Monday, September 9, 2019

3 years of Charlie

Today isn't the exact anniversary of when I brought Charlie home, but rather the date when I first met the horse at After the Races in Pennsylvania. And for a variety of personal reasons, I like to use this date as our yearly milestone. Thus, today marks 3 Years.

Charlie had run his final race almost exactly one month prior and had only arrived at the facility earlier in the week. So nothing had really happened with him yet other than a preliminary vet eval - nobody had ridden him or started any training.

All I really got to see of him was a little round pen work, then general observations of his behavior with volunteers at the facility.


It was enough, tho.

You all already know the story, haha. I couldn't put my finger on it at that exact moment, but something about Charlie was special. And I knew he was the one, my first horse.

my boy <3
pc Austen Gage
The rest, as they say, is history haha. And I'm not going to go through any sort of exhaustive litany of where we've been or what we've done over the last 3 years. It's all there in the archives, I promise ;)

The most amazing thing about horses is how easily they can adapt to fit within our lives, even as our own priorities, goals, resources, mindsets, needs, interests, etc., shift and evolve.

We all go through peaks and valleys, highs and lows. Times when we're raring to go, operating at full throttle - 110%. And, ya know, also times when... maybe we're more tired, worn out, over extended and threadbare. Whatever the case, ya know? Regardless, the horses are always there. Quietly ready and willing to fit whatever need we have at that exact moment.

Charlie, for me, is a horse I look forward to seeing every single day. The time I spend with him is often a highlight of my days. And the memories I have with him from these past few years are precious and special beyond words.

Every day, I'm grateful for this amazing horse. Not just his willingness and ability as an event horse, either. I'm grateful for him as a partner in crime, a friend, a fellow adventurer, a big strong shoulder to lean on when I need it. Grateful for his inquisitive fuzzy nose and silly whinny.

 pc Austen Gage
And more than anything else, I'm grateful for how excited this horse makes me feel for the next 3 years too, and then the 3 after that, and after that, again and again. In a way, I feel like the hope this horse inspires in me for the future is its own special kind of gift - something to be cherished.

Of course, I'm also so grateful for this space here too -- having all our memories and all the ups and downs of this journey documented and preserved for posterity. To that end, there's been a little bit of a gap while summer is winding down around here. That'll all get filled in eventually tho, haha (doesn't it always?). 


In the meantime, I'm taking this day to celebrate and appreciate my horse and everything he's given me. Thank god for these amazing animals, right?

Happy Monday, everyone. Looking forward to catching up with all of you and your horses and stories and journeys too ;)

34 comments:

  1. Happiest of days today and onward! And absolutely, what a gift it is to have a horse that is exactly what we needed in our lives (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary! We need to plan a trail ride and lunch/dinner again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely!!! some friends have been talking about a fair hill trip

      Delete
  3. Aww happy 3 years to you and CHarles and heres to many many more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Monday and happy 3 years! It's amazing to look back and see how far you've come :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks - and i know, right? it's crazy, he's in some ways an entirely different horse haha

      Delete
  5. Lovely tribute and nice reminder of why we do what we do, despite the ups and downs! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sometimes we gotta remember that the ups and downs are a big part of why we're here in the first place <3

      Delete
  6. I can't believe that it has been 3 years already! Seems like you are both rocking and rolling along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. honestly sometimes i can't really believe it either, tho some days it's felt like i've ALWAYS had charlie too haha

      Delete
  7. Happy first 3 years with Charlie! You guys are so fun to follow :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy anniversary! I LOVE the water picture, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks - i love that pic too, it's so otherworldly lol

      Delete
  9. Aw, happy anniversary <3 I love this

    ReplyDelete
  10. He's entirely different, and yet entirely the same. Those eyes are still the sweetest and quietest. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  11. Damn, that went by fast! Congrats on three years with your first horse :D You definitely saw the right stuff in him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. honestly the more i think about it, the luckier i feel bc he was definitely gonna get snatched up quick!! thanks universe for letting him retire at the exact right moment for me haha

      Delete
  12. Aw Charlie! He is just the best. <3 And I love how you love him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he really is the best, i fully admit to being extremely obsessed haha ;)

      Delete
  13. Happy Anniversary! I can't believe it's already been 3 years! SO glad you two have each other!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww!! Happy anniversary to you and Sir Charles!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy anniversary!! And cheers to many, many more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I seriously can NOT believe it's already been 3 years!! I still remember being so excited when you first got him, and instantly loving his cute bay big white star face. <3 Happy 3 years and here's to many more good ones!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.