Tuesday, October 10, 2023

tack tuesday v2.0

Local folks might already be versed in the greatness that is Maryland Saddlery. This small business has three locations across Maryland and Delaware, plus a robust website. 

Their inventory is entirely consignment and overstock items (particularly rider apparel), and their consignment crediting program is attractive enough that they do a brisk business with all sorts of local equestrians. Personally, I've been buying and selling through them for years. 

behold: an ancient Beval Stanford, clearly well loved (and used), 17.5 (4.5") medium tree. priced to sell
In particular, MD Saddlery's used saddle trial program is honestly my favorite. Staff is knowledgeable and helpful, and can assist you in browsing the racks if needed, or provide feedback on how you look in the saddle on a few of their in-store 'ponies' (tho they also have mirrors for this purpose too). 

Then you're allowed to take up to 3 saddles home for a free week long trial, after providing credit card information (no initial charge is applied). Not gonna lie, guys, I've enjoyed a pretty liberal use of this policy over the years --- including that one time in 2015 when they let me take home FIVE saddles to try lol. 

among many repairs on the saddle: new billets!
The most shocking thing to me in learning about saddle fit (and I say this as a decided amateur) is the huge difference between how a saddle looks at the store, vs how it looks on the actual animal. I guess trying to fit two distinct 3-dimensional objects together can be that way sometimes. 

So the trial program has been so so useful for me in giving me room to: 1) SIT in many, many saddles; 2) put those saddles on actual horses; and 3) determine what fits look decent enough to actually trial ride in, vs what fits are immediately rejected.

1. wow, i hoped it would look sittable (obvi), but that looks pretty freakin fitted!
2. i also suspect these panels are not original
There is honestly no immediate urgency in saddle shopping for Doozy, although I'm sensing that our borrowed Pessoa is maybe less than perfect. Plus, ya know, we expect Doozy to undergo significant physical changes and growth in the next year (assuming she doesn't get summarily dismissed before then....j/k, sorta). 

So I'm not super inclined to buy a really nice saddle. Like, ok, an argument can be made for buying with an eye toward resale value... But, eh, a lot of things would have to be really perfect for me to go that route --- including the horse haha. 

guys i swear she has a nice face haha, she's just always mid-expression when i take a pic!
As it is, I'm ready to start looking around. And found a nice old Beval Stanford on the racks with panels that seemed to be about the right shape (ie, FLAT), decent thigh blocks and geometry for me, and brand new billet straps. And it was comfortable to sit in on the in-store pony. 

Obvi it's not going to be as nice as Charlie's $2,000 French L'Apogee monoflap, lol... But ya know. Compromise is not a dirty word. I'm a practical gal, ya know?

picked up a dinky little half pad too -- it's thinner, squishier, and more flexible than charlie's sheepskin
Anyway. I brought the saddle home, tho also mentally bookmarked another nice old saddle, a Bruno Delgrange that was clearly of a higher quality construction, with a price to reflect, but whose leather was actually in worse shape. Plus the panels looked more swoop-y. 

Which, it's always a gamble just going with one saddle, bc what if you put it on and it's an immediate reject?? But, either thru luck or practice, the Beval looks about as good as I could have hoped for just sitting ungirthed and unpadded on the horse. 

and y'all know i'm a sucker for fun gadgetry, particularly hardware like stirrup irons lol... the 20% tent sale discount on top of the consignment pricing made these a no brainer, i'll let you know what i think!
We even pulled out the Pessoa to compare and contrast. 

My sense of the Pessoa is that it's concentrating too much pressure on the trapezius, with not enough contact and stability through the panels under the seat. This Beval at least looks like it could fix that - tho we'll have to see if it surfaces its own set of fit issues. 

legit the actual worst stirrup leathers, but i keep them bc they're worth more to me as spares vs trying to sell them
And, obvi, it's gotta work for ME. I'm maybe a bit of a heretic when it comes to saddle fit. Given the choice between a perfect fit for the rider OR the horse, I'll go with rider fit every time.** Mostly bc... In my experience as a decidedly amateur rider who has been described as having 'fragile balance,' I need to feel secure and solid in my saddle. 

From the horse's perspective, carrying a rider and saddle that are operating as a single unit together is maybe more comfortable than having a rider moving all over the place against the saddle, constantly shifting balance points. Idk, ymmv, but after getting massively burned in the whole Kent & Masters saga, I take rider fit pretty seriously now lol.

**Obvi caveat to say that if the fit is BAD for the horse as in causing pain, that's a no-go. I just mean like, generally imperfect - as most things in life kinda are....**

fortunately for us (?), i can be resourceful with getting media when the occasion calls for it! 
So. Our trial has officially commenced, somehow coinciding nicely with Doozy... actually maybe FINALLY (*knocking on wood*) starting to make strides as a riding horse. Coincidence? Who knows. We'll take it, tho. 

Stay tuned for more details on our first ride in the saddle --- including, omg, Doozy's first little cross rail jompies!!! And canters!!!! 

And in the meantime, do you have any tried 'n true criteria for evaluating a new saddle? A brand you always gravitate toward, or a fitter you trust above all others? Or do you just kinda wing it, like me, testing out whatever's on the tack store sales floor? 



13 comments:

  1. Knocking on wood like crazy. C'mon Doozy, you've got it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fingers crossed Doozy! Saddle fitting...has been an absolute nightmare. I have no positive experiences to report, lol. We need to fly people in to us for a limited pool of clients, so it's hard to book the same person each time. Result is we've ended up with apparently super qualified and licensed fitters directly contradicting each other about a saddle's suitability just a few months apart (and not things that would be explainable by horses changing shape)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ugh yea, don't even get me started on saddle fitters... some of the most unsuitable saddles i've ever purchased were in coordination with and at the advice of a fitter. luckily they aren't required participants in the process, so i just try 'n buy without them!

      Delete
  3. taking saddles out on trial was my second-favorite thing about working at a tack store (the first was the employee discount lol)! I loved getting to get a feel for how different brands fit my body and my horses. I feel like the experience made me more knowledgeable about what to look for when saddle shopping and made me feel empowered to question saddle fitters when I felt like something was amiss.

    fingers crossed this one's a winner for Doozy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh i always really liked your posts about trying saddles! it might sound stupid, but before reading your posts, i'd never really consider just sorta... trying saddles for the sake of it. that's honestly part of why i started taking such advantage of MD Saddlery's trial program in the first place, even with saddles i was pretty sure i wouldn't end up buying. it's such a great way to learn!

      Delete
  4. Those old Beval saddles are really nice. Hope it ends up working for you guys! My very first saddle was a Beval something. I can't remember the model, but it was pretty ancient when I got it. Like, no knee pads or rolls ancient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha my first saddle was like that too... an old HDR... so far i'm inclined to like this saddle!! the leather is a little slippery but that can hopefully be fixed. it's just hard to judge when i can't really do all the things in it that i hopefully WANT to do eventually! we'll see tho

      Delete
  5. That’s a great loan policy. I think the k&m happened before I found you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. honestly i love consignment tack shops so so SO MUCH!! for basically exactly this reason haha.

      and yea ugh the K&M... what a disaster... short story is, i worked with a new fitter, highly recommended (aren't they all), who helped me try a whole bunch of different brands etc, i trialed the K&M, got a bunch of feedback from trusted friends and trainers and whatnot (but, importantly, NO PICS -- big mistake!), and kinda disregarded balance issues i felt with trying to two-point etc bc i was just getting back into riding after breaking my leg and was like, 'eh i'm just weak.' ended up buying the saddle, finally started seeing pictures of myself in it and was like WAT THE FRESH F IS HAPPENING HERE, plus still had all these balance issues even tho i should have been getting stronger... realized it was a terrible fit to me, ended up selling it BACK to the same fitter who first fit it to me, but natch now at used prices instead of new, and also minus her commission, which i paid on both sides of the transaction. #neveragain

      Delete
    2. Oh. Ugh. That is unprofessional

      Delete
  6. That's a great policy to take advantage of! I did something similar with Q's saddle, I was able to take several used saddles back to actually try them on him and ride in them, and it was pretty apparent very quickly which one fit both of us the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome to have a supportive local tack shop with generous policies. I have bought stuff online from Maryland Saddlery but have not visited in person. It's hard to find local tack shops these days for all the obvious economic reasons.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.