Thursday, June 30, 2022

throwback thursday

Sometimes with blogging, I feel like .... I've already written all the things. 

The hack I took last night? I've written about it before, multiple times. That flat ride? Yea, still working on flexion and softness, LOL, forever. The jump school we did where I was too complacent to dismount and reset fences to what they ought to have been? Yep, was yet another ride of bopping around too-small fences. 

In other words..... Nothing new and exciting to share, ya know? 

this photo is from November 2016 --- not a lot has changed!
If that sounds boring.... it shouldn't. I'm actually kinda excited right now. I feel good. I feel like we might actually be striking the cadence I've sought for.... years. We'll see, tho. More to come. 

In the meantime, it's no real secret that I'm a fool for nostalgia. The primary reason this blog still exists is bc I love stalking the archives. 

SO. For today's edition, please enjoy Charlie's second ever jumping lesson LOL (with bonus footage of his one jump from the first lesson at the end). 


This horse, guys. He's always been a very cool customer lol..... 



10 comments:

  1. So cool to look back at how far he's come! I wish I had videos of some of Nay Nay's early jump lessons though maybe not? He definitely could NOT figure out solid fences in the beginning and those lessons were horrifying so maybe I'm happy I don't have video? Poles/jumps without fill? No problem. Anything solid (hunter barn, all out jumps are solid)? IT'S EATING ME! Anyway, that was when I decided that he and I were going to walk over everything in hand. He would not follow my trainer, but me? Sure. Before every ride, we walked jumps. That was also how I learned that the water jump was nbd (go figure). Planks, he loved from the start even though lots of horses hate them. Ah Nay Nay. Now I'm going to go hunt for old canter videos to compare to this weeks stressed but still slow canter just to see how much we've progressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's kinda wild looking back at these old videos bc honestly it's so easy to see him for the way he is now, it almost makes me feel like.... wow why did i suck so badly back then lol. but ya know, it really truly was a process haha...

      Delete
  2. It IS fun to look back and mark progress. Sometimes we forget that something our horse does easily now, they struggled with at an earlier point. By the way, I loved all the encouraging voices during the first jumping lessons video clip. Nice to have that kind of support!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agreed completely -- that's my favorite part of having this blog as a record! and yea we've always been really really lucky to have a really encouraging and positive barn culture when it comes to green horses or riders. definitely helps!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. there are so many old videos like this that just give me so many feelings lol

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. i love watching his expression as he goes -- like he's determined to figure it all out lol

      Delete
  5. Awww! Baby Chuck! What a good boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he has always been just the absolute best boy <3

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.