Saturday, March 14, 2015

review: Mountain Horse Forest Highlander Boots

It may seem like an odd time of year to buy winter boots - considering the snow is hopefully finished for the season (knocking furiously on wood!!)... Except as we all know - the whole world turns into mud when winter gives way to spring. Mud mud errywhere. 

 
Plus I've been on the hunt for the right winter boots since last fall (my cats de-waterproofed my existing boots by chewing little holes in them... damn cats), but couldn't decide on anything. Then these Mountain Horse Forest Highlander Boots came up on Tack of the Day at a good price - and combined with B's glowing recommendation (she has a pair) I was sold. 

 
I ordered the wide calf since I'm between regular and wide (which is super frustrating, btw. My Tredstep Da Vinci tall boots are wides and are maybe too wide... but then my schooling boots are regular and given their questionably cheap zipper I'm not sure they'll ever fit properly...)

 
So there's PLENTY of room in the calf with these boots. Like, I can easily pull them on and off without using the pull tabs. But they're super comfy and fit very nicely in the foot - and I'm 110% positive that I could fit alllll the layers in them. 

 
They're also super warm - and have a cute quilted tartan lining that so far has been perfect for the damp spring weather when maybe I want lighter, thinner layers on top, but still want my feet to be cozy. 

As for the waterproof factor - so far so good! They've been christened by the muddy paddocks and random rivulets of snow melt everywhere in the short time that I've had them with no leakage. 

 
They're designed to work for riding too - with no seams or hardware or anything on the inside of the calf that might scratch the saddle. So I tried them out for a lesson. My verdict? Probably not great for a serious schooling ride, since the boots wanted to actually slide off my foot - tho perhaps a closer fitting calf would fix that. But I WILL use them for the occasional trail ride.

 
These boots required zero break-in time, and haven't given me any blisters or rubs, or left me dying to pull them off. 

So I'm pretty happy with them - and plan to get a TON of use out of them at least through the spring, and maybe even through the summer for things like course walks. 

14 comments:

  1. Great looking and comfortable is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those boots, maybe I'll save up for a pair myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i definitely recommend them! my friend paid full price and loves them - but they've also been on sale at various times too (i think Dover had a good sale on them a little while back, and then i got them pretty discounted through TotD) - so maybe just keep an eye on the price fluctuations??

      Delete
  3. Love those boots! Do you wish you got the regulars for tighter calf fit? How does the foot fit? Found a pair on eBay in my size and I'm debating on getting them...I need a pair of boots to hose ponies in! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm actually find with the wider calf bc they are super comfortable and easy to get on and off - and i don't think there will be any problems with layering in cold temps. i also don't think they're quite loose enough to get suctioned off my feet in the mud - but i'm being careful anyway haha.

      the foot fits perfectly for me - ever-so-slightly roomy. my feet are a pretty standard 7.

      Delete
  4. nice! they look great in addition to being functional!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look & sound fab!
    Remind my of my Ariat Windemere boots which if I'm lucky I'll get another winter out of but i have rubbed the heels inside the boot so sometimes they rub me back if i do too much walking in them #sadtimes
    But i am super happy with them and will deff check out these Mountain Horse ones when I come back on the market for winter boots as i adore mine and will be super sad when I can't use them anymore. I live in mine for yard work, turnout & even riding in the winter as they are so cozy and made for purpose. Although mine catch when I ride in the dressage saddle longer flaps + my knee gripping and heel creeping skywards = boot woopsies...but there is an easier solution to that - aka ride better! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bummer that your boots are rubbing your heels! in the US most pharmacies or convenience type stores sell stuff called moleskin that you stick on the inside of a shoe to protect your skin. i'd be pretty surprised if you couldn't find something similar in Lux.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.