Tuesday, March 5, 2024

tack trials + tribulations

Believe it or not, we're just a week or so shy of celebrating 7 months since Mondeuse joined the family! 

my selected trio of trial candidates on display at the Maryland Saddlery!
L to R: County; Amerigo; Voltaire
Things got off to a rocky-ish start when we descended into an alarming period of potentially serious unsoundness just 2 weeks into having her. Recall, Doozy's hind left leg -- which was recovering from significant wounds after a fence accident before I adopted her -- absolutely exploded into persistent and systemic cellulitis

this is all for you, Dooz! bc it turns out we kinda like you <3
Even as that infection slowly subsided, we still weren't out of the woods -- and the mare blew an enormous abscess out of her coronet band on the same leg. Probably all related, ya know?

only two actually came home tho -- another shopper happened to come into the store with the explicit purpose of taking the County home on trial, while i was still hangin out browsing the aisles. like, had apparently been searching for that exact spec saddle, and hustled over as soon as she could. the shop owner was basically like, 'Sorry it's already been claimed for trial!' but c'mon, no way. i just picked it kinda on a whim, ya know? anybody who knows the pain of saddle shopping would pay that forward and let the lady take the saddle, and i was more than happy to just say, "please, it's all yours!!"  to do anything else is basically begging to be cursed in saddle shopping for all eternity amirite?? lol...
That whole song and dance consumed the better part of 4 weeks, with no clear answers on whether it was likely the cellulitis would be a chronic or recurring issue bc of all the trauma that leg experienced.

first up - the Amerigo! not gonna lie, i have a strong preference for monoflaps
Meanwhile, I was also getting to know Doozy better. She's a very sweet horse with a strong desire to connect with the people around her --- both qualities I'd observed at the adoption facility that played a large part in my decision to take her on.

it's hard to get a symmetric pic no matter what lol, but doozy def is not a symmetric horse either
But ya know. I also thought she was on the quiet side of the spectrum. In retrospect, however, as she recovered from her infection it became clear that.... It wasn't so much that she was being "fresh" now; but rather that she'd likely been "subdued" previously bc of the brewing systemic infection. And I ended up with quite a bit more horse on my hands than planned. 

tried really hard to get her all straight and square for this pic, and this was still the best i could do
C'est la vie, amirite?? Soon enough, tho, we kinda got our sea legs under us and, in October, I invested in a 'beater' saddle to get us going

I had hoped the saddle would be good enough to last us a few months while Doozy gained weight and I evaluated the relationship. Tho, things took a bit of a twist when the mare filled out enough to actually make Charlie's drool-worthy French monoflap a passable fit!

padded and girthed and ready to go!
Tho ya know, Charlie and Doozy are... not the same size haha. Over time, Doozy has made it clear that "passable" isn't good enough any more, and there's just a little too much movement and "chatter" with Charlie's saddle. 

second saddle: the Voltaire! i sorta wished this one would be instantly rejected
Meanwhile, tho, Doozy has absolutely proved that she's a pretty cool horse. And has already started getting out and doing the things. She's also gained weight easily, put on condition nicely, and never misses a meal. So while realistically she probably will keep changing shape over time, I feel reasonably confident that she's a lot closer to a sustainable body condition now than she was 6 months ago.

was less careful with lining up square symmetric shots too bc i didn't want to like this one..
All this to say, the next saddle I buy for her will be with a longer term intention. Which means... I have to love it, like I love Charlie's saddle. 

alas, tho, this beautiful saddle also looked quite sittable!
The best part about having a "normal" sized thoroughbred tho is that... options abound!!! It took approximately 3 minutes to select a few *very nice* trial options at our local consignment shop, and literally both of them so far look like strong candidates to actually purchase. 

and so it got padded up and girthed too!! sans sheepskin tho, bc it would need a lower profile half pad. good enough to go without for the trial tho!
I really like a minimalist saddle when it comes to weight and layers of leather --- monoflaps strongly preferred. I like to basically feel like my entire inseam has direct connection to the horse, and particularly down the calf I don't like feeling like there's a 'ledge' or gap where the flap ends and my calf transitions from resting against the saddle to resting against the horse. 

Amerigo!
I also like a saddle that fits with a half pad. I dunno, ymmv. I like having that extra little bit of cushion there for when I inevitably do weird unbalanced things like get left behind or sit like a potato or whatever lol. This isn't exactly a requirement, but I feel like having that space also gives me more options for managing fit on a changeable animal.

Amerigo the second time (last night)!
Both of these saddles are very nice, and extremely comfortable to sit in. And there aren't any immediate red flags with either --- tho potentially things to keep an eye on with both. 

Voltaire!
I am biased toward the Amerigo bc it's a monoflap, first off. But also I kinda feel like overall the flap shape gives me more options for stirrup length too -- which is nice bc I'll likely end up riding a lot of dressage tests in whatever jump saddle I buy. 

But I also liked the Voltaire a lot more than I wanted to, to be perfectly honest. And in every ride with both of these saddles so far... I've honestly felt like, "yep I could buy this saddle."

ladies and gentlemen, take your bets!
So I'll keep riding in both. Definitely want to jump in both, preferably at a time when I can get video to review. And more than likely, I'll end up extending the trial for at least one - if not both. Mostly to give Doozy a chance to make her opinions clear too. 

So ya know. Wish me luck haha! And let me know what you think too --- tho, obvi, only if you're gonna be nice ;) 



18 comments:

  1. OMG yeah, you HAD to let her take the County or you would have been punished by the saddle gods FOREVER! I am generally not the biggest Voltaire fan, but I kind of like you in that one just a teeny bit better. Although I don't see anything BAD with the Amerigo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg the voltaire is so pretty, and so comfy!! it also has these really interesting panels that kinda extend farther than normal and seem to distribute contact and improve overall fit...

      for real, tho, my current leading favorite seems to be whichever one i rode in last, bc they're both so nice LOL!! i rode in the Amerigo last night and was like, "mmm maybe this one" so maybe i'll ride in the voltaire again tonight?? haha...

      Delete
  2. As a Voltaire owner, I'd say go with that one! And depending on how Doozy continues to grow and fill out, you can always send the saddle out to get the panels replaced to fit her instead of buying another saddle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a very nice saddle! the condition isn't quite what i'd like for the price tag -- tho the nice thing about going through the consignment shop is that prices are generally negotiable!

      Delete
  3. I like the amerigo better than the voltaire on her back, but they have an A shaped tree and for withers like hers, she might like a U shaped tree better to make sure there is no weight on the withers or the trapezius. As long as you have good clearance of both withers and on the sides at the trapezius with your butt in the saddle, its balanced on her back and she approves, it's a go! Then again, some horses go, PFFT SCREW THE MOLD, and she might be one of them. My mare refused to move in any A shaped tree, like to the point of throwing a hissy fit, and demanded a U shaped tree, which is why we landed in a Stubben.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol yea i'm a big believer in listening to the horses when it comes to saddle fit --- most of them haven't read the text books, but generally have strong feelings about their comfort!

      Delete
  4. It’s hard to comment because I’m a dressage person. That said, both look good. I kinda leaning towards the Voltaire. You look balanced in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are both super comfortable!! i've been dreading shopping bc i love charlie's saddle so much and don't really want to settle for anything less lovable.... but both these trial saddles give me a lot of hope that i'll definitely find something in my price range that fits the bill!!

      Delete
  5. I dislike saddle shopping for me, but it's kinda fun to to help someone else.... Lol!
    So, I think the monoflap fits your leg a lot better. That said, the Voltaire looks like it might fit Doozy a little better. From personal experience, I'm going to suggest you ride a few days in a row in the Voltaire to make sure you are still happy in it after that. I had one for a short time, and LOVED it at first, but after a couple weeks I had developed some hip pain. They sit you a little differently than most saddles I've ridden in, really opening up your hips. Which I liked a lot, I felt so much more secure and like I was really able to wrap around the horse. But in the end I also felt pretty crippled so I had to stop using it and sold it. Not saying you'll have the same experience, but I've heard it from others too. So since you have the chance to really try it out, definitely take advantage of that!
    I also love a really close contact feel which is why I went with Butet for my full sized horses. If they have any there to try, you should take one for a ride and see if you like it.
    Anyway, they're both beautiful saddles, and I'm sure you'll love whichever one you pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's interesting you say that about the Voltaire -- i haven't found it uncomfortable, but do feel like it creates more rotation in how my leg hangs from the hips, creating more of a toed-out position than i prefer. i wonder if this is basically the same thing that leads to folks eventually feeling uncomfortable? regardless, so far my preferences continue to go in the direction of the Amerigo, which can be custom adjusted to fit Doozy too. we'll see what happens!

      Delete
  6. I love the Voltaire on Doozy, but I agree that you look a little better in the Amerigo. Both seem like they can word :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fingers crossed!! the concern i have for the voltaire on doozy is that the panels aren't super different in shape and fit from charlie's saddle, which she eventually started protesting. so who knows, ya know? we'll keep testing and see what happens!

      Delete
  7. Has it really been seven months?!? I liked the Voltaire better not girthed, but feel like it lifted up a bit in the back once girthed up. I feel like both are actually a bit small for your leg, your femur looks pretty long and I feel like if the stirrups go up for XC your knee is going to be at or over the edge. I am built similarly and need a forward flap on some brands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea i definitely carry most of my height in my thigh bone.... and my friend kinda thought the same thing about running out of flap. but i'm not actually convinced of that yet. tho ya know... that's why these days i try to do EVERYTHING in a trial, complete with pics/video for obsessive study lol. more coming soon ha!

      Delete
  8. I can't believe it has been seven months already! Time flies (though you've been through a lot together already). Interested to see which one you end up picking. They both sound promising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's definitely been a strange passage of time --- with the early lameness, and then winter, and my semi-unconvincing attempts at 'nonchalance' lol... not gonna lie, tho, i'm quite fond of this little lady and she definitely feels like the type that can be a real partner!! fingers crossed!!

      Delete
  9. I can't believe it's been 7 months already!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg i knowwwwwww i literally wrote out '6' first until actually counting out the months... and meanwhile charles turns 15 in april... unbelievable!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.