and it is corrected immediately so it doesn't turn from one step to five steps.

    ReplyDelete
  17. In the course of my long term time with a horse I absolutely need them to stand at the block until signalled to walk off. In a more short term context, that can be a work in progress for weeks or even months. And that's just fine. Case in pony (I meant point but Google suggested pony so I'm running with it): Speedy is still pretty medium at this away from home, especially if the block is out in the open vs in an arena. That's okay, we just need more outings and to do some dedicated practice on those outings.

    I'm sure others have touched on the safety issue (I didn't read other comments yet so I could give my virginal and unbiased thesis), so I'll instead point out that this is a really useful index behavior. If Speedy squirts off from the block, especially before he's had his mounting block treat, I know his mind is NOT with me that day. So I need to pay closer attention to getting him back to me and making a productive ride of things. If he avoids lining himself up I know he's really, really not with me, and I might do some ground work or games to get there. I've absolutely used his mounting block behaviour to determine the course of that days ride, changing plans from a determined flat school to a fun check-in ride or trail day. And he's never "used it against me" -- if you believe horses are capable of that type of thing. Mostly because he's a very lovely creature who generally really wants to work with me, but I also hope because I respect when he tells me he needs a chill/fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm pretty firmly in camp "they need to stand rock solid until asked to move off". It might not seem like a big deal at home if they sort of calmly saunter off the second your butt is in the saddle, but when you allow that behavior in their normal and calm environment, it's only going to be amplified when you go somewhere new and exciting like a show or a trail ride and that can translate into them starting to move off earlier like when just your foot is in the stirrup. Combine that with a possibly less than ideal "mounting block" aka step stool and that's now a bigger safety issue. Qbert was bad about this when I got him, at home he would wait until I was in the saddle to start walking off, but it was always his idea not mine. Fast forward to our first show and in his excitement he couldn't quite wait as long and I had a tough time scrambling into the saddle onto my 17 hand horse off a little step stool over concrete.

    I wouldn't expect green horses to be perfect about this, or for it to be something that can get fixed in a training session or two (it took me several months of insisting that Qbert stood until *I* told him to walk before that became the new norm), but absolutely that should be the end goal. I also would try to have reasonable expectations about it, like I wouldn't expect a green horse to have to stand for 5 minutes at the mounting block either. And for what it's worth, I like using a mounting block in the middle of the arena so the horse doesn't feel as trapped, because if you have a horse that is already a little anxious about the process then having them in a chute between a wall and the mounting block is putting additional pressure on them.

    I remember it being a little tough with Hero at first because he was used to the jockey being tossed up on him when he was walking, so I know how it can be with these OTTB's! 

    ReplyDelete
  19. I personally need horses that I am riding to stand at the block until told to walk on, or at least be easy to halt after a few steps to adjust their balance. I've already broken my back twice, so I tend toward more caution than a lot of folks. Plus, most of my experience growing up was at girl scout camp or therapeutic riding centers, where you often had to adjust stirrups or give instructions before walking, so that's more normal to me. That said, I totally understand it being difficult for some horses for various reasons, so other people can do whatever works for them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm like you. I want them to stand long enough to safely get my foot in the stirrup and be partially across the saddle. I don't mind if they politely walk forward at that point. I do mind if they take off trotting, or otherwise out of control.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.