Monday, July 8, 2019

epic 3* xc @ MDHT

Phew, the Monday after a long weekend is always a bit of a doozy, right? This past week / weekend was so jam packed I almost can't remember everything I did.

Boyd Martin won the 3* with Pan Am Games-bound Tsetserleg
Sure, there was plenty of riding. Some July 4th fireworks, naturally. A few World Cup games... A graduation party, some nights out with friends. Spectating at a low key local jumper show, and then turning right around to spectate again for Loch Moy Farm's epic CCI3*-S division (plus all the rest of their FEI and HT divisions).

Ya know. Some stuff haha. Oooh and some shopping too, tho that'll have to wait til later.

and. ya know. he also won the Open Prelim with Bonito. like ya do.
Part of me was sad to sacrifice my regular weekly jump lesson to go check out the show. But.... Yea it was totally worth it haha. It feels like a worthwhile trade off anyway, esp since Chuck and I have been doing our best to follow doctor's orders, and have been incorporating more jumping into our weekly regimen. More on that later, too, tho.


My main priority for spectating at Loch Moy was to get enough footage for another badass FEI compilation video. Mission accomplished haha, see the above.

Honestly there are so many incredible moments from the video that it would have been nearly impossible to try to pick and choose just a few screen grabs to share with y'all. Possibly I  might go back and do that later, but for now you just get the video. Please consider sharing it too, since admittedly my own YouTube audience is basically like.... my mom, my cousin, and maybe a couple of their neighbors LOL.

Included in the video are some insane combinations like a sunken road, MDHT's notoriously giant leaf pit, and a crazy roller coaster line through the water. All ridden by top class riders and horses, since this event served as a formal run for the US's selected Pan Am team.

picture unrelated: probably neither a Pan Am mount or prelim horse haha, but still my best most handsomest boy <3
pc Austen Gage
Anyway tho, I hit up the show with Austen and her huskies (after having already watched Austen's little jumper show the night before, a story I'm sure she'll share eventually lol). For the 3* class I made it my business to hustle around the entire course, moving quickly from jump to jump, in order to snag all the footage.

After that, tho, it was time to park our swampy selves in some shade. Just relaxing with the cooler full of various beverages haha (beer-mosas, anyone?) and enjoying watching all the divisions and pretty horses go. Which felt like a fitting end to a very long holiday weekend, ya know?

any busy weekend is worth it when i get to see this face! pc Austen Gage
More to come later on the state of things with Charles (short story: shit's good, y'all), and my latest and greatest plans etc. Until then, tho, I'm getting caught up on my sleep schedule, and, uh, ahem, possibly in cleaning up the house and buying groceries too. Details details.

Did anyone else in the States take advantage of the long weekend? Was it equally jam-packed with random escapades, or perhaps you took advantage of having some extra opportunities for down time?


22 comments:

  1. Awesome compilation! Can't imagine the time that must have taken to put together, but it's fun for the rest of us to enjoy - so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha thanks! I’m not sure it takes much more time than a typical blog post, esp since I’m pretty used to editing the video at this point. The biggest time investment is actually being at the show hauling ass all over the place - but to be honest that’s one of my favorite things to do anyway <3

      Delete
    2. What do you use to edit? Learning to edit videos is one of my goals this year.

      Delete
    3. For this and most of my videos I used Microsoft movie maker. It’s pretty basic and easy to learn, tho there are some limits to its functionality. They stopped supporting it a few years back tho so it’s increasingly difficult to find a safe download, tho you still can if you search enough.

      A couple weeks ago I googled “best free desktop video editors” and downloaded one from that list (lightworks) that I’m getting the hang of. My last few videos (last xc school and the pony fun video) were made with that software just trying to get the hang of it. It’s got more functionality when it comes to multiple sources, color and audio correction, and zoom (I can get my nose out of the helmet cam frame!) but I’m still figuring it out. So far I don’t find the captions as easy to do, so that’s why I did the above in movie maker.

      There are also a TON of great cell phone apps too if most of your video is already on your phone.

      Delete
  2. This weekend was HOT and humid. The real feel temps was 103F! Unfortunately it isn't safe to ride in those temps so we took it pretty easy. But I had fun in other ways...a drive in movie night, shopping at a local flea market and plenty of time with my kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ugh yea this heat wave has been intense. i've continued to ride (carefully) with conditioning in mind, but it's still been a bit limiting. sounds like you guys have been up to a lot of fun stuff tho - i LOVE flea markets haha

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a super fun weekend! I had to work Friday, so it was like a split weekend. Plenty of fun was had, some lobster, and lots of pony riding!
    Excited to hear more about your weekend, but especially the shopping part...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh lobster and pony riding!!! sounds good to me haha ;)

      and yep, more to come on the shopping. would come sooner if i didn't leave the freakin bag at the horse show ugh /facepalm

      Delete
  4. Love me some ‘Fraidy Cat video. Such amazing rides!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, we aim to please <3 plus who wouldn't love getting to watch all those incredible horses go?!?

      Delete
  5. What a fun, BUSY weekend! Loved the video, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! super fun, need to catch my breath tho lol

      Delete
  6. Cool video! Sounds like you had a fun long weekend. Too bad every weekend in the summer wasn't a long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol for real tho, some days i wish harder for the non-9-5 lifestyle more than others HA

      Delete
  7. i miss being near those events. Glad you had fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. omgosh no way, we're definitely keeping him haha! :P

      Delete
  9. Husky cameo!! Lol! This was so fun, despite turning into an actual lobster human.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol that reminds me - I have your sunscreen haha

      Delete
  10. Awesome video! I LOVE to watch XC at the upper levels though I haven't the guts (or desire) to ride it myself. Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This last week has been a fucking whirl wind but I'm glad the brontosaurus is doing fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.