Friday, September 15, 2023

my practical stud kit

Alrighty then, friends, how about something a little different today? I used to do all sorts of fun and varied posts about, "what's in my grooming tote" and all that, back in the day... So why not, let's go for it again --- but this time with maybe a more specialty line of tools!

behold, my stud kit
Anybody who rides fast on grass for long enough eventually might start thinking about studs --- specifically, the little threaded cleats that screw into a drilled and tapped horseshoe. 

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on when studs are appropriate for you, that's definitely a conversation between you and your trusted team. Specifically bc there are implications on how the studs can modify and influence the way a horse travels - including by adding different stresses to the limb. So ya know. Do your due diligence. 

back in the day, when we used to do things
also omg can you believe i took him to a show in that halter???
But, generally, many riders -- particularly eventers -- who spend a lot of time traveling quickly across grass, while turning and jumping at speed, find that adding studs can give the horse that extra little bit of grip, confidence, and ability to keep his legs up under him and propel --- whether the ground is hard and slick, or deep and sticky.

one in, one out --- empty cavity filled with a Nunn Finer rubber plug
Charlie loves his studs. He's not the most steady creature on uneven (particularly downhill) terrain, and finds that studs give him the extra confidence he needs. I'm happy when Charlie is happy, so he's basically been drilled 'n tapped during competition months ever since 2018 (until, cough cough, this year, sob). 

said plugs, plus the stabby jabby tool (and accompanying wire brush) for retrieving the plugs and clearing the thread. pro tip: this wire brush is... insufficient
So here's the process. At his shoeing appointments, Charlie's farrier will drill and tap the stud holes into the shoe, two per shoe under the heel. Our longtime farrier would then plug the holes with oiled cotton plugs, a common choice for filling the cavity to prevent a bunch of dirt and debris from mucking up the threads. 

i have never in my life cleaned a stud, beyond the occasional pass with the wire brush on my tool
In my experience, the cotton rots over time, so I'd usually replace with little rubber pellets. These sometimes fall out, but overall, I've had good luck with them. 

Even so, just about everybody who has had to deal with studs has learned (the hard way, natch).... If it's been a while since you've tinkered with them --- don't wait for the day of your show to clear out the stud holes. Bc even with a plug, if it's been a couple weeks (or longer, cough cough), stuff can get hard packed in there. And plugs can disintegrate or fall out completely.

So clear out the holes, sharpen the threads, and insert fresh plugs the day before --- and congratulate yourself on show day for your prowess in preparation lol.

you are looking at possibly the most important tool of the studding business: the safety tap
I use a combination of tools to clean out the holes and threads --- starting with WD-40. Which might be controversial, idk. But everything with horses is controversial, so... suck it lol. Most stud kits come complete with a two-ended hand tool, wire brush on one end, metal spike on the other. 

In my experience, these tools are universally trash. They always bend and spin and I can never get purchase with them. Trying to dig out bits of rotten cotton that's been in there for weeks, as well as all manner of hard packed clay... It'll legit drive you to madness. 

So.... Second pro tip: Don't buy a pre-assembled kit. Just... Don't. Get good tools, and 1-2 sets of studs per your trusted team's recommendations. 

bionic wrench #4lyfe, and Distal Steel stabby jabby + thread cleaner is legit
I pounced last fall on this machined thread cleaner tool from Distal Steel, One end is a super sharp spiral blade that can dig into packed dirt and debris. It's curve is also the exact perfect diameter for stud holes bc... duh, it's designed by an actual farrier. This tool, for me, beats out the spikey point in all aspects aside from fishing out the rubber plugs.  

magnetic tray is a must. plus, ya know, various sorts of studs that you'll never use, and that one set you always use
The thread cleaner side is nice too, but ultimately, once each stud hole is essentially cleared of dirt and spritzed with WD-40, the ****Most Important**** step in my studding process is using the safety tap. I use this every time, no matter what, and always. And do NOT force it, tho, just back-forth-back-forth. Otherwise you'll legit strip your threads and too bad, so sad, that particular hole is wrecked until your farrier can fix it with proper tools. 

these, i always use these. ymmv. also, pls be advised to keep shoe on horse, yes?
For real, tho, the safety tap basically ensures all the threads are cleaned, cleared, and aligned, so that when you go to screw in the stud of your choice, it just.... goes. As far as your stud choices, again, talk to your people. Preferences vary by regional soil, terrain, and ground conditions. 

Generally, narrow and pointy is good for harder ground --- the better to pierce and hold. Chubby and round can be good for deeper soft ground. I often go for what kinda counts as a bit of a raised road stud -- kinda broad and not too tall, but with enough of a point to catch on what are often hard conditions around here. Tho I've also had very good experiences with more traditional grass studs too.

nice to have a proper adjustable wrench on hand for the occasionally hard-to-grip stud, plus a magnet-on-a-string for when you inevitably lose one in the grass
Anyway, to get the studs in, I typically use a bionic wrench. And I don't go crazy tight, guys, bc I'm not trying to twist my horse's hoof off his fetlock - let's be real. Just tight enough to stick.

all the better to get run the fresh fuck away with by your best friend
virtual cookies to anybody that remembers this old acorn
This overall approach and method has served me decently well -- I've never lost a stud, other than the pulled shoe above. And the studs themselves, which live a life of abject neglect (ie, no cleaning ever), get used until they're too worn down to give the intended grip. 

Actually, most of these pics are from this week --- when my kit hasn't seen action since Charlie won his CT at Thornridge last April. And everything is more or less how I left it. 

Hopefully maybe someday soon (dare I hope for this year?) we'll have a need again... But eh, in the meantime, we'll be ready. Have you ever had to deal with studs? Do anything majorly (or minorly!) different from what I noted above? Any tips or tricks to help folks avoid certain headaches??



8 comments:

  1. I feel very seen with this post 😂. Ryan took the "stabby jabby tool" and asked who TF had designed it for use around horses feet, said it was an accident waiting to happen to human hand or horse's leg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not gonna lie, i feel that way about almost every normal farriery tool LOL. like, the set of nippers i have will literally take your finger off if you aren't careful....

      Delete
  2. I invested in a couple of small wrenches when I got my stud kit. My studs came in two diameters (annoying), but with a bit of experimenting at Home Depot I found that one wrench works for most of them and a size up works for the rest. No more fucking around with trying to grip the stud while twisting. But the most genius part, in my opinion, is that the smaller one has an end that is ratcheting, so I don't even need to turn full circles or adjust the wrench. Just crank crank crank and I'm good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh nice! the ratchet is such a nice feature! all my wrenches are adjustable --- like the bionic one is so easy to tighten and release to get basically the same sort of cracking mechanism as the ratchet, gotta love modern tools!

      Delete
  3. Well this was REALLY an eye opener. Is I dont ride eventers I dont use studs. Please give us a SIMPLIFIED example of do's and dont's for using studs. Exactly where they should go and where they should be put. ETC. Not that I am an illiterate horse riders but I am a veterinarian and just so happens I dont have many eventers as clients. My practice is Waaaay down South (in Africa ) and my clients mainly do Working Equitation. And Reining. And Endurance. And Working Cow horse. BUT I would really like to know mare about studs on horse shoes. My only clients who use them are carriage horses....And I think only one owner of American Saddlers has used "studs" on horse shoes. ( Cheryl McCrindle)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks ! i don't pretend to be an expert or authority on this matter, and this is NOT a how-to guide by any means. the agency that administers your vet license will probably have better documentation or literature related to best practices for using studs. or you can search google for existing professional documentation.

      Delete
  4. I have the simplest tool in all the land for the initial de-plugging... I use a horse shoe nail. Lol! That tool you have looks pretty cool though, I'll have to look into that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of the horse shoe nail (one even comes in the package of stud plugs !) but it just isn’t super practical when there is weeks worth of hard packed clay, I need a tool with a longer handle that’s easier to grip and get leverage on.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.