Monday, April 15, 2019

a solid leg stretcher

This post is a little late coming out bc as I sat here last night, in the happy fog of a horse show high.... Well, honestly? I didn't really know what to write. Didn't really have the right words, or expressions for what I wanted to say, or how I wanted to say it.

"i'm here to eat carrots and tear shit up. and i'm all outta carrots." - charlie, probably
Sure, there will be plenty of nitty gritties to dig into from a phase-by-phase perspective (aren't there always?). But first I generally like to spend a little time evaluating the impact and impression of any particular event as a whole.

So. What is there to say about Charlie's 2019 season opener at Loch Moy Farm's MDHT Spring Starter?

good boy jumping around the construction zone
The long and the short of it is that I couldn't be happier with this horse. I still don't know how I got so lucky with him. He's an amazing athlete, so sweet and pleasant to be around, is infinitely forgiving, and truly seems to enjoy and want to do all the things I want to do. He is FUN to ride, and light years more capable than I am haha.

What more could a girl want?? My inner 12yo is rejoicing <3

grateful as always for being able to enjoy these moments with friends! also, brace yo'selves, Austen Photos are coming!
Our dressage is still not "classically" good haha, and you already know from my last lesson recap that we're currently a bit weak and under powered. The judge agreed haha, and our score was not competitive. That's only a fraction of the story tho, right?

Obvi more to share on that later, but overall Charlie gave me an extremely satisfying dressage test. He carried his own self in a steady balance, was reasonably soft across his topline, and generally was very obedient. We had a couple oopsie moments, but nothing major and I was extremely pleased with the test.

From Charlie's perspective, he would have left the ring feeling like he did exactly what was asked of him, and that he was a good boy. Yes sir, good boy.

helmet askew, lost stirrup... all manner of shenanigans lol, but charlie seez da jompy!
For the jumping phases, I worked extremely hard on my own attitude and mindset. Reminding myself that "This is the FUN part" and that I'm "Excited" to do it. And?? It WAS fun!

Obviously I'll have a ton to write about each phase, with all the corresponding media, per usual. From a high level perspective, tho? It all went really well.

the reason behind the previous photo's absurdity haha: the Charlessaurus strikes again!! ("jumping" into the water lol). in his defense, it was a surprise blind turn into the water. honest boy really went for it tho!
Charlie put in a surprisingly rideable show jump round over a course that was mostly pretty well suited to our strengths vs our weaknesses.

And cross country?? It was so good <3 <3 <3

I had walked the course the day prior while there to scribe for the YEH/NEH jumping tests, and felt pretty good about everything. All the jumps are obviously a little small at this point, but the course involved enough technicality to properly test our mettle. It looked FUN, and I figured if I repeated that to myself often enough, maybe I'd finally believe it lol...

let's see that from another angle, please LOL
Still plenty of room for improvement tho haha, as always. Right off the bat, Charlie was perfect out of the start box. Not a single hint of napping or sucking back toward the trailers. Yessss!!

The middle part of the course contained the two elements that loomed largest in my mind: a bending line half coffin to a skinny; and a down hill single. But before we even got there, I legit almost took a bath when Charlie ATTACKED the water after a sneaky blind turn into it. Haha. Hahahaha..... Oh dear god.

Luckily I did *not* fall off (tho lucky you, I have media of the whole thing omg, stay tuned!) but it was jarring enough that, knowing we had some challenges ahead, I ended up riding Charlie quite a bit under pace for most of the mid section of the course.

It didn't matter tho - he was a star. Jumped everything from wherever I put him. Locked on easily, never questioned anything. Never got distracted. Remained extremely rideable - esp to that downhill jump, much to my amazement haha.

Finally for the last portion of the course we had an uphill climb wherein I finally let him move out a bit more, and he stayed perfect. Good good boy, Charlie.

it all worked out tho <3 charlie got to strut like the champion he is all the way back from the finish line
So overall, all three phases were conquered, and we moved up to finish 5th on our dressage score. Yessss!! The work I put into my mentality going into the event really helped - it was fun. Even in the moment haha.

The work Charlie and I have done in our training has been good too. The jumps feel very small for Charlie, and the course's technicality was totally within his abilities, even with the, er, ahem, surprise at the water haha. And as with any event, we'll be able to walk away from the weekend with a better idea of what needs more work, and how to keep improving.

And at the end of the day tho, it felt really good to get out there and do the things again. For whatever reason, whenever we have any lengthy drought between outings (even if it's just bc of normal "winter off season" haha), my self doubt and impostor syndrome always creeps back in.

This weekend was the perfect way to dispel all those feelings tho, and help knock the rust off. We got out there, both of us knew what was up, and we were able to execute effectively as a team. And enjoy it in the moment. Again, what more could a girl ask? Stay tuned for more details soon!


44 comments:

  1. YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!

    I almost died laughing when you texted me that picture yesterday. Not as almost as you came to dying, tho, bahahah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha you should have heard the squeals when i first saw the video omg..... CHARLES ATTTTACKKKK!!!!!

      Delete
  2. Yay!!!!!! The mindset is my favorite part of this entire post. I think Charlie went into it with the same one LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha thanks ;) and yea the mindset was such a big deal for me. i get my bravery from charlie and sometimes when i feel him start puffing up in the atmosphere, it makes me think he's nervous or anxious too or whatever. but really he's not, he just knows what's coming. and at this event i was really able to plug into that same excitement with him, instead of worrying about it so much ;)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great spring outing to start the year off! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOOK AT HIS FACE. Charlie knows he won the whole event no matter what the results say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha seriously tho, charlie's pretty sure he must have *AT LEAST* gotten the attention of those tokyo 2020 selection committee members lol, and quite possibly won the entire sport of eventing for good measure too!

      Delete
  5. Good boy! I'm STILL LOLing at the water launch photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lololol that photo.... omg i was so freakin thrilled when i found out M got that on video!!!! :D

      Delete
  6. OMG, the view from your helmet cam is amazing! Congrats on a great first time out this season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol all i saw was LEGS!!! LEGS EVERYWHERE!!!! haha.... thanks tho, it felt like a great first effort of the year!

      Delete
  7. I have fun media from my... *ahem* moment this weekend too, hahah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah!! Glad you had a great ride on your first big outing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you ;) hopefully more to come eventually!

      Delete
  9. Love this mindset and LOVE this post!! Can't wait to hear about it in more detail.

    The various angles of "attack Charles" made me LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg, charlessaurus on the attack is a sight to behold!! and yes the mindset was such a huge part of this weekend. i really put the responsibility for my mood and attitude squarely on my own shoulders, and surprise surprise, it worked out!

      Delete
  10. OMG the water jump made me laugh out loud!!! Sounds like a fantastic event!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks hahaha, and YES omg that water jump.... definitely memorable!! i may or may not have a special video dedicated to exactly that moment, from various angles with slo mo lol....

      Delete
  11. Yay I'm so glad it went well! Lol at Charles superman-ing into the water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks haha!! that was definitely one of the more, er, *exciting* moments lol!

      Delete
  12. All I could think of the photo of the water jump was CANNONBALL!!!!!!!!!
    I am so excited and happy for both of you. Yay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol yes that description fits PERFECTLY hahaha! and thanks, i feel in some ways kinda relieved that it went well. not perfect, but it doesn't have to be ;)

      Delete
  13. Oh my gosh, look at that happy water pony! I love the enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha it really is contagious too, tho occasionally a bit tricky to keep up with!!! ;P

      Delete
  14. Yay for happy 12 year old dream pony feels!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Changing how you view a ride as "successful" is really key, if the horse performs well that is all you should as for sometimes. It really is all about the mindset and being happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Literally snorted at the view of Charles' legs from above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i gotta admit it was a little surreal sitting there, watching those legs and thinking, "hm i guess i'll fall off now?"

      Delete
  17. I'm cracking up at the water. It's never good when you can see front legs like that! Can't wait to see the whole thing, but WELL SAT! Sounds like a wonderful event and it just SOUNDS like a ton of fun, which is awesome. Looking forward to the nitty gritties, but loved the feelgood recap :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha thanks, if charlie's taught me ANYTHING, it's that i basically always wanna be in the backseat bc you never know when he might bust out some sort of unexpected dance moves lol!!! but yes, omg, so so so fun ;) nitty gritties coming soon!

      Delete
  18. LOL!!! Go Charlie!!!!! Cracking up at his giant splash into the water and can't wait to see the video from it :) So glad you had an awesome weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg the video is so incredible, from all angles haha. i'm working on editing a clip that's just his SPLASH, from various angles at various gratuitous slo mo speeds hahaha

      Delete
  19. You two are amazing. The water jump pic is priceless. Go Charlie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad you had a great, confidence building first outing of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG that jump into the water!!! Glad you guys had a good event, and I love all the media!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha that jump was bonkers lol, but thank god for pictures to remember it all by!! ;)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.