Friday, May 1, 2015

shots + new things

The horses all got their shots on Wednesday, so Ms Thing has a couple days off work to make sure she's feelin' fine. 

In the meantime, I picked up a couple new goodies that needed trying out. 

Isabel's long mane continues to baffle me, even tho I've been grooming her for over 2 years... honestly I usually just kinda ignore it haha. It's pretty thin and breaks easily, and I'm loathe to make it any worse by being too rough with it. So I wanted something creamy and condition-y to help improve its appearance without worrying about ripping the hairs out by over-brushing. 

I opted for the Cowboy Magic Detangler bc it didn't appear to be silicone-based (tho I'm wondering if the main ingredients are actually silicone derivatives) and the price was right. 


The verdict? It smells nice, feels fine on my hands, and worked easily into her mane. The directions said to start with a nickel-sized amount and add more as needed. Two nickel-sized drops seemed sufficient for her mane, which was left soft and silky and brushed out well. This will definitely stay in regular rotation. 

I picked up a Slick 'N Easy Grooming Tool after being intrigued by seeing other reviews. I wasn't really clear WHAT, exactly, this tool was made of just from pictures - but it turns out to be a kind of pumice stone type thing. 




Isabel is STILL shedding (ugh where is this hair coming from?) and the stone did indeed pull out the loose hair and make her shiny. Not sure yet if it's the revolutionary tool that I was maybe hoping for... but I'll keep using it anyway. Isabel certainly didn't seem to mind, so that's always a good thing haha. 




Last new thing is this liniment that came as a gift with purchase from the Maryland Saddlery a few weeks back. It has a jelly-like consistency with a nice herbal scent, and made my hands feel cool and tingly for a while after. I rubbed it all along Isabel's back and forelegs after our first jump school since her flu. No protests from her, and no residual soreness that I've noticed, so this will probably also stay in rotation until it's used up. 

There was obviously a lot more to catch my eye while at the local Dover... But I was good and only added a few extras to my planned girth purchase (which I'll write about later after I've used it a bit). 




Tho I always love looking at the tack and saddle pads and other goodies while at the shop.. What about you - what are your favorite horsie items to ogle?

27 comments:

  1. Ahhhh Dover....I've got one about 30 mins away from me and it's a dangerous, dangerous thing!

    How do you braid Izy's mane for shows? Running braid? Maggie has a long mane too (which I think is acceptable b/c half arab) and its a pain to take care of so sometimes I think about pulling it, but then again doing a running braid is so much faster for me than doing button braids! I just can't decide what to do with it this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dangerous indeed!! i don't go too often bc we have some excellent independent shops (that also have amazing consignment sections...) but they had the girth i wanted so there ya go.

      re: braiding isabel's mane... yes i do a running braid but she shakes it around so that it looks like crap in 10 minutes or less. not sure what to do about it - maybe add a gallon of hair gel? Equine Snob (http://equestriansnob.blogspot.com/2015/01/rough-edges.html) tried running yarn through the braid, but i'm not sure if it really worked out or not. i might experiment with scallop braids tho (complete with blog post, natch lol) and will try to remember to ask my dressage trainer next time i see her if she has any ideas....

      honestly if it were up to me i'd probably pull isabel's mane haha but sadly that's not an option

      Delete
    2. Can you not trim her mane at all?! I'd want it trimmed up a little for neatness (it would give it the appearance of being fuller too) and then do regular braids. BUT that is just me.

      Re: oggling. I always oggle bridles. Can't seem to stop myself.

      Delete
    3. i'd like it trimmed up too... but it's really not my call unfortunately.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE horse boots! All kinds, I don't discriminate :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen the Sleek EZ brush on facebook? I HAVE TO HAVE it before next shedding season!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am posting a product review about it later today!!

      Delete
    2. i haven't seen it in person but i'm definitely intrigued!

      Delete
  4. I love those pumice stone things! They work great. In the tack shop I cannot drag myself away from saddle pads. I am addicted. It is a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea i spent a lonnng time oohing and aahing over some pads and half pads... esp this one super thin but cushy leather half pad that was priced around $800 if i remember correctly... kinda nuts!

      Delete
    2. That's insane! My kryptonite is fun-colored square AP pads. Can't ever have enough!

      Delete
    3. insane - yes. but like, i was just holding it and looking at it and thinking 'hm how could i rationalize this??' (never mind that my saddle fits the horse perfectly, no half pad needed....)

      Delete
  5. Saddle pads and boots (horse AND human) are my favorite things to ogle! And bridles. I like bridles, too.

    So, conditioner wise, ever used MTG? I mean, it's a gross consistency, and it smells like bacon bits forever (Use gloves. OMG. Use gloves.), but it does a great job at strengthening and inspiring hair to grow in nicely. I use it on the top of Pig's tail, since he rubs it during shedding season and it grows really slowly and thinly anyway. I notice a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i actually love MTG and use it frequently on the tips of isabel's ears and her rear cannons and heel bulbs - places where she gets skin funk. i've put it in her mane before too and it does work.. but it's not really a good look lol. so i wanted something i could use for the 'pretty' factor for lessons and shows etc

      Delete
  6. Big fan of those grooming blocks- though I just bought a Shed Flower to try since the blocks wear out quickly (especially if your horse is dirty all the dang time) I feel the long mane pain but I sadly don't have any suggestions- I have used a little cowboy magic on tyco's dreadlocks and it worked great for detangling- can't comment on growth or conditioning.
    I'm with you on the tack store ogling- anything leather and saddle pads. All the saddle pads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha pretty much everything in the tack shop catches my attention and begs me to take it home... everything lol.

      Delete
  7. Saddle pads (buy all the pads!) and right now, bridles.... *sigh* Saddle pads are cheaper! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this tack shop is clever bc they have saddle pads everywhere in the store - like, little piles here and there, so that as soon as you drag yourself away from one pile there's another right around the corner lol.

      Delete
  8. I have one of those pumice stones and don't think they're all that. I like my metal shedding blade/scraper thing a lot better. It does a better job at getting rid of hair. Maybe the stone is good for touch ups before an early season show or something.

    Also, I love all the colors of saddle pads. I could stare for hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea i'm not sure this little block beats out my standard blade for the heavy duty stuff. but the blade also tends to make her coat look dull by raking up all the dander, whereas this block makes her shiny. i like the shiny!!

      Delete
  9. I always have to check out the nice tack, and I have a thing for higher end breeches in neat colors too. Love my slick and easy block, I use it all summer for getting all the scurf and dead hair up and out of their coats. The trick is to keep an 'edge' on it - I file mine down on the fence or concrete floor now and then so the side comes to a point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. interesting, i didn't think about using it for 'scurf' (great word btw) but can see how it might be perfect for that

      Delete
  10. I wish there was a Dover in California! Isabel looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! dovers are cool to have around - tho i love pretty much any tack shop :)

      Delete
  11. I could stare at pretty saddle pads and matching polos all day...also saddles! Especially a brown dressage saddle...

    After several years of dealing with Haflinger manes in a variety of lengths and thicknesses, I've tried just about every kind of braid (running, button, scallop...). I highly recommend hair gel - both during and after braiding. The biggest thing is to get your braid as tight as possible, and keep the braid close to the crest (lots of people use a running braid that gets further away as it goes. Doesn't stay.) . Also, try a dutch/inside out braid - much easier to get tight and close to the neck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yessss brown dressage tack is definitely on my drool-worthy list haha.

      thanks also for the recommendation for the running braid with hair gel. i've gotten better at keeping the braid close to the crest, but it still ends up about 2-3 inches away by the end. will keep trying - WITH gel! (and will also google the dutch/inside out method) - thanks!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.