Tuesday, March 8, 2022

show coats: colorful or conservative?

Maryland Saddlery's local Butler location had a barn-burner sale this past weekend, with bins and boxes and mystery bags jam packed with all manner of merch that needed gone. Some of it was used consignment stuff, but actually a LOT of it was overstock from various sources and channels.

i spy with my little eye.... a much more conservative jacket than one normally sees around 'Fraidy Cat Eventing
The sale was a lot of fun -- I spent an inordinate amount of time poking around all the nooks and crannies, chatting with the friends you inevitably run into at massive tack shop sales.... Egging each other on to try things on or look at whatever fun and fancy boots or straps or odds and ends lol, like the "Man From Snowy River" style oilskin long coat my friend found, omg haha.... 

But this coat --- I actually spied somebody else trying one of them on from across the shop floor, and was immediately smitten.

french blue with Izzy! pc Austen Gage
That might surprise those of you who have been around these parts for a while. Since.... Well. Nobody has ever accused me of being a "style icon" (snort), but ya know. I like what I like. And I've always liked colorful jackets. 

berry with Charlie! 
Which, naturally, have garishly adorned our competition recap posts all the way back to 2015 haha. Well, except, that's not exactly entirely true. In recent years I've kinda trended toward not wearing a jacket at shows. Like, we mostly do unrecognized stuff (with few, tho notable, exceptions), so jackets aren't really required anyway. 

lavender-gray with Charlie!! natch with my beloved brown boots <3
Plus.... Honestly, bc I can't really lie to y'all.... Well, you already know. We aren't exactly super impressive, esp in the dressage ring (since for jumping phases at horse trials we are generally wearing a safety vest + pinny vs the show coat). 

Often we're distinctly... not impressive. Which kinda has given me pause about really dressing up only to stand out for maybe not the right reasons, ya know? 

ain't nobody ever gonna argue with that price tag tho
Plus I've recently found myself kinda drawn toward the clean classic conservative (emphasis on "clean" bc y'all know I suck at laundry....) look of a good black jacket with piping. Call me basic if ya want haha. 

esp when it fits like this
And this O'Shaugnessy by Sara Griot show coat ticks all the right boxes. Plus, it has the benefit of being a bit more flattering than some of the jackets I've chosen over the years for their color, occasionally at the expense of fit.... Tell me I'm not alone there LOL --- or maybe you've always preferred a more traditional look? Or maybe you avoid jackets like the plague, no matter what???

Anyway, welcome to the family, new coat! Now I need to find an excuse to wear you!! Do show jumpers wear black coats these days? I'm out of the loop lol....







24 comments:

  1. It's funny, coming originally from riding equitation I tend to still lean more conservative, and I wouldn't consider that jacket conservative at all with the white piping. ;-) I love it, really classy looking!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha I couldn’t go completely without at least a little flair!! But it is toned down for us LOL

      Delete
  2. That coat is BEAUTIFUL!!! I trend towards conservative (its been drilled into me since I occupy H/J land. But this coat strikes the perfect balance of beautiful, classic basics with tasteful modern accents. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve rebelled so much against the mold at this point that we kinda go too far in the other direction of flying our own freak flags …. It works out tho!!

      Delete
  3. Its gorgeous! And fits you so well! I firmly believe one should have ALL the colors lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and YES to ALL the colors!! That’s what we are here for after all!!!

      Delete
  4. Show jumpers totally wear black coats and that one would fit right in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s good to know!! It’s been so long since I’ve been to a proper show haha

      Delete
  5. That is a lovely jacket. I've always had a black jacket but really want to try something coloured now that it's an option. Although, TBH, I want to forego the jackets all together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda love jackets but also kinda hate having to wear them esp when it’s hot. Colorful is so fun tho — blue and gray could be such nice colors for Carmen ;)

      Delete
  6. Classy!! I'm coat shopping this spring and I'm completely undecided on the direction I want to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh!! Good luck and god speed haha. I wasn’t purposefully looking for a coat but when it’s $10 who could resist! Lmk what you find

      Delete
  7. Love it, it looks really nice on you!
    Totally undecided for myself, I really like color, but I'm also not the person who wants to stand out ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea honestly agreed. Like I like having nice pictures that reflect my preferences but also have felt kinda clownish (see the berry outfit) in some of our little outfits haha. Like if we are gonna go all out, might as well do the full costume deal right ? Lol

      Delete
  8. That looks SHARP, and what a good deal at that price. Enjoy your find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can’t believe the price tag haha - esp given that some of the other overstock stuff at this sale was definitely like… bad cuts haha. Pretty pumped to get out and wear it!

      Delete
  9. Mostly basic black, navy, or green for me since I'm a hunter princess mostly. But I LOVE fun colors too! Back in the early 00's plaids were popular and I was all over that! But classic black is always a good choice and mostly never goes out of style. This one looks like it was made for you! And $10?!?! What a deal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg see the plaid phase (specifically the window pane pattern omg) was basically my brief period of exposure to hunter world style via IHSA in college haha… so maybe I only met hunters during their least conservative period and therefore have a skewed perception of what “traditional” even means LOL… for real tho, at a certain point, when the coat is $10 and fits, who can really argue!

      Delete
  10. That coat looks like a GREAT fit. This post made me remember something I recently realized/heard/registered -- if you don't like the way a coat fits, take it to a tailor. For the same amount of money, you could probably get a less-expensive coat (that you like in terms of color/fabric/etc.) fitted, in comparison to buying a more expensive coat and compromising on color/fabric/details. For someone like me with a really hard to fit body type... I should do that.

    Anyway, that guy looks bomb and I am excited to see your show photos in it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg YES i have heard that and sorta logically been like, "yes, sounds wise!!" then turned right around and bought a beautifully colored but too-small or poorly-fitted jacket LOL....... i'm trying these days to focus on flattering first, and everything else second. but eh, JenJ wrote about what you describe once too and if i remember, she said that basically any tailor can work with a jacket that fits you in the shoulders. make sure that part is good, and the rest can be adjusted!

      Delete
    2. Tailors are not utilized enough IMO!

      Delete
  11. I like that jacket a lot. Since i look like a barge in most jackets, i agree that it is classy and very flattering. Go for it :) esp for the price!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have bought a $10 jacket that fits me - and I have no desire to ever set foot in a show ring again! Could you wear it out of horse situations - like work/dinner/appointments? If the buttons are horsey that's a simple fix!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That jacket looks good on you, but so do all your other ones. You've chosen some great outfits in the past!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.