Wednesday, August 9, 2023

The Plan: New Horse Edition

Y'all might have noticed by now, but I tend to be a planner. I like doing things in an orderly, methodical fashion. Creating logical hierarchies wherein each incremental activity naturally progresses into the next, until, step by step, we arrive at the prescribed destination. 

let's use the photos in the post for a little unrelated trip down memory lane, yes? let's revisit all the red mares who played starring roles in my journey as a rider and horse person <3
Why yes, I'm very fun at parties lol --- why do you ask??

Toby! she was not the most popular lesson horse, but i really loved her. a few red mares preceded her -- Missy, for the newest of riders, then Sugar, a sweet ornery thing to help you learn early to stay humble....
Lol, just kidding. Sorta. For real, tho. I'm not getting a second horse for my health. In fact, it's probably true (even if nobody's ever asked) that 9 out of 10 doctors would recommend strongly against a second horse. Esp one fresh off the racetrack. It's probably a safer bet that 10 of 10 financial advisors would be even more strenuous in their opposition. 

spent a lot of time in middle school riding this elegant creature, plus riding her at one of our annual "demonstration" type shows meant i actually have pictures
But I'm doing it anyway. So.... why? And, if that "why" is so important to me -- which, it is -- then what am I doing to get us there? What are those incremental steps? The methodology??

some favorite red geldings in there too -- far left is Ace, far right is Chauncey, both very good (red) boys. Rusty, second from left, somehow remained one of very few horses i never rode at that barn
And ya know. I'll be perfectly honest with you, I do not have an expert answer to that question. I don't do this for a living -- I do it for myself. But, I have done it a few times now. And maybe I've been lucky, but every horse I've "gotten going," so to speak, ended up being a horse I really truly enjoyed.*

(*Except Angel.... Sorry lady, you were a tough nut to crack!)

in high school, there was liver chestnut Candy. we didn't have the most successful partnership, tbh, but i got along much better with other red mare -- Penny. alas, no pics of us together tho.
So my hope is to proceed along basically familiar lines with Mondeuse. In some cases, nearly identical lines to how Charlie's earliest months unfolded. The order might be a little different this time around, depending on what surfaces as the most urgent priorities given the mare's condition and reaction etc. But the steps will probably be the same.

fast forward to college, and we arrive at my first official 'project horse' - Ellie Mae, red TB pocket rocket lovingly referred to as "Smelly" <3 she taught me so, so much. another red mare in college, Rosa (a finely trained creature, not a project), also taught me a lot. slightly less lovingly tho, lol, but still useful all the same! 
In this case, we'll be starting ulcergard on day 1. It's just a thing I do. Charlie's favorite chiro / acupuncturist is also already scheduled for a double session. She was among the first of my network to meet Chuck too, and I really appreciate the baseline she sets in the horse's emotional and physical state. Plusssss the horses love her lol. Always a nice bonus.

finally, more recent history --- Isabel!! an arabian somehow made of slightly hotter stuff than TBs, even as she remained eminently sensible. y'all can refer to the archives to see how that worked out for us (hint: was amazing)
The next likeliest step is a session (or sessions) with the horsemanship professional who helped me with both Isabel and Charlie (and actually a whole bunch of others along the way). He's technically my trailer guru, except we learned with Charlie that there's more fundamental stuff to be done in the early days too. A shared vocabulary to be learned, let's say.

ok this is actually Big Brown, Mondeuse's sire.... hopefully we'll have fresh pics of the daughter herself soon!
Intermixed with all of this will be actual riding activities --- presumably including the "first sit." And then, ya know, the first.... everything else. Ground poles, cantering, hacking..... That all seemed to happen quickly with Charlie, tho he was older than Mondeuse when I got him. So we'll see. 

Obvi I'm eager for lessons, but the order and intensity and progression there will depend a lot on how we get through the first few early steps. For example, I kinda have this idea of maybe doing a jump chute clinic with Martin, renowned developer (and whisperer) of baby horses.... But there are a lot of dependencies there. 

So again, we'll see. It's all ahead of us. Hopefully lol. For now, Step 1 = bring the little red lady home! 



13 comments:

  1. I do love a good plan! And second the ulcer treatment. I treated Quaid when he arrived and while I don’t know if he would have had ulcers it just seemed sensible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my thoughts 1,000%. like, i verrrry briefly toyed with the idea of maybe waiting, just to get a chance to learn her personality enough to see if it made a difference... but then was like, but what does that matter? i'm going to treat no matter what, no time like the present!

      Delete
  2. Ulcer treatment is so pricey but much less pricey than ulcer issues, at least. Thunder is on his last couple of weeks of big boy school so he's taking a course of omepracote as well <3 Can't wait to see more pics of Mondeuse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agreed on the price differential. like.... horses cost a lot of money anyway, at the end of the day i want that money to go into a useful and enjoyable creature --- bc otherwise, what exactly is the point? lol... (don't tell charles i said that tho, he's useful and enjoyable in his own way right now!). hopefully things are going well with Thunder too!

      Delete
  3. I am the queen of making a plan, unfortunately halfway through I end up ditching the plan and making a new one on the fly. We were supposed to have started long lining before undersaddle work with Dee and we kinda did it backwards but its all good because she is getting a saddle break anyways so long lining has started! Also third the ulcergard. I started it in good faith but my horse blew it up in my face but always good to start on solid footing with ulcers.
    Also I feel you on the strongly advised against by a financial advisor. My boss (and father) is a CFP so I've heard it all 😂 Though he was the one to talk me out of a yearling in Oregon solely on shipping costs alone, not factoring in the next 2 years of costs of owning a horse I could not start doing ridden work with right away 😅

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lolz yea people always seem to forget that the upfront horse costs are.... insignificant compared to the long term haha... and yea i mean, plans have to be written in pencil, right? i see it sorta like framing a house -- it's the structure of a plan, but you can always move a doorway or whatever if you have to, change things up a bit, bc once the dry wall is up nobody will ever know anyway and you want that finished product to be the best it can be!

      Delete
  4. Amen to starting ulcergard immediately - exactly to what Firn said above. You know what they say about the best laid plans, however I feel like you're also looking forward to the occasional curveball :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes --- exactly with the 'curveballs.' i want to plan in the sort of rough estimate sort of way that allows me to put together a structure for the horse, but that can be adapted and adjusted based on how she accomplishes each step. at least, that's the idea -- we all know how horses can be with all our fine ideas LOL

      Delete
  5. Wow, Big Brown is gorgeous! Your horse history is full of reds and it’s so fun to see all the old pictures. I’m excited to see your girl! Any good name suggestions yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks --- we are going with Doozy! for now, at least. subject to change pending normal natural nickname evolution and/or her personality ;)

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a great plan! I'm so excited to hear more about her and follow along once she gets there, especially as my horsey excitement gets more and more reduced in my personal life. I need to live vicariously through you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha well that's perfect timing, then, as i'm hoping this new adventure will spawn a bit of a renaissance in posting around these parts ;) i can't promise the posts will be about exciting horse shows at gorgeous facilities like so many of your posts, but hopefully it'll at least be interesting!

      Delete
  7. I also love a good plan! Of course, horses hate plans and ruin them all the time. But that's why we have plan B, C, and D. And sometimes others. So excited for this new adventure for you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.