Tuesday, May 10, 2022

(topical) drugs of choice

Just about 7 years ago, I learned some hard truths about wound care and management. Isabel and I were a few years into our lease and finally feeling like the pieces were coming together. She was a hardy mare, tho, and I'd never owned before. And let's be real, some stuff you just plain old can't suck out of your thumb. 

heel slice. look closer and you'll see a grab from last year growing out toward the toe
For those who don't remember, Izzy's a chromey red arabian. At that particular moment in time, she had a minor interference wound on an inside hind cannon (right smack in the middle of her fantastic socks). I treated with my absolute favorite liquid bandage spray -- Alushield.

suspicions are that *somebody* was climbing thru the tensile wire reaching for grass
And. Lo and Behold, that entire leg blossomed into a months and months long battle with scratches. Maybe bc red and chromey. Maybe bc some topical sprays have exactly the right characteristics to covertly cultivate some nasty fungus.

some of the blue stuff is from prior treatments
Either way. Right then and there I resolved to avoid EVER using Alushield in skin-funk-prone lower limb areas --- really anything below the knee or hock. Not bc I don't love Alushield (it's legit my liquid bandage of choice for basically everything-not-a-puncture). But... Bc... #NeverAgain.

for real, tho, i hate coronet band wounds
True story, tho. Horses will still wound their lower limbs, regardless of whether you have a solid treatment method lol. So I've kinda been lowkey searching for a new favorite for these types of ouchies. 

locals know that bartville orange sticker lol
A couple trusted barnmates have always sworn by Red-Kote for general wound care (I understand it to be like a wound spray similar in application to the Alushield), and was especially interested when I spied Blu-Kote (same manufacturer) at Bartville a couple weeks ago. 

i've gotten a little nuts about reading labels since izzy's scratches fiasco
The key to this stuff seems to be its fungicidal and drying properties. Which... Naturally, Charlie immediately put to the test by getting hung up in the high tensile fencing back in March. 

No worries -- no serious injuries or lamenesses resulted from that encounter.... But the horse walked away with a very raw pastern and heel area. Not unrelated, those same areas are also often very skin-fungus prone....

tidied up and treated
I was really impressed with this stuff tho. There were maybe two back to back days of more intensive cleansing and rinsing with betadine etc before spraying on a Blu-Kote treatment. 

But... Honestly? After that? The wounds basically immediately looked dry, stable and protected -- and I stopped fussing with them entirely for the rest of their healing process (beyond occasionally testing a scab or two bc #pickersgonnapick).

don't believe that sad pony face --- he recovered fully, much to his chagrin
So it's official. While the Alushield silver spray remains a favorite for generalized bodily dings, dents, scrapes and scratches.... This Blu-Kote stuff pretty immediately secured a permanent spot in my medicine drawer. Specifically for lower limb woes.... but maybe more too! 

Obviously every horse person has their very favorite tinctures and tonics, ointments and oils etc. We all kinda know what we like and gravitate toward prior experience etc. But this was a useful lesson for me that, ya know, there are a LOT of really really fantastic products out there, only a fraction of which I've ever actually used. 

Which leads me to my question to you... Do you use either of these wound care products (Alushield or Blu-Kote)? Have you had similar experiences? Or maybe you have an entirely different roster of go-to products? Have you had to learn the hard way about using a treatment incorrectly? Or do you also have tried 'n true Old Faithfuls that you'll stick to thru thick or thin?? Curious minds want to know lol.





17 comments:

  1. I love Blu-Kote. It's amazing. I use it on Irish's lower legs after I clean off the pee (from his incontinence). I find it coats and prevents more build up and scald. I haven't been able to find some lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh I can totally see how it would work for that — I was super impressed with its coverage and stick-age lol. But ugh hopefully it’s not caught up in more supply chain woes…..

      Delete
    2. It's now banned for sale in Canada. A few years ago they took everything off the market that had gentian violet in it due to an increased risk of cancer. No more blue sprays.

      Delete
    3. ooooh, hm i was not aware of that. does the same "blue" principle apply to stuff like thrush buster?? i obvi always try to avoid getting any of this stuff on myself (bc it stains etc)... but it never really occurred to me that they might be toxic. hm.

      Delete
    4. Yep - we can't get Thrushbuster up here either. I'm definitely hoarding my one container of that!

      Delete
    5. My blu-kote is gone after careful hording. I have tried Silver Honey which works well as a topical but doesn't provide the coverage. Next time I'm in the U.S. I'm going to stock up.

      Delete
  2. I use Alushield religiously but up to now (knock on wood) haven't had many lower leg injuries - will make a note of Blu-Kote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh Charlie has kinda a weird grazing stance so he’s always sticking his legs somewhere they don’t belong… luckily his only real serious fungus outbreak was on his white foot but I still don’t wanna take any chances !!

      Delete
  3. Interesting about alushield on the lower legs. I have a sensitive "Fred" that is a scratches magnet...lol For the nerdy amongst us, gentian violet, one of the key ingredients in "blu-kote" type products was banned in Canada in 2019. I'd wear gloves when using it, just in case.
    (https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/health-canada-warns-canadians-potential-cancer-risk-associated-gentian-violet)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's Laura commenting! Not sure why I'm anonymous above. LOL

      Delete
    2. so my experience with alushield made me suspect that it kinda creates the perfect surface environment for fungus, plus it hides the scabs as they develop, so that by the time the silver wears off or is washed off, you've got a full blown outbreak. or at least, that's how it was with isabel. it's obvi entirely possible that she was gonna have that outbreak no matter what and the fact that it was perfectly covered by the alushield (and the exact same size and shape) might be coincidence... but, eh, i'm not gonna test my theory LOL!

      and that's so interesting about the gentian violet, i had no idea but just saw another article too (below). i generally avoid getting it on my skin bc it stains, but will definitely be more careful now!!

      https://horse-canada.com/horse-news/veterinary-products-gentian-violet-cancer-risk/

      Delete
  4. I used to be a blue kote user but my barn is huge on the scarlex and I finally used it for opie's gnarly puncture wound this fall that was taking forever to heal correctly. It was INSTA difference to the point I chucked the blue kote because I can't see ever choosing it over the scarlet oil now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya know I’ve heard great stuff about the scarlex too, but that’s another one I haven’t tried. The blukote grabbed my attention bc of its fungicidal properties but I’ll def keep that in mind!!

      Delete
  5. I don't want to say I haven't dealt with many wounds, but I do like to use No Thrush powder for any open cuts. The dry powder is good cuz it sticks to the open skin and keeps dirt etc out. It's also great to treat scratches (and thrush). It's my firs go-to for any cuts. I do like hearing about other people's fav stuff, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. interesting, i don't think i've ever seen No Thrush powder -- but i actually do tend to love powder type applications for exactly the reasons you describe. i'll keep an eye out for it!

      Delete
  6. I love Blu-kote. I've used it on my horses, goats and dogs so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen Blu-Kote (or heard of Red-Kote) before, thanks for bringing both of these onto my radar

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.