Friday, October 20, 2023

a tale of two rides

Happy Friday, y'all!!! I'm still in the thick of things at the Maryland 5*..... But ya know, the schweet thing about local shows is that.... I can still go home and ride afterward! 

Caroline Pamakcu & HSH Afterglow, winning the 4yo Young Horse Championships
So I spent the day jump crewing the 4 year old Young Horse Championships, hanging out with Sarah, Fair Hill's perennial in gate steward

We were privileged to watch a very wide spectrum of horses presented. A really really nice spectrum. Everything from "holy shit talented, but Green AF // Hard to Ride" to .... "Oh yea, this one is gonna be useful wherever it goes!"


Obvi, inspiring as always. Considering.... The horses were all FOUR. And I happen to have a 5yo at home who may or may not (hint: may not) be capable of even hand walking in that sort of environment... 


So obviously I went home and enlisted the help of a friend to nab some quick video of me and Mondeuse --- not least bc this was the final day of our (extended) saddle trial. And it's been a while since we've had any footage. 

Obvi, lol, it's pretty funny/stupid to compare footage from my mere mortal self to a US Team rider winning a young horse futurity class... 

But... Ya know... I'm also stupid proud of my silly red mare who 100% appreciated the extra gravity of a second warm (equine) body in the ring (for the first ((real)) time) with her. 

Small, but also important steps y'all! Full ride recap probably to come later... but for now, just enjoy the vids! TGIF!

10 comments:

  1. OMG that 4 year old!! But also OMG Doozy! She's getting so much more relaxed and consistent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really is figuring it out!! Tho also definitely was much happier with another horse in the ring too

      Delete
  2. Ah she tries so hard. What a sweetheart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - the improvement in this video of both of you is impressive. She is much more steady and consistent in pace and steering at all gaits. I really like the addition of the running martingale. I can see her starting to let go and relax her neck. You seem more comfortable and secure and your position seems much better on her too. You guys look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I’m really happy with her — it’s a good feeling to finally be able to push her a little forward again instead of feeling like she might take off at any moment. The running martingale definitely helps with that LOL, tho I think I might loosen it a hole or two after seeing the footage.

      Delete
  4. She's got a lovely canter. This is going to be a nice horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed 🤞🤞🤞 she’s already so much more balanced than Charlie haha

      Delete
  5. Wonderful to have your horses live to close to such a cool show venue. I know when I go watch a horse show, it leaves me itching to ride! I noticed that other readers commented on how consistent Doozy looks, and that's exactly what I thought when I watched your video, how steady she looked. Go Doozy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's starting to look like a real riding horse! And hey, it's not fair to compare with a horse that's still on it's first career at 4. Doozy is already learning her SECOND career. She's way ahead of those four year olds!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.