Tuesday, April 16, 2024

another contender

Days go by and I continue to dink around with various trial saddles. Tho, sadly, we've kinda exhausted the available stock within driving distance... and are now tiptoeing into the painful territory of paying shipping for each trial.

oh that innocent (but ultimately naïve) feeling when you first unbox a beautiful saddle!
It's pretty far from ideal, but... eh, so is the current selection of saddles in my tack locker. Charlie's fancy french monoflap helps me feel super secure and up for any dance move Doozy might be inclined to pull.... But it's just all wrong for her and she's making her feelings known. 

My predicament is that... I don't really want to downgrade from Charlie's saddle, but finding the same quality in a fit for Doozy is proving challenging. Especially bc I'm trying to be a little more 'by the book' about the process these days. Meaning: using a fitter. 

just your typical tb back
Long time readers might remember.... Ugh I am kinda a huge skeptic of that whole little cottage industry. Not bc I don't believe that there's a true art and science to fitting saddles to horses... 

But rather bc there's so much subjectivity in the field (I've had two fitters confidently tell me basically exactly opposite things about the same horse), plus a fair amount of dogma. Not to mention how even conceivably 'independent' fitters tend to steer clients toward the same saddle makers. Like, I always think it's funny when a fitter will say, "Oh yea I'm brand agnostic. Here is the universal search criteria for your horse!" and yet somehow only one or two saddleries will pop up in the search results lol....

placement ain't perfect in this shot but, eh, onward!
So ya know. I find myself in an uncomfortable position of paying (out the nose) for counsel that doesn't always feel entirely disinterested. 

But again. I have a good budget for the right saddle, and I want it to be a good fit for this sensitive special horse whose job is to carry me safely through various new life lessons and experiences, whatever may come. Thus, the enlistment of professional help.

My criteria? Monoflap pls!! Bc I like it and I want it, and ain't that enough??? Seat size not too particular, probably 17" to 17.5" -- mayyybe 18" but that might be pushing the boundaries for this shorter-coupled red rockette. 

My fitter's criteria? Wool flocked, narrow tree. 

the stupid faces i make when sitting in a saddle for the first time LOL
Turns out, it's shockingly difficult to find all those criteria in one saddle. I really hoped this lovely old Custom Monte Carlo would be 'close enough,' tho. It's a medium/med-narrow, with gigantic front gussets. 

she's working on her sainthood application
In fact, I found myself quite willing to fall in love with it! Sure, it didn't quite have that "at home" feeling of Charlie's l'Apogee... But I actually quite liked it! And felt quite comfortable. 

So I felt hopeful that any of the little imperfections in fit for Dooz could be resolved with adjusting the flocking. Alas, my fitter felt differently. 

just trotting my bebe wild child around the barn yard in a halter. like one does...
And ya know. Cool. That's fine. If it's not going to work, it's not going to work. I'll send it back, eat the cost of shipping. Eat the (three-figure-wtf) cost of getting the fitter out to do nothing more than say, "No." And resign myself to another evening spent scouring the web for yet another contender to waste $150 and a week of my time on.... (do I sound bitter LOL??).

looks nice, tho, eh?
Tho, don't get me wrong. My fitter was definitely right on this one. I actually knew it before our appointment --- but was just willing myself into hoping for an easy end to the saddle shopping torture. I want to be like water haha -- show me the easiest path of least resistance, and I will happily agree!

But. Eh. My barn mate Amy and I managed to sneak in a quick jump school on a shockingly windy, but otherwise pleasant, Saturday morning --- with the explicit intention of getting as much footage of me in the saddle as possible. 

next up: actual riding!
It was actually a good school too. Useful in a lot of ways. Our first time jumping since Windurra. I wanted to give Doozy a little more freedom to go forward after all the squirreling around on cross country --- but she quickly proved that, no no, she still doesn't know what she doesn't know. 

So after we bolted a couple fences, and she experienced a few distances that were going to be either "dear lord jesus that's long! / or / eeesh that's a crispy chip!" -- including one unpleasantly pulled rail... I kinda got my shit together and tried to, ya know, ride the horse as if my input mattered and made a difference. 

and jompies!!! sorry guys, we had a video malfunction so only my last little course was captured
And you'll never guess. The input *did* make a difference, and Doozy managed to (more or less) trot two fences, and then carried a decent canter to our final little vertical. Tho obvi keen eyed observers will still note that she made a bit of a bid for it in the last stride or two. Eh, one step at a time!

wherein we practice "simmering down now" after rushing a few 

It's hard to really evaluate a saddle in these conditions --- a rusty rider who... maybe wasn't ever particularly sharp to begin with (lol, sigh..), a horse who kinda takes a fair amount of riding at the moment, and tiny jumps. 

But even so, things didn't look super duper promising for this pretty little Custom. Turns out, there are some things even flocking can't fix! 

So. Back in the box it went, with yet another already on the way in.... Remind me the definition of insanity again??? Lol.....


14 comments:

  1. There is something about the F-ing narrow tree that makes saddle shopping extra miserable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh tellllll me about it. And I know you know this pain lol…. The world is FULL of lovely medium tree saddles on foam panels. Surely many of those are perfectly workable, right?! But noooooo, gotta get narrow and wool… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

      Delete
  2. I'm sure this is preaching to the choir, but when my gelding went through his 'I know how to do this' rushing fences phase (and would get annoyed when I tried to tactfully provide input) placing poles before and after every jump was our jam. That way he was gymnastically forced to slow down and learn not to rush or make a bid for the fences, without me having to get into a pulling match with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh yes! i love placing poles!! realistically, it's a lot easier to do stuff like that with a ground person, and (even more realistically) that ground person should probably be an instructor (lol), which honestly kinda boils down to "i should probably be taking more lessons".... we're working on it, tho! maybe i'll try to integrate more ground pole exercises into our dressage ring work now that we can more or less reliably wtc out there....

      Delete
  3. Oh bummer!!! I'm actually becoming quite fond of my Monte Carlo. I'm sorry it didn't with for the Doozy mare! Shipping saddles is such an expensive nightmare and seems so ridiculous both where you live and where I live. Yet here we are. Fingers crossed for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooooh i don't think i realized you had a monte carlo too! i honestly really liked the saddle and was legit positive that my fitter would be gaga for those massive front gussets.... but ya know, what do i know, right?? another saddle arrives tomorrow ($64 in shipping, but who's counting anyways #fml) so i guess cross your fingers for me?

      Delete
    2. Fingers crossed!! Goggles is in fact WIDE. I mean he's not a wide tree, but he is a genuine medium vs Ben who is so narrow and I hated every part about getting saddles for him. Maybe why the Monte Carlo works well for Goggles.

      Delete
    3. honestly doesn't surprise me about Goggles. he seems to have a lot of conformational similarities to Charlie, and Charlie is dimensionally LARGE. like his spinal column is legit the diameter of a fist. proportionally, not particularly narrow... but definitely broader just in bone alone than most TBs... definitely made for easier saddle shopping LOL!

      Delete
  4. ‘I’m a steeplechase horse now!’ Doozy (probably). 😁 saddle shopping is the worst and I hear you on saddle fitters. We had an excellent one in the area but she moved to Portugal. Her replacement has been annoying to deal with. I’m trying a new one in early May. Carmen’s saddle need adjustment and I’m hoping the one I have will fit Quaid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL @ "annoying to deal with." but also, ....seriously tho.... sometimes it's the WORST to have to outsource this stuff. like i legit don't know enough to do it myself, but reeeeally wish i did!!

      Delete
  5. I’m not sure if the jump saddles are the same for Custom, but I just had have my Custom Icon Flight tree adjusted by the Custom rep! Definitely would not have fit my thoroughbred without making the tree narrower though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so i'm far from an expert (LOL) but i'm like 99.9% sure you're right about the tree adjustment even for this saddle. my fitter mentioned it as an option, tho basically the way she put it was that... there's a risk of the tree breaking in the pressing process (esp given the age of this saddle -- i think it's about 15yrs old?) and the typical cost for tree replacement was more than 50% of the cost to buy the saddle in the first place. i guess her point was that for that value, i should be able to find something that's a closer fit right off the bat. we'll see tho, i'm not ruling that out as a possible future option!!!

      Delete
  6. Custom saddles are shockingly comfortable! That's what I ride in Shiny in, complete with the giant gussets. But she is the exact opposite of Doozey shape-wise.
    Sorry for the saddle woes. It's the WORST. But hopefully the right one will come along soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.