Tuesday, February 3, 2015

uplifting lesson recap

Saturday was another frigid 20-degree day with a barn full of slept-in stalls needing cleaning. But there was no whining (or even stressing, really) this time around - B and I have the chores drill down to a science now. And that barn has probably never been cleaned faster haha. I guess that's the beauty of routine? 

In any case, we headed off to our lesson feeling relaxed with all the time in the world to prep the horses. 

the lesson was chock-full of gray ponies

I tried to keep the flat work momentum going from our previous ride - and mostly succeeded. It wasn't *quite* as good (and we were sort of limited in our ability to detach from the rail, given the 7 horses sharing arena space), but the good moments were still very much there and trainer P seemed pleased with the work.


Then it was on to jumping. P had a nice little course set up: singles on each diagonal, a one-stride on one long side, and a swedish oxer on the other. Naturally I didn't take any pics of the course, and my esteemed videographer (of the 13-yr-old variety) didn't catch any rides of the full course (she just got individual jumps, and none of the diagonals)... so you'll just have to take my word for it lol.

my right leg doing its misbehavin' thang

Isabel jumped very nicely. She seemed a little impressed by the oxer, initially - tho after getting an awkward distance or two to it, she gave it a lovely lovely effort. Maybe among the nicest jumping efforts I've ever felt from her. P said she left the ground really well for it - and for once I felt like I could actually close my hip angles a bit and sink in to my legs and seat over the fence. 


that's better!

It's fun looking at the video stills too and imagining the various obstacles that could fit into the space beneath Isabel... All along I've been nervous about jumping bigger stuff bc my position is so poor... but maybe it works the other way around? Maybe a bigger fence will get a better effort from Isabel, therefore making it easier for me to sit pretty?

video is a little choppy, but still fun

That's all food for thought, really, but I left the lesson feeling pretty pleased about things - including the upcoming fix-a-test clinic (provided we can get our entries in before they run out of space!) and our general progress. 

The other outcome of the lesson related to the Stubben trial saddle. P actually thought it was fine for me, but did NOT like how it fit Isabel. She saw a lot of movement, even when I just stood up in the saddle. 

My opinion of the saddle had improved by the end of the lesson (our second ride in it)... but not enough that I wanted to buy the saddle in the hopes that investments in fitting/adjusting it would make it work better for the horse. So. On to the next one, I guess!

au revoir, saddle!

30 comments:

  1. I love how happy Isabel is about jumping, such a good girl.

    Patience and your saddle will find you. :) I really need to ask my friend if she wants to sell her Beval, might meet your needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks - she really does love to jump!!! and i'm ever-hopeful about the saddle thing ... it's gotta work out eventually, right? lol

      Delete
  2. The last jumping "photo" of you guys is beautiful! LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks!!! that one felt pretty good :) now i just need to figure out how to make it happen more often!

      Delete
  3. Yay for great lessons! Keeping my fingers crossed for you on the saddle front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks!! it'll work out one way or another (i hope haha!)

      Delete
  4. I have a love-hate relationship with saddle shopping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know exactly what you mean. that moment when you find something promising online and click 'order' = LOVE. that moment when it doesn't fit your horse???? ..... not so much haha

      Delete
  5. FWPs - effing white ponies. They are taking over the world. One hoof at a time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - that is the TRUTH. there was actually a third one too that didn't end up in any of the photos.... so many little white ponies !

      Delete
  6. Glad you had a good lesson! So frustrating about the Stubben!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! yea i'm disappointed about the stubben but have shifted all my hopes and dreams on to the next trial saddle lol

      Delete
  7. I definitely feel like my position stays in place better over bigger jumps. Isabel needs MOAR BIG OXERS!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. interesting!!! isabel is all over those oxers too - i guess i just need to get with the program haha

      Delete
  8. You guys look awesome! Looks like a great lesson to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had a great lesson!! I'm with you, sometimes the bigger jump allows for an easier movement on my part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks - and yea i've heard that before... but kind of doubted that it would apply to me haha

      Delete
  10. Too bad about the Stubben (I rode in one while I leased Rori and they are QUITE nice) but a good saddle is an investment- doing it right the first time is always the better choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks - that's the hope. it was definitely a nice saddle - but just not quite right for either of us... oh well, on to the next one!

      Delete
  11. That still over the oxer is great! Fingers crossed that you find a saddle soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how honest Izzy is -- no matter what she always jumps! What a gem of a mare <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she's pretty incredible - and she loves to jump! :)

      Delete
  13. That sucks about the saddle, but sounds like a really great lesson! I love that second picture. The lighting was so cool. Too bad indoor video is blurry... boo. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was a fun lesson!!! and yea, the indoor is definitely tricky for video and photos.... probably straight up pictures would come out better, but it seems easier to recruit volunteers to just video something for a few seconds rather than try and snap perfectly timed and focused pics... oh well, at least it's something !

      Delete
  14. You guys look amazing! Isabel is such a good girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks - she really is a very special horse!! :)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.