Friday, March 25, 2016

planny plan plans

Didn't I just prattle on idly last Monday about over booking my weekends? And at that, just a week after two exhausting back to back clinics? Well. Apparently I'm a glutton for punishment, because our schedule is rolling full steam ahead with the onset of Spring.

looking ahead
For starters, we're heading out today for another clinic - this time with dressage gold medalist Grant Schneidman. He comes to town a couple times a year, and we first rode with him last year (full recap here).

It was an incredibly educational ride - especially as we were just learning the most rudimentary basics of dressage. Grant's biggest piece of advice for us was to get into a regular program. Which we have done with reckless abandon this year haha.

And what a difference it's made! While we're still relative newcomers to dressageland, we're perhaps better prepared to absorb whatever learning Grant can bestow on us. Should be fun!

so ready for the first xc of the season!
Then tomorrow we expect to head out for the usual jump lesson at OF - with reason to believe it'll be on the cross country course. Fingers crossed!!! (and obviously the helmet cam is prepped and ready to go should everything go to plan!).

We will also probably press ahead with a dressage lesson with trainer C on Sunday, tho I'm not sure what to expect there (and have told C as much). It could be a great opportunity to build on concepts we get from Grant today, or stretch the mare out after running xc tomorrow (hopefully!).

Ordinarily I'd consider skipping the lesson altogether, since the mare could be tired. But idk. Next weekend is a schooling dressage show and the week after is our first three phase of the season. Another opportunity to see trainer C isn't likely to present itself between now and then, so I'll take the chance and we'll work with what Isabel can give. No harm no foul if it's a quiet ride.

we're so ready for THIS again too!
Really tho, one thing is becoming increasingly clear: the 2016 season is HERE. It's beginning.

Factored in to this sensation are other fairly major alterations to my lifestyle going into effect in the next couple weeks. I'll write more about that later, but at present it's not totally clear how everything will shake out. Except I'm excited and optimistic.

It makes planning that much harder tho. And I LOVE planning. Or at least, the freedom to plan at will, or fly by the seat of my pants.

like impromptu trail riding
There are so many things I want to do with Isabel this year. Get comfortable at novice. Try a rated dressage show (still no inclination to do recognized eventing tho). Maybe collect some scores towards our bronze.

More than anything, tho - I want to have as much fun getting out and about with my friends and our beloved ponies as we had last year. Plus more, always more.

and obvi we have to get back to the Fair Hill 3* too
I want to go to Rolex and see my heros up close - and meet some of you bloggers in person! I want to go cross country schooling with Alli and Niamh and Austen (find a jumping horse, girl) and whoever else wants to come. I want to go to new places and try new things.

There's always a lot of uncertainty with horses, of course. And now more uncertainty around my upcoming schedule/life change. And perhaps that uncertainty is what's driving me to crush so many activities in all at once right now...

"I'll see ya there!!" - isabel
But. For now we're just going to roll with it. See what happens. And try to make the most of whatever comes our way. Should be a good weekend!

25 comments:

  1. This post has me all excited for spring! Add that to the fact that my fields got rolled yesterday and you should be seeing some blogs from me soon including a pony in tack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh I don't know what it is but it's exciting! I hear you about liking to plan - it drives me totally nuts when there's something pending and then I can't solidly plan around it. You are going to have an incredible season coming up though, thats for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the hope!! There's an awful lot we want to get done this year!!

      Delete
  3. Must do all things!!! Have fun and can't wait to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG alllllll the things lol! With obvi plenty of word vomit to accompany :D

      Delete
  4. So much going on! Looking forward to more dressage thoughts, hope the clinic goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm pretty pumped about this clinic - we will be heading out shortly!!

      Delete
  5. 2016 HERE WE COMEEEEE!! So many wonderful things ahead this season! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are soooooo lucky to be able to fill your schedule like that! We're not exactly a barren wasteland out here, but we definitely don't have near the number of clinics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome kick off! I hope to do as much as my schedule and wallet allows this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a big fan of going and doing when you can. With horses, there are so many factors that have to come together to make it all possible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So excited for ALL THE THINGS! I can't wait to meet up with you guys in any capacity!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should know my spotify paired this post with the perfect song, "The Life" by 5th Harmony and yeah it was an amazing post. Seriously I need to get funds together and visit you all because you guys are so awesome. And my life is seriously boring right now with crippled horse

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy your weekend! After too many years of not having the right coach/horse/job/time/$ or any combination thereof, now I just do all thing things I want to do and worry about the details later :) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. aww Isabel always makes the cutest faces! Good luck on your lifestyle changes (whatever they may be!)...it sounds like you've got a fun year in the works! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Busy girl! Enjoy the clinic- sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are super busy!! Enjoy all the clinics and lessons and hooray for show season beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, you jerk. ;) Share some deets! Whatever happens this year, let it be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't know whether to be excited or filled with trepidation at these life changes you keep mentioning, I hope they are amazingly awesome! Sounds like a great weekend, and your plan for a potentially laid back lesson with C seems like a solid plan.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You and Iz are so exciting!! Can't wait to hear all about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well today I was happy I didn't have to add anymore layers to my horse's outfit because he was coming in early anyway to avoid the predicted hail. So that's mostly planning for success.

    (Also I may be slightly bitter about missing out on all the Area II amazingness. Maybe... :P)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Busy, busy! I wish I was able to go to as many clinics, around here unless you are into cows they just don't exist.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.