Wednesday, October 15, 2014

ww - video from saturday's lesson

Well, nearly wordless... or, uh, relatively less wordy??? lol 

Finally got the video uploaded from last Saturday's lesson. It's nothing groundbreaking, and only one course pattern was caught on video (tho we did it a few times). 


You can see in the video that Isabel is surprisingly comfortable in the mess. To the point that we actually probably should have done the actual strides (3) down the line instead of adding a choppy 4th... but I wasn't interested in pushing it. 

Biggest outcome from this lesson other than the position issues I already noted: we've got a serious left drift problem. This isn't exactly new, but I also haven't done anything to address it. 

For whatever reason, my mind goes kinda blank when I'm jumping and I just can't seem to think ahead quickly enough to keep us straight.... anyone else have this issue? Any ideas on how to fix it?? 

8 comments:

  1. We definitely had a straightness issue, and still struggle sometimes. Something my trainer said, pull your hands closer together while going down the line, and think of it as narrowing their path of movement. It makes me think, straight hands, straight lines, straight horse. Anyway, it worked out for us (except when I forget about it too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks - that's actually a pretty helpful way to think about it. of course, the key is to actually think about it in the moment lol

      Delete
  2. Psh, my mind NEVER keeps up when I'm in stadium at a show. I work my lady balls off at home and it's improved heaps there, but when it actually counts? Nope and nope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha i hear you on that. i can sometimes keep one - just ONE - thing in mind when i'm riding. but everything else is straight out the window (including whatever the previous ONE thing was lol)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. thanks!! i really kinda wish it was the last jump of the lesson (it wasn't... boo), but it actually preceded the carousel horse jump... oops

      Delete
  4. You guys look great navigating around all that wet ground! In one of the few jumping lessons I took the trainer told me it all starts with the eyes…maybe start by looking at the right side of the jump and then follow up with over-exaggerating your movement towards it? Please disregard if this sounds like utter nonsense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! i'm usually pretty good about looking up and over the jumps (after a few painful years of looking down and getting dumped...). but i still think you're on to something. you can hear my trainer in video saying 'look at the center - the CENTER!!' as i stare off into the distance lol. food for thought

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.