Friday, July 24, 2015

when inspiration strikes (another easy DIY)

Run with it.


picture is sideways - but this gives a better sense of what i was seeing
So you may recall that I built a lattice jump a couple weeks ago. It was super easy and really whet my appetite for building more fun (and cheap) fill for our jumps at home.


one pallet sawed in half
And naturally I started looking a little closer at some of the pics other bloggers posted - trying to see what all fun stuff you have to jump, and how easy it might be to replicate. 


painting the pallet was actually a huge PITA. so many different wood faces, and the wood itself was really rough and splintery... 
In particular, I noticed brush boxes in pictures posted by Jenn from Stories from the Saddle and Lauren from Dandyism. I'm not sure if the brush boxes in those pictures are made from pallets or not... but I have a free pallet resource so pallets it would be!


just needs a little more paint (and feet, actually... that left one esp needs a little more stability)
Plus my pallet resource happened to already have one that was sawed in half - bonus! I only needed to trim them up a little bit with a hand saw to get them to mostly even heights. The wood slats don't match up exactly, but I also don't exactly care lol.


and ta da! brush boxes (shown here without brush lol)
So there ya go. Another fast, cheap and easy addition to our jump equipment. I have no illusions that this thing will last forever or be nearly as sturdy as the lattice jump... but given the abundance of pallets it's also easily replaced. Now I just need to find some brush to fill it up!

35 comments:

  1. yes! come make all my fillers for me, would ya? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colour of that jump!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i really liked the blue on the poles, but couldn't find the same for my brush boxes. they *almost* match tho, sorta haha

      Delete
  3. I have several fillers made from pallets, and i have shoved the trimmings from my neighbours hedge in one, makes brilliant brush fence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome! that's kinda what i'm waiting for - some opportunity wherein lots of evergreen clippings are available since we don't really have any on our farm

      Delete
  4. Very nice!! My husband hoards pallets (we live above a furniture store so every time they get a shipment in he steals them... it's a problem.) and we have plans to make some coops and moveable xc-type jumps with them soon! If we're ever home at the same time on weekends and have time... haha... maybe this winter?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nice - i'll be super curious to see what you come up with since i have access to a free supply of pallets too

      Delete
  5. Love this! I thiiiiink my brush boxes are made from pallets....?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it sorta looked that way in the one picture i saw on your blog - tho i suppose it could just as easily be 2x4s lol

      Delete
  6. We have a pallet gate at our barn. I made some brush boxes from 2x4's many years ago- those are there too. So are homemade cavaletti boxes. Homemade = awesome. I love your boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree - homemade materials really are the greatest (when they're not a major massive miserable headache haha)

      Delete
  7. Man you are making major progress on your arena! It reminds me of when my friend and I went crazy on our arena at the old barn- if you need inspiration... Next your need a liverpool (aka tarp wrapped around some poles)!

    https://ourhouseonahill.wordpress.com/2013/08/19/more-rain-aka-tour-our-arena/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. um YES - that is definitely getting added to the list! also i love those chevrons and they don't look particularly complicated to make either.... ideas ideas!!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. haha thanks - mostly it's just opportunistic, and in this case it was just slapping on some paint (and screwing on little feet). a couple bottles of beer and you're done!

      Delete
  9. Nice! Pallets make really good fodder for DIY projects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they definitely do! it kinda sucks bc the wood is always really crappy quality, but you can't beat the price!

      Delete
  10. I've actually just been told I can use a load of pallets to make fillers so this could not have come at a better time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh nice! i'll be curious to see what all you come up with too!

      Delete
  11. Dollar store's typically sell fake plants that you can use as filler. Or you can ask a landscaper/neighbor/whatever for their trimmings. Or you can wait till Christmas and cut up a tree. Or you can get a coupon for a craft store and see if the prices are cheap enough for their brush/flowers. Many ways to Rome.

    As an ex H/J barn manager, I've had more than my fair share of painting jumps, building fill and standards, setting courses for hunter shows. And you knowww how much the hunter people love their flowers and fill!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great ideas re: fill and flowers. i will undoubtedly do one of those things eventually haha. for now the boxes are still empty... but we jump 'em anyway! and yes the former hunter in me appreciates all things flowery lol

      Delete
  12. Ohhh this is cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replies
    1. Haha thanks! If we want fun stuff to jump we better build it ourselves ;)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.