Sunday, March 15, 2015

jig master 9000

Our arena at home is mostly thawed!!! Yay!!! There's still a bit of snow, and it's quite soupy... and the holes that appeared at the onset of winter didn't magically disappear under all the snow... but whatever. I was determined to take advantage of the opportunity to ride at home in an arena like civilized folk. 

'what is this place? seems vaguely familiar...' - isabel

Our last ride in this arena was probably in December.... it had been awhile haha. Plus, I hadn't realized it - but only riding in lessons or when we travel has had the unexpected side effect of only ever riding with other horses. So this was our first solo ride in ages too.

one corner is still snow covered

Isabel didn't care tho, and didn't find any reason to spook or get agitated in the ring. EXCEPT - the puddles. 

Y'all might recall that Isabel dislikes water... So my initial plan had been to revisit some of the work from our clinic, tho perhaps in a lower-key way. Like just focusing on me, while trying to maintain that nice active and working trot in Isabel. Except, with all those dastardly puddles, Isabel was a bit distracted... 

this puddle was particularly offensive

No big deal, I thought. She was kinda trying, and that was kinda enough for me. I figured we'd just head out onto the trails that turned into a loop around the biggest pastures instead. It all started well enough, but right around when we pulled out of the woods and onto the fence line, Isabel started up her jig. 


The jig annoys the ever loving shit out of me - not so much bc I feel unsafe or like we might lose control... but I just want a *walk* ya know? Plus, Isabel's walk is at least 3x faster than her jig, so it's totally counter productive if her reasoning is to get home faster. 

jig initializing ------- 93% complete

So I spent a loonnng time trying to manipulate Isabel into something resembling a 4-beat gait... this included trying for lateral work, halts, rein backs, turning back and riding the same length of fence over and over. We'd even just halt and stand around for a moment with Isabel totally arched under herself and chomping violently on her bit. She was really pretty upset. Still completely obedient in EVERYTHING - except mare would.not.walk... 


We made our way very slowly back to the barn (seriously, her jig is sooooooo slow....) where I directed her back to the arena for a little more trotting. Part of me had considered working her in a trot along the fence line just to get her stretched back out again and less coiled up... but it was super muddy and slippery and just seemed like an unnecessary risk. 

Once back in the arena tho she was totally fine and put herself into a nice little trot. We hopped over a tiny X once in each direction (very politely) just to give me something to praise her for, and called it a day. Ugh mares... 

I actually suspect that Ms Princess was feeling a little pinched by my fancy pants new girth - which REALLY upsets me bc I am in love with it. I'll need to do a little investigating on this (I'm hoping that it was just a by-product of the massive hump in her back haha).... but if that's the case... well, I'll probably have a 46" Pessoa anatomic girth for sale soon. Boo. (same girth as this one. if anyone is definitely interested lmk as that might make my decision making easier...)

14 comments:

  1. Hooray for outdoor arena ride! lol! Jigging queen! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol she really does insist in being queen of everything.... Whether I like it or not lol

      Delete
  2. Jigging is my least favourite after rearing!! ESPECIALLY when they will halt happy enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. right?!? i couldn't believe that she'd be so obedient (tho obviously there was still head flinging and some expressions of sass, but over all she did what i asked) *except* for the jigging thing... silly horse...

      Delete
  3. Jigging on trails is a huge pet peeve of mine! totally takes the relaxation out of trail riding- silly mare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea it really ruined the whole 'meander around the pasture on a loose rein' vibe lol... oh well...

      Delete
  4. Archie has jigged on trail rides with other horses, never by ourselves. Until he started doing it on our handwalks. For whatever reason, I felt like I had so much more control on the ground and I nipped that shit in the butt. But it's really the worst. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. interesting! we can usually avoid jigging when out with other horses... but not always. i actually thought about hopping off and trying to work her through it on the ground, but then doubted she'd stand for me to get back on again... might be worth a shot tho!

      Delete
  5. good ol jiggy jog...I'm sadly very familiar with this haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep... i guess it's the price to pay for a fairly wired and athletic horse? still not my fave tho lol

      Delete
  6. Ha ha! Suz and Isabel could be jigging cousins. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha right?? these red mares sure love to keep us on our toes... and when that fails they're happy to get right up on their own toes and dance around

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.