Friday, July 12, 2019

help me choose! body protector edition

Ok, confession time. Idk what it was about MDHT last weekend, but there was definitely some sorcery in the air.

Possibly induced by a day spent in the hot sun (but probably toooootally unrelated to all the day drinking, right?). Or the fact that a giant ass thunderstorm rolled through and we found ourselves cloistered up in the VTO tent, which happened to be running some killer sales....

fairly standard outfit. the shirt changes depending on my mood (and the heat, bleh), and obvi my boots have since been updated to something a little lighter in color (below), but typically we kinda ride the navy train
Regardless of the reason why, I ended up coming home with not one, but two Rodney Powell Beta3 certified body protector vests.

Which like, I already have a vest - my tried 'n true Harry Hall. And you might recall, the Harry Hall is also Beta3 certified. Beta3 being the extremely rigorous standard certification required for vests in the UK, and a higher degree of safety than we require here in the US.

Beta 3 Harry Hall
So it's a good vest. It's as comfortable and breathable as might reasonably be expected from body armor, and it's very safe.


My mom bought me the vest for my birthday the fall after I broke my leg. I was sad and depressed and not riding, and hungry for anything that made me feel like horse shows would again be in my future. And it's been a dutiful loyal soldier ever since. 

in action, also these are the color boots i wear now. oh and we've been doing the white saddle pad lately too, if that makes a difference
Plus, it matches my helmet cover perfectly, right? And Navy is kinda my jam. So it works out. I kinda wish the vest wasn't so bulky, but I don't know if such a thing exists with this level of safety certification haha!

But yea. Anyway, that's not the point. The point is now for some ungodly reason, I am the proud (?) owner of THREE vests. Each quite different from the others. I don't need three vests tho, I honestly don't even really need two... tho maybe it would be nice to have options?? Maybe? Idk.

So here's where I need your help. I probably should not keep at least one, but maybe two of these vests. Meaning the others will likely be offered for sale.

Beta 3 Rodney Powell in lavender
I'm terrible at making these types of decisions, to be honest. Mostly bc I tend to be a bit change resistant and am inclined to think my navy Harry Hall works quite nicely anyway, and that maybe the brand new Rodney Powells will be easier to sell anyway. But.... Sometimes I wonder if a zip closure up the front, like both the RPs, is more flattering than the buckle closure of the HH. 


And the idea of a paler color actually strikes me as a distinct advantage in hotter conditions, when I'll do literally anything to limit my risks of sunstroke. 

Also worth noting as you evaluate these images: in competitions (where we'll get the most photos, so obvi it matters haha) I wear a pinny that covers the majority of the front and back of the vest. See the pics above for examples. 

Beta 3 Rodney Powell - in black. sliiiightly different model than the lavender, too
I like the idea of the black bc perhaps of any color it's likeliest to be the most flattering and slimming fit, and this particular vest is also pretty streamlined. But that also means it's probably going to be the easiest to sell so.... Idk if I want to get that attached to it.

sorry the color isn't super balanced
It is a nice vest tho.... But do I really want to go any deeper into the Navy / Black depths than I've already gone??? (see the black half pad and girth in the pics above to see what I mean) It's hard to say, really.

So yea. I don't really know here. I can rationalize reasons to keep each of these vests, or, um, ALL of them haha. But that's not super practical haha. So I need to make a choice. What would you do? Or, conversely, if there's a vest here that you personally might be interested in, let me know that too (fraidycat.eventing at gmail). They're all more or less Women's Medium.

Any thoughts appreciated here haha!


31 comments:

  1. I say ditch the lavendar and keep the other two... while it would look smashing with your boots I just don't like the look of it, the black is way more streamline, and no one needs 3 vests 😂😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha for real tho, i don't even have *room* for 3 vests, let alone enough opportunities to wear them all!

      Delete
  2. I don't know that the fit benefits of the zip would be realized beneath a pinney, or that the color would really affect the heat that makes its way to your body beneath the layers and layers of protective foam (a fantastic insulator, for better or worse!!!!).

    I like the lavender more personally, but maybe throw both up for sale and see which goes first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. idk, dark vs light colors on extremely hot sunny days do seem to make a difference for me, tho yea the insulating properties of the foam could very well render that moot.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely do not need another vest, I have a black one (a REALLY nice racesafe provent) that I never wear because I'm not even JUMPING right now...

    But I love that lavender one so much oh my god.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I would keep one for schooling and one for showing, less maintenance and cleaning :) but that still means choosing 1 to get rid of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. being totally honest i'm not sure i've ever cleaned a vest, other than brushing off the bits of hay haha!! that's a thought tho

      Delete
  5. Since you already own them all, I’d keep the black one for showing especially if going recognizes is in your cards and relegate your current navy one for schooling. Sell the lavender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea the black is definitely the most commonly used color at shows, tho there's definitely more and more variation each year!

      Delete
  6. The lavender is beautiful, but probably the most bulky looking of the three. So I'd vote to keep the black one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh man, these vests are all so bulky tho. like i guess internal organs are important and whatnot, but at what cost?!?!? lol....

      Delete
  7. Your gifs are making me dizzy :p
    I would keep 2; one in my trailer and one in the tack room so it'll be one less thing I need to pack, but don't have to go up to the trailer if I'm riding with someone else! Personally I would probably sell the lavender, unless it's the most comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea that's kinda how i've been doing with just my one vest - it lives in my trailer full time so i never forget it when we go places. but i also drive past the trailer on my way down to the barn so if i'm wearing it at home it's convenient to grab without needing to take up a lot of space in my cramped locker

      Delete
  8. I have some questions...lol 1) Are the vests less effective and/or need to be replaced over time like helmets? If so, maybe keep the 2 new ones. 2) Why does Charlie not have navy jumping boots (or is that not a thing?) 3)The black looks the most streamlined, but it might be hot?

    I like the lavender a lot and navy and lavender look good together, so you could use both the navy and/or the white saddle pad. Or, you could buy a lavender saddle pad and helmet cover next?

    I realize that I am no help whatsoever! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha but these are the important questions!! and exactly why i'm wrestling so much with this...

      tho for some of your questions -

      1) it is not my impression that they need to be replaced in the same way and frequency as helmets, tho guidelines for this aren't as known; and

      2) i've had a hard time finding xc boots that don't turn or rub, so i've been reluctant to invest in anything else since these brown Kentuckys do the job well. plus i like brown too, lol

      Delete
  9. They all look good to me. I especially like the navy color, but since that is the oldest a change could be nice. At some point I need to purchase a vest, so if you ever wanted to write a post about how to choose a good vest I would be interested. I don't know much about them at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. honestly i got my first vest used off ebay -- one of those standard old school tipperary vests. i wore it for a long time, thought about what i liked and didn't like, tried on all my friends' vests, etc., and eventually asked for the above harry hall as a birthday present bc it was 1) affordable, 2) my color, and 3) met rigorous safety criteria

      there's a lot of stuff on the market for upwards of $200, $300, $500, etc, but it's unclear exactly how much of an increase in safety you're buying for those dollars. esp if you're sorta looking for an entry level vest, it's probably more important to find something in your budget that is comfortable enough that you won't resist or be reluctant to wear it. those old school Tipps are usually a great place to start and used vests in lots of colors are widely available.

      Delete
  10. That's a lot of vests. I'd stick to Navy as it's more of a neutral and can go with more other colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's way too many vests LOL. and i tend to agree with you about the navy/neutral thing... which is why, uh ALL MY STUFF IS NAVY. pants included. it turns out when literally everything is monochromatic, it becomes a bit less neutral haha!

      Delete
  11. I have a Rodney Powell, it's excellent & the foam molds to you really well. I have landed on it on my back on a solid wooden coop & my bruises-when-I-blink self didn't have a mark on me.

    I will tell you that the color won't matter as far as heat goes -- just like helmets, the foam layers are what dictates heat transfer so the color of the outside has no effect. I also sweat insanely & heat stress really easily, so I definitely understand the concern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's good to hear that the vests mold so well and do such a good job in protection! i really do like the feel of these vests, esp the zip part (for those of us who sometimes do our helmet + helmet hair before putting on our over-the-head vests, and have to go back and redo it all again...)

      Delete
  12. I'd stay with navy because it goes with the brown better. But also, if newer is safer longer... 🤷‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw but brown is so versatile these days!!! brown is totally the new black ;)

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. it's such a good color, i have so very much of it!

      Delete
  14. Everything is always matching, so I guess my answer depends on what colour you compete in.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have nothing of substance to add really except I love you SPINNING RIGHT ROUND BABY RIGHT ROUND LIKE A RECORD BABY RIGHT ROUND ROUND ROUND

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lol. I'm with L here... Sorry, us hunter princesses aren't much help in this matter.
    The lavender color is pretty, but will definitely show dirt. Darker will probably look nicer longer. Also, which one is the most comfortable? That's probably the most important question since it sounds they're all rated pretty similarly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.