Tuesday, July 9, 2019

hot + itchy summer riding

Word on the street is that there's been a bit of a heat wave lately. It's been hot, yo. And plenty humid too, bc why not, right? July in Maryland is .... a swampy jungle-y experience.

are you tired yet of these pictures Austen took from our ill-fated dressage show?? TOO BAD 
We've more or less kept riding tho. To be honest, there really aren't many conditions that I wouldn't ride in if riding is I want to do. Like sure, it's always important to be mindful of the horse's general condition, including baselines for temperature, pulse, respiration etc.

The level of exertion we ask for as riders should stay within a horse's appropriate TPR ranges, for instance. And in very hot, sticky temperatures, you may be likely to hit some of those margins sooner than you would in nicer weather.

meanwhile, it's been the dog days of summer around the barn. and, uh, cat days too apparently. i kinda love the fact that this pup and the cat are basically the same size LOL
Plus obviously in different seasons it's important to consider what type of ground is available for riding. Here in Maryland, during the summer time we often end up with parched, rock hard ground -- with even the arenas becoming hard and dusty. So ya know, footing is often a consideration when trying to plan out my ride on any given day.

Generally, tho, my philosophy when it comes to schooling in sub-optimal conditions is: if I would show in it, I should school in it too. In other words, if I wouldn't want to forfeit an expensive entry for a show bc it was hot outside, then maybe I should put my money where my mouth is and condition myself and my horse to working in those same situations as needed.

i spy with my little eye: a brontosaurus invading his neighbor pony's hay manger. why yes, there is a wall there lol
Per the vet's orders, I shouldn't entirely avoid conditioning Charlie to the extremes anyway. Meaning - I shouldn't only ever ride him in perfect 70*F temps on only the fluffiest most well groomed surfaces. Or, at least, I shouldn't only ever do that if I ever expect him to be physically able to perform in literally any other condition too.

you're a goober charlie, but we love you anyway
Obviously your mileage may vary here -- I know literally tons and tons and TONS of riders who have narrower (or wider, for that matter) limitations for what they will ride in. Some of my barn mates never step foot outside of the arenas, while others never step foot *in* them haha.

There are horses at my farm who were born there and will probably live out the rest of their days without ever leaving. While others are out and about every weekend, or even traveling with the seasons. Diff'rent strokes and such.

aw womp, methinks this bonnet too sma :(
I honestly don't really think there are many wrong answers so long as the horse and rider are healthy happy and having fun, ya know?

So for my purposes, when I feel like riding? And my horse is physically up for it? Well, ya know, I go riding haha.

this one is a bit better. will be better still once we get that fringe off!
Lately I've been starting all my rides with brief hack-abouts in the fields, woods, or pasture lanes. Generally I'm shooting for roughly 15-20min of this, including at least a circuit or two of trot, before heading to a ring for a more proper school.

The benefits are that my horse is fully warmed up by the time we hit the ring. The warm up could be as meandering and low key as needed considering whatever conditions we had. Mostly just wandering along while still taking advantage of hills and slopes and changeable terrain to help Charlie get loose and swinging.

"yes hello i would like to share my boogers with you" - charlie, probably
Then, by the time we reach the actual arenas and I want to do a jump school or dressage ride? I feel like I can get straight to it. Immediately ask the horse to be forward and in front of my leg.

This distinction I think matters more for me than the horse. I'm admittedly notorious for maybe kinda not demanding enough during that warm up period, and then it becomes hard to convince the horse 10-15min into a ride that suddenly now my expectations have changed.

However, if those two phases of the ride (the lazy warm up then the purposeful work) happen in different places, mentally it's easier for me to shift gears. Does that make sense?

if only they made full-body bonnets tho :(
And that way, once we're in the ring and I want to get down to business, we can be more efficient about it bc I'm more clear in my expectations. In a way, I see this as a kindness in hot nasty weather. I don't want to circle around forever and ever and ever in a mediocre, behind-the-leg shuffle.

No no, once we're in the ring, we Go, Sir, Go! And get the job done. Get in, go immediately to work. Insist from the first step into the ring that "now we are doing the things!"

soft ground and a break in the heat wave meant a little speed work in our latest ride! yellow = trot, pink = canter
We're also lucky at my farm to have so many options for where to ride. I've actually taken it a little bit as a personal challenge to keep as much variety as possible in our hacks. Ideally, that warm up phase should be pleasant and relaxing and a nice way to unwind after work and traffic for me, and a day spent in the stall for Charlie.

we're so lucky to have so many options for riding out!
The variety can still be tricky tho, since most of these fields have horses turned out in them. So, ya know. Gates. Plus the one main route out with the fewest gates has a major section totally washed out and eroded away.

This is a real bummer bc it leads to those woods in the top left above, one of my favorite places for trot sets esp when the ground is suuuper hard. There are other ways to get out there tho, including a couple gates that I'm trying to get better about dealing with. Mostly tho we've been in the fields lately, despite the bugs.

so. many. bug bites. so. itchy.
At least with a couple of the main fields, there are jumps in the fence line that Charlie can do no problem. Some of them normally have hot wire up on them, but for whatever reason lately have been opened up. Not sure if that's on purpose or not haha, but obviously Charlie and I will take any short cut we can get!

And so far I feel like I can actually feel a real difference in how the horse is going, even just two weeks into this new approach to our conditioning.

fwiw this will probably be my last sight before being unceremoniously smooshed by horse ass
I feel like the quality of our work in the ring is better, sooner. We waste less time futzing around, and Charlie seems to understand that if he just gets along with it, we'll be done in the ring sooner. This is kinda a nice change of pace from always feeling like we need to spend 40min+ in the ring no matter what, in order to ensure Charlie and I are getting an appropriate level of exercise.

Likewise, the major increase in hacking out has also had major benefits for Charlie. For the first time in basically.... ever, Charlie feels like he can maintain his pace and balance when trotting and cantering down a hill, vs speeding up. Like, it's obviously still a work in progress bc he's always gonna be a big awkward horse, but it's a noticeable change.

He's also getting a lot better about handling slight variations in the terrain. Little dips here, slight pitches there. I've always credited riding him out with helping teach him better footwork... but even now we're STILL seeing improvements just by getting out more often. His increased feelings of confidence on his feet translate directly into my own confidence in allowing him to be more forward on changing ground. Always a bonus haha!

it's a very itchy bum tho!!
More than anything else, tho, we really are already starting to see a difference in his fitness. Charlie was already a fit horse this summer -- definitely plenty fit enough for novice. But in a way it feels like a more holistic level of condition now. Especially when it comes to things like his willingness to pick up and go again after a break. Or his recovery time once a ride ends.

So even despite the heat, I think we've both been really enjoying this new approach to our rides. It's been a little while since our last lesson (the epic xc school at Windurra with Sally Cousins), but I'm eager to get back out there and see if all our work makes a difference there too. We'll see, hopefully soon!

Is there anything you do differently when it's very hot out? Do you still ride? If so, are there any extra steps you take to help your horse either before or afterward? Have you also found that an increased focus on conditioning work improves your horse's ability to do well in the heat? Or do you kinda figure that maybe the worst of summer is sorta like the worst of winter: the perfect time for a little break??

23 comments:

  1. I have totally also seen and felt that improvement in handling terrain and basic fitness ... in myself. Haha. I need to get out and run more, yo. It's so helpful when doing things like, idk, negotiating the stairs in my apt building or climbing in and out of my car. Varied terrain for the win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude it makes such a difference! I keep walking all these courses and seeing bits of terrain that make me nervous,... except we have it all at home! There is no excuse for me not to be out there practicing it lol

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you guys are doing well with your conditioning! And kinda jelly that you have so many great places to hack out!

    I'm not great in the heat, but getting out in it and doing some stuff certainly helps me get used to it. We seem to always get slammed from cool to mega-hot and humid here so it can be tricky to adapt. My riding horse needs a lot of electrolytes if I'm riding/showing in the heat and he isn't quite fit enough. Learned that lesson the hard way a few years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Conditioning makes all the difference for real! And true story - I totally steal my horse’s elytes on the hottest days. Just sprinkle some right into my own water bottle, shake up and chug before a ride. The flavor is weird but so far I haven’t had any real dizzy spells or light headed moments. My horse meanwhile gets them full time in the summer bc it’s just easier that way.

      Delete
  3. I wish my barn had a bit more hacking room because I would probably start and finish all my rides with a 20 min walk.

    I'm pretty lax like you about what I'll ride in. If I feel like riding... we're going. The other day I walked outside and immediately started pouring sweat so I just did some ground work. But it's pretty much what I want to do. I have yet to feel spicy be tired and most of our rides are an hour so it's not like I'm not pushing on him. Freakin thoroughbreds...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha for real tho. Charlie in his life has worked WAY harder in WAY worse conditions than what I do with him lol. And considering he’s basically in work 5-6 days/wk when he’s sound, his baselines are always good. It’s definitely a nice bonus to tbs! Or Arabs for that matter lol.

      Delete
  4. "I'm admittedly notorious for maybe kinda not demanding enough during that warm up period, and then it becomes hard to convince the horse 10-15min into a ride that suddenly now my expectations have changed."
    Yup, this is me. I've been trying to be more clear about it from the beginning. It is working but nto without some #discussion. I love you plan to hack out, work, cool out I think it's awesome. I want to come to your farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ugh yea in a way i'm glad i'm not the only one with this issue! i'm all about getting straight to work, except charlie really does do better with more time to loosen up before we really get moving. it's hard for me to figure out how to have it both ways, ya know?

      anyway tho, yes you should definitely come to charlie's farm haha, it's a little slice of maryland paradise!

      Delete
    2. I was totally going to repost that quote Teresa shared because I was like "Oh look, it's me." Hahaha.

      Delete
  5. It's so nice to have that available land for your warm ups! I love that approach! The boarding barn where Eros lives has some trails, but I just lack the extra time to go exploring right now. I need a buddy to show me around so we don't get lost the first time too. I have some trails by my house too, but the road is kind of scary so I'd probably have to trailer to them. I am hoping to get the pony out there though! I think she would love it!
    I agree with you about the heat. If it's over a 100 with 90% humidity, I would likely opt out. But 90's? I'll ride. I try to pay attention to how they're doing, and maybe stop for walk breaks more often. But as long as your horse sweats well, and your mindful, I think it's fine to work in the heat. I'm not as gung-ho when it's cold out, but mostly because I really hate being cold. I will ride in the 20's and up, but below that I'll probably opt out. Mostly because I hate it, not because it's necessarily bad for the horses. Same thing though, maybe a longer warm up to get the muscles loose. And probably shorter walk breaks so things don't tighten up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i definitely believe you on the time factor haha, you've been so so so busy!!! that's possibly the one advantage of being a single horse ammy is that.... it's easier to take my time for stuff like that. tho yea i feel ya on not really wanting to ride out by the roads. we're lucky at my farm to have all these fields and i AM grateful for them, but i still miss the trail system at my last barn. there was just a lot more out there, it was easier to string together a longer ride with even bigger hills and more challenges. oh well tho, we do pretty darn well here!

      and yea i totally feel ya on the hot vs cold. i think the hardest thing about riding in the cold is that it usually comes hand in hand with a limit on riding spaces. like, the days are shorter so riding in the evenings means staying in areas that are lighted. then if there's snow or ice on the ground, we're stuck inside to boot. moseying around in endless circles for an hour in the dusty indoor in freezing temps is a very different proposition from an hour long hack through the woods on a hot day, ya know?

      Delete
  6. there is about a 15 min hack from my barn to the local arena, and I quite like it. Much more fun than walking in the ring to warm up, and like you say, easier to draw the line between warm up/cool down and work time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely!! we have a roughly ~7-8min hack from charlie's barn to the main arenas and i've always appreciated having that little bit of time, tho it's not quiiiiiite enough. then again, tho, in the winter it's nice to not be too too far from the rings. all the same, that variety and extra space is so key!

      Delete
  7. If it's extremely hot and humid I will keep things to a walk and make sure to hose Avalon off afterward. It doesn't help that my schedule (I work nights and sleep into the morning) keeps me at the barn during the hottest part of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh man, yea those mid afternoon summer rides are tough. my normal weekly jump lesson is scheduled right smack in the middle of the afternoon on weekends and this time of year it's brutal!

      Delete
  8. I’m so glad your new riding schedule is showing a difference and you are happy with it!

    I’m much better at riding when cold than in the heat probably because I grew up in the cold and I’m used to it and know the dangers versus this extreme heat and humidity down here. I’m fine riding in the 90s as long as it isn’t super humid. The last week had been upper 90s and over 50% humidity so real feel is in the low to mid 100s. Not riding in that! But if it cools down in the evening a bit I’ll still ride. Last night the wind picked up ad Eeyore came in sweaty but cool to the touch so we did a w/t/c ride but when he comes in hot to the touch and sweaty I just hose him and put him out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ugh yea the heat is definitely not my happy place either. i think i'd rather it be slightly too cold (like 40s and 50s) vs too hot, but then again for me the biggest bummer with cold temps is the limitation it can create with available riding places. shorter days mean darker evenings, and wet ground doesn't dry so quickly in cooler temps so even if it isn't icy or snowy the ground can still be super slippery in winter. honestly i wish it could just be 65* and sunny year round lol!

      Delete
  9. Where Charlie lives seems like the ultimate horse paradise! I really like your approach and think it would be so beneficial for all horses to have that variety. I have the mind set that if you compete in it you should ride in it, but I do avoid riding in the hottest part of the day here. Summer is our off season so we are all usually have a quiet life then, but we have to compete in wet and slippery conditions so I suck it up and get on with it at home. I just hate getting wet tacking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. charlie's farm really is idyllic in so many ways. i just wish it was closer to home for me!! lol... honestly tho summer as an off season makes a lot of sense and i think is why more and more eventers migrate south in the us for winters, bc in some ways the winter season is more pleasant than the summer. ya just need good ground to do it....

      Delete
  10. Amen x 1000! I also agree that if you'd show in it, you should school in it. Heat, cold, rain, less-than-ideal footing, all of it. Especially when it comes to conditions like heat & humidity and different terrain and footing, it's so important to get both our horses and ourselves fit and acclimated to those challenges. There's a lot of ladies at my barn who will opt out of riding outside when it's "too" anything... too hot, too cold, too windy, too rainy, footing too deep, footing too dry, too many bugs... Well, we don't have the luxury of not dealing with that in competition, so why not just gird your loins, get out there, and get used to it?! There's a whole wide world out there outside the indoor, that I'm sure the horses would love to experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol we have a lot of the "too" ladies as well. and honestly like.... that's cool too, right? if you don't feel like riding? nbd! i have no issues with folks who only really want to ride in pleasant fair conditions, or only ever want to ride inside, or at slow speeds, or whatever. horses can be enjoyed in all manner of ways.

      but like you say, that's not a choice we get if we want to actually go out and compete, esp if we don't want to lose our precious entry dollars lol.

      Delete
  11. I usually ride the pants off my horses in the summer because it's such a beautiful time to be out. But this year we're in quite the lull because of other priorities - aka barn building lol.

    That said, the biggest change I make amidst harder summer workouts are ample electrolytes for both human and horse. Q had a metabolic distress episode 3-4 years ago after becoming too overheated during hill work. She was okay in the end, but I've made a point of upping electrolytes and the amount of water in mashes in the summer ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I definitely feel like horse athletes should be considered like human athletes and that training in suboptimal conditions is honestly ideal so they learn to cope (as well as our own bodies too)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.