Tuesday, January 2, 2024

closing quietly

Happy new year, everybody!! And happy.... return to the post-holiday normalcy haha, and the coming months of long winter slowness ;) 

dooz got a new (consignment) halter for christmas too. tho, uh, i guess she's not actually a cob? throatlatch is hella short, and had to replace the crown with the longest spare in my collection.... 
We only really whispered goodbye to 2023 around here -- no big "Fireworks" (unless, of course, you count Charlie's ridiculous antics haha!). But it was satisfying in a subtle sort of way to close the year feeling like there's so much ahead of us yet to come. 

such a sweet face!
Doozy has made all the difference for me and my horsey habit, and I'm really looking forward to whatever may come -- especially if Charlie ever gets his act together too!

figured out how to be patient in the barnyard while we wait for riding buddies!
We finished the year with two more dressage lessons, in which we worked on the minutiae of lateral suppleness. Including finding a feeling of yielding from one side to the other, three steps this way, three steps that way, all while maintaining an uphill feeling. 

zen about the various routes up to the jump ring!
This exercise really helps Doozy tune in to what I'm saying, asking for, etc, without locking up against me. Tho, in practice I've learned that it only really works if she's already on the aids. 

basically ok with puddles too!
We also worked on practicing slowing way down to find balance, then pushing the contact forward. She tends to want to rush forward, but then loses balance and gets even more rush-y and spurt-y.

lol ignore the little spook (bc #birds) and check out what a pro she is about the stream!
My hope is that by being a bit more... assertive in slowing down to show her where the balance is, she'll start to recognize that as a more comfortable feeling.

back to the barnyard again!!
Finally, we did a nice little solo school in the indoor (with cross rails!), and also returned to the jump ring a couple times. She was a little excitable for the indoor school, tho. It's so important for me to canter this horse as often as possible bc otherwise that's kinda the result, turns out.

also got around to a little indoor school. the two poles on the right side are spaced at about 18', and compressed one-stride canter distance that she did nicely (tho somewhat wildly) off both leads
We don't canter every ride -- like when I'm pushing other boundaries like riding out in the fields or trying out the dressage ring again. And those boundaries are also equally important. But if it's been a couple rides since we've cantered, Doozy loses that lovely "jumpable" cadence in her canter that I want so desperately to keep fostering.

learning to love life alongside the trailer -- with snacks!!
Fortunately it always comes back quickly -- like when we were out in the jump ring with Amy and Punky, and she put down some truly lovely (and adjustable!) canter laps on both leads, including some very pleasant trips over a canter pole. We'll take it!

snacks inside the trailer too -- and standing on the correct side!
Last little item on the 'to-do' list for the year was another trailer practice session. This went just as smoothly as our first session, with the aid of much supplemental snacks.

all tucked in and ready for a little micro-trip!
I know that's maybe a controversial method, and maybe later down the line when we're in a higher stress situation where food is less interesting to the mare, we'll have trouble and you can tell me "I Told You So." And that's fine lol. For now, I want easy breezy low key practice.

then more snacks, this time practicing being tied too
She was able to go up and down the ramp, go into both sides of the trailer, with me leading her from both sides, and sending (sorta) from outside the trailer (tho it's easier when I lead her in). She also let me close up the ramps and doors, and take her for a little spin around the farm, after which she unloaded nicely to be tied next to the trailer for more #snacks. 

"reading the news"
I'm honestly pretty nervous and uncertain about how things will go when we eventually start adventuring. But... one of my resolutions with this horse is to Say Yes to opportunity. To let myself get pushed a little bit again, to lean in to learning and education.

Not necessarily so that we can "advance quickly" or "get there" or whatever, but because big lessons and clinics and horse shows and adventures are all major elements of how I define joy in my horsey habit. Elements that were notably rare in recent years.

spending new years eve at #TheGame with friends was pretty excellent haha
To quote from a recent audiobook (Give & Take by Adam Grant, for those interested), "The purpose of this test is served by the preparation." In other words, outcomes are derived more from the day in / day out preparation, practice, and studying in anticipation of a test or trial, rather than from the test itself.

you're a good girl, dooz
So saying "Yes" to adding big scary/exciting lessons, clinics, or shows to the calendar is the perfect way to help me keep refining that preparation. Where are our strengths, and what are our opportunities for growth? What needs to happen in order to be ready for xyz...? And if I don't feel ready for some big exciting upcoming thing, why not? What has to change for me to say yes instead of no?

grateful for the mild afternoon sunshine!
I don't necessarily know exactly what I want from 2024 yet -- there aren't any big blockbuster goals. Except that I want to feel like we could do anything, be ready for whatever may come. 

So we'll see what happens! Anyone else feeling similarly optimistic for the new year? Or maybe you DO have a really clear sense of where you want to go, or what you want to happen? 



6 comments:

  1. So relatable to needing to find the balance slowly in order to then be able to go forward. Here's to a 2024 filled with adventures and pushing out of our comfort zones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'll cheers to that!!! i'm already looking at wildly inappropriate things to sign up for LOL

      Delete
  2. I don’t understand why people think that giving snacks during trailer loading is bad. I don’t think that any horse is too dumb to know what’s going on and say ‘hey wait a minute, this is a trap!’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol yea, my thoughts too.... tho the horsemanship guy i worked with, his point about the food was that it's basically not reliable. it doesn't create a "confirmed" pressure / response aid in the horse. in other words, the food might be plenty enticing when everything is all nice and relaxed at home or in a quiet practice environment. but in a higher pressure or stress situation when the horse is distracted or not otherwise interested in food, it doesn't leave you with a lot of tools to get them on the bus.... but, eh, i feel like we're still practicing all the same methods, i'm just greasing the wheels a little bit with the grain ;P

      Delete
  3. Happy new year. I am looking forward to seeing where 2024 takes you. I relate to the "say yes" mentality. My theme for 2023 was "just try it" and it served me well. After a long hiatus from doing what I love most, it felt good to be back. I hope 2024 and Doozy do the same for you <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year! I think you're doing a great job with Doozy and introducing things like trailering slowly and with snacks just makes it all easier for her to feel comfortable. Maybe you can take her places when the weather allows just for a hand walk around to start. Just baby step your way to fun adventures. There's nothing wrong with that!
    I think she'll surprise you and not be too kooky about new venues. As a race horse, I'm sure she traveled a fair amount and had to work in new places. She just has to understand the difference in the two jobs... That's the trickier part. But honestly, your farm is so big and has so many different places to venture, I think that will translate for you too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.