I kicked off 2015 Q2 with an ambitious goals post. Which was followed by a sudden cessation of all activity when the barn was quarantined by a flu outbreak for 3 weeks. Womp womp.
|we interrupt your regularly scheduled barn life with a quick case of the flu...|
The beauty of quarterly goals vs. monthly is that we managed to still cross stuff off the list despite April being a total loss.
2015 Q2 goals:
Monthly confo shots. Just dooooooo it!Yerp.
- Dressage lessons!!!! I'm crossing it off even tho the lessons aren't as frequent as I envisioned. These lessons are seriously amazing, and my personal best score of a 26.8 on test BN-B is a direct result.
Another saddle fittingYep, did this. Then did it again... Now looking into corrective padding. Fun! (*sigh*)
- Isabel's 6 month chiro appt. Ehhhh... there was drama. long story short, I'm looking for a new practitioner. Will hopefully have something scheduled in July.
- More no-stirrups work (dropping outside stirrup on a circle counts). long term goal: independent seat! Eh, not so much. Will continue to be a work in progress. We did work on my seat via posting the canter. Different approach but good benefits!
- Improve canter transitions - both up and down. Needs work.
Actually, improve all transitions - ride from seat.I worked hard here, with lots of trot-halt-trot-halt-back-halt-trot type stuff. And YES we improved all transitions (we got an 8 from trot to walk!). Still needs work, but I'm crossing it off the list as a pat on the back.
Earn a score < 40% (measuring faults) on a dressage test.Boom, did it. Twice! No, wait three - FOUR times! Finish with a number at our first horse trial.Yep - then managed to get a ribbon at our first move up to BN, and finish on our dressage score at our most recent outing. So far we've finished each event this season with a number.
- Take a lesson with Sally Cousins? Still really want to do this!
Move up? Go BN at an event (a CT would count, as would a 2'6" division at an h/j show).WE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2015 Q3 Goals:
(wow how are we already halfway through the year?? omg nuts...)
- take monthly confo shots (apparently need to bake this into my goals otherwise it won't happen)
- research MCTA points system and year end awards rules
- audit a clinic or two - perhaps David O'Connor's clinic at Waredaca in August?
- improve lateral work (like, make it an actual thing that we can do)
- strive to make water on cross country nbd. also, practice real ditches
- improve canter transitions. for real.
- haunches, why u drift left while halting at X???
- steady the connection!
- get my toes pointing forwards (not out) over fences more consistently
- mix jumpers and dressage shows into the agenda
- recognized event?
- finish on dressage score at an event
- dressage score <35 (measuring faults)
- lesson with Sally Cousins
- work on lead changes? not sure this is a trainer-approved goal, but I'm interested in investigating
- finish in top 5 at an event (for divisions with 10+ riders, top 3 otherwise)
- if jumpers and/or dressage shows DO happen, push our boundaries a little (ie, higher heights, tougher tests)