Sunday, February 20, 2022

Mid-Winter Jumperlandia

We had a lot of fun in 2021 with the monthly summer CT series at Thornridge Manor. Not just bc shows are fun, omg! But also.... getting my own butt in gear to put together a show-worthy-ish round once a month was just.... so SO beneficial for allaying my imposter syndrome. 

majestically overlooking the xc course during pre-ride walkies. 100% will be back to conquer that later!
We laid low for a few weeks throughout early winter, but basically ever since the solstice, we've kinda quietly started getting back into a groove again. And luckily, little jumper shows are starting to reappear on the calendar, yay omg! 

but first, we conquer the warm up! twas a tad frozen, but organizers were on their AAA+ game with dragging and everything was nicely groomed in time for our rounds!
There's a venue I've had my eye on for YEARS, but never actually made it out, but this weekend was finally TIME! The Stables at Fox Crossing are in Cochranville, PA, basically right around the corner from Windurra. And omg, they have the cutest looking xc schooling field too -- looks like sort of a Tranquillity feel, but with more jumps concentrated in one place. We will 100% be back for that omg!

finally!!! go time!!! also, peep that cafe-style heater!! there were THREE in this area alone
This weekend tho, it was just the jumpers. On a somewhat frigid morning, but we didn't care. Charlie and Royal traveled well, and we arrived in good time to get a lay of the land. They sent out ride times in advance that Megan and I both sorta intuitively understood were "optimistic" times for a jumper show.... But we didn't care. We'd rather be early.

behold --- the ring! jam-packed with twisty turny beautiful jumps
And let's be real, the show *could* have run on time, but..... instead they chose to be friendly and inviting. Rider having trouble getting around? Get the coach in there to help them finish. Didn't go clear? Do the jump off anyway. Everybody got a good time and jumped all the jumps, with as much encouragement as was needed. Yep, I will 100% always be fine waiting around in that sort of environment! 

engage go-go-charlie!
Charlie and I entered two 2'9 classes. The over-thinking part of my brain always wants me to "do more" or whatever. But my emotional side is still kinda fragile and I really want to build on the stability and resilience we (I) started to feel through last summer. So, we carry on. 

omg they gave the 2'9 division a 24' in and out, i almost croaked lol but charlie was fine
Especially with winter and stuff, it's hard to get in preparation and reps. But Charlie is so good. Y'all saw him doing grids a couple weeks ago. And I jumped him again, but omg this time in our outdoor jump ring bc we had a week of good weather!! And he's just good. He is trained. He is a packer, bless his darling bay soul <3

pictured: my horse is a very good horse
So for our actual courses... I tried to just trust it, ya know? Tho -- something that makes me quite excited for the potential future, I *did* find myself channeling recent lessons with KGK (that new trainer we've met exactly twice). Mostly --- just feeling the length of Charlie between my hand and leg. Not necessarily "shortening" him (at least, not without supervision), but just trying to "feel" his ends as we approached a jump. 

omg you have to watch the video for this sequence. spoilers, we go from this long spot to a left turn to the yellow/blue standard bottom right corner of the frame
And guys, Charlie LIKES that style of being ridden. I've always known he wants rein contact, and always known he wants leg on. Really, he IS a full contact sort of horse. But for some reason, envisioning his body the way KGK describes sticks in my mind, and helps me remember to give Charlie what he wants. 

omg he TURNS 'n BURNS omg
We were still a little inconsistent around our first course tho. Mostly for *me* reasons. I was nervous, ya know? It's a narrow indoor with all sorts of twisting turning lines -- and more than a few places where you land with a jump directly in front of you that you are NOT intended to jump. I was worried about Charlie getting backed off, so did his job for him and put him behind my leg myself lol, whoops.

sir, my heart, you have it <3
He was obviously still a very good boy, and jumped from some *very* close distances.... But I was also very happy to have a second round to go out and try to be a bit more forward. Still feel his front and hind end. still do all the stuff I've been working on.... But, with allowance, ya know? 

the goodest boy <3
And our second round (source of all these pictures, plus the video below) was MUCH better. Like, not gonna lie, I'm still happy with the first round too bc this is legit the shit for me, ya know?? Going out and riding my amazing horse even through all my mistakes lol. But... Riding two rounds in a row is really useful for me, esp as an eventer who is so used to "one shot."

literally the only "long" run on course, and he just loped on down like a perfect hunter
For my second round, I just reminded myself to let him go and trust him and be a bit more forward. A little looser even as I focused on keeping a feel of his "ends." And? It worked out!! 

voila! et fin
The courses were honestly a bit bananas and not really something we're likely to see in a stadium round at a horse trials, or even in a proper jumper show (since, spoiler alert guys --- we might be trending in that direction). So it doesn't bug me that we weren't really perfect for all of it. Actually, it's pretty good that we weren't. It's good for my brain to experience imperfection and survival at the same time lol.

look at how happy our horses are!!! lol
Tho, I'm also not gonna argue with winning both our classes lol. In, ahem, a class of two. And, of course, it should be noted, we lost the division bc I didn't ride the third round. Again tho, I wasn't there to win. I was there to ride two rounds. And we did that. And our second round was better (by far) from our first round. And Charlie knew it. Voila, the end. 


Idk about y'all, but that basically ties it up for me goals-wise in February lol. This show was definitely very different from some of the indoors jumpers shows I've done before... But.... I think I liked it? It was harder, much more complicated.... But, the people were fantastic and they were on top of their footing conditions even in bad weather. 

for real tho, so fun
On one hand, for horses that are struggling, that sorta cramped crazy jumper environment might back them off too much... But, honestly? I think it was just the ticket for Charlie. He really adjusted and adapted and handled the turns and everything great. 

Kinda... Makes me wanna do more of... this with Charlie. Tho, lol, their xc course still called to me. So idk, we aren't done with that either. Maybe some sort of hybrid going forward? Idk. We'll see. It's February, after all. Any body else out there trying to make sense of early season plannings and ideations? 






14 comments:

  1. Wow, that’s a lot of jumps. I’d have gotten lost, lol. You guy looked so relaxed. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not gonna lie, learning those courses was a bit of a struggle LOL!

      Delete
  2. If it gives you any peace of mind, I'm pretty sure Mike Jung competes his eventers in both show jumping and Dressage at lower levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. most eventers do! tho i think jung has actually done grand prix show jumping and dressage, not just lower levels

      Delete
  3. Nothing wrong with stepping back from one thing to do something else you find super fun. Get back to full eventing when you miss it, it will always be there waiting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dude as far as i'm concerned, we just want to do ALL the fun things. but.... possibly in 90-120 second bite-sized bits at a time, vs 5min lol....

      Delete
  4. I mean... if you switch to jumpers, Al and Charlie might get to meet sometime! I think they'd be bff. But you could absolutely do both! You two look so good, and it sounds like you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooooh do you have any plans to travel for away shows?? you'll have to let me know if you're in this neck of the woods one way or another haha

      Delete
    2. Probably just Saratoga this year, but maybe I'll find my way south next year!

      Delete
  5. Jumpers is super fun!! Kudos to you for remembering your courses, the jumps came up quick in that ring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. on one hand i feel like we've been doing a variation of jumpers ever since i started eventing, since basically every single stadium round at a horse trial runs like an optimum time jumper class. but eh, might be fun to do more dedicated outings in that area!

      Delete
  6. Nicely ridden! There were a couple of moments when you could have lost him, but you got him back and reorganized right away. Those twisty turns will either work for you or against you - you totally made them work for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. honestly he never felt unspooled the whole way around. that turn to the blue/yellow jump was always going to be really challenging -- but mostly just bc turning left fast on landing is hard for us (me). the great thing about charlie tho is that once he *sees* the jump, he *goes* to the jump. so basically, i just need to be able to hold my position well enough to make sure i can always show him where to go!

      Delete
  7. That feeling you talk about - knowing where his limbs are in space and time (lol quantum horse mechanics?) is what my whole life we've called 'The Box' - how big is the box the horse is in, are you a square? are you a rectangle? are you a rhombus (probably bad... lol) but yay omg Charles looks so cute going around!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.