Sunday, February 15, 2015

postponed show + Blog Hop(s)

So the high temp for today is 15*.... Meaning today's dressage fix-a-test clinic is postponed for next week. Hopefully the weather improves by then! 

brr

***

In the meantime, here's my take on a couple recent blog hops: 

First up: "Three Little Words" from Jenn at Stories from the Saddle:


I want to know: what three words would you use to describe your horse? They can be any words, but you're limited to three words and three words only.


Game

jumping in the rain in a soupy muddy arena - mare don't care
Game
jumping in the dark? nbd
 Game
she's a trail riding queen



And also - here's the "Day in the Life" blog hop from Tracy at Fly on Over. I'm just focusing on my current weekday riding schedule, but things are a little easier in the summer (when I go to the barn after work/gym around 6:30 and there are actual places to ride). 


7:15 - alarm goes off and I hit snooze once or twice a few times


8:00 - drag my butt out of bed (and the cats sing hallelujah)... don't know how some of you manage to get up so early!! haha



'yes we r hungry.' - OG

8:30 - start chugging coffee at work (yes my morning routine and commute are both very short)

-
-
10:30 - ugh is it really still this early?? time for moar coffee...
-
-
12:30 - leave work early using vacation time (thanks to my very understanding boss!!!) and run home to change into riding gear

1:15 - stop by my sister's cafe to grab some lunch


2:15 - arrive at the barn, hook up and pack trailer with B's & my tack, hay for the horses, etc


3:00 - B gets to the barn and we bring in the horses to get them ready


3:30 - hit the road for FV with horses in tow




4:00 - arrive at FV, saddle up the horses and ride. we practice flat work for all our upcoming dressage shows and finish up with some jumping 


5:00 - cool horses off and pack everything back up again


5:30 - head home with horses -- in rush hour traffic on a nasty twisty dark road, fun!


6:00 - get horses tucked in to their dinner, unpack trailer and clean up Wick's messy messy mess (the horse is a veritable fountain of... well, you know)...


6:15 - park trailer



crowded parking lot is crowded

6:25 - still parking trailer.... (it's hard in the dark!!! lol)


6:30 - turn horses out and retreat to the heated tack room to condition our new saddles (squee!) and maybe have a glass of wine


7:30 - get home and throw some dinner together and feed the kitties



'we are clearly starving'

8:00 - relax and read and/or catch up on blogs for a couple hours before calling it a night


22 comments:

  1. Fab day & love your three words to describe Iz ☺
    PS: do your cats initials stand for Original Gangster?
    No probably not...have no idea why that popped into my head *hide-face-in-paper-bag*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol it's funny, i'm terrible at naming animals and usually keep whatever they come with provided it's not atrocious. so the older (slightly oblivious) couple who found him as a stray named him after a resort town in Maine (had a longer native american name that they shortened to OG) and i had to keep it haha - bc yea, your thoughts aren't very far off base

      Delete
    2. Lol it's definitely the kind of name that generates questions or curiosity haha

      Delete
  2. I am a huge weather nerd, and National Weather Service is my app of choice too! Fun fact, I am actually a trained storm spotter with them. I was the only person under 50 in the class. Haha! I also have a very understanding boss, it's helpful with the whole horse thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ok so that's actually awesome!! i kinda love the weather too, but don't really presume to understand that finer points lol

      Delete
  3. If you want to move down south with me, I can have a U Haul packed by Tuesday. At least it's in the forties down there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol yessss let's do it! aiken here we come!

      Delete
  4. I love getting to haul to arenas, I'm impressed with your efficiency!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks - we certainly have enough practice by this point!

      Delete
  5. lucky you get to work out leaving early with your job! Definitely a huge help in the winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a HUGE break, and i was honestly pretty surprised when my boss was so supportive of the idea - but it's made all the difference in getting to ride even 3x a week

      Delete
    2. This is one of my major perks of my hopefully-future job too. I talked to my boss about it already, and there's a lot of comp/flexible hours available, so I can ride during the days in the winter. Not as big of a deal for me out in Cali, but I can also use those hours for three-day weekends and showing. Adjusting to an 8-5 is going to be really hard after all these years of flexible work schedules!!

      Delete
    3. i honestly expected my boss to shoot me down when i asked if this was an acceptable use of vacay time- and was SHOCKED when she said, 'this actually seems like the perfect use' - so cool!

      i've luckily been pretty frugal with my vacay time and have quite a bit saved up - to the point that i'm risking hitting the accrual limit. so using it this way has been awesome. hopefully you find that the adjustment isn't huge - or at least that you end up with a boss that's cool with more flexible hours so long as things get done!

      Delete
  6. You keep wine in your tack room? impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your three words answers are perfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! they perfectly encapsulate the horse - sassy, catty, bold etc: all parts of being game :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. It takes me back to my IHSA days when the team would meet for group tack cleaning sessions before shows - and of course the wine just adds to the mix :)

      Delete
  9. I have a short morning routine and commute too. Thank goodness, because I am NOT a morning person at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha it's funny bc i consider myself a morning person in the sense that once i'm up, i'm UP. but.... on the other hand i really really don't WANT to be up lol

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.