Saturday, October 25, 2014

HT ride times + goals

We got our ride times for today's horse trial! Not too shabby: starting in the early afternoon will give me plenty of time to get through my morning barn chores, plus packing and grooming etc. 


The venue is a 30min drive up the highway, which will be a new towing experience for me. But I'm not super worried - must just be very careful changing lanes / merging. 


'can't you see i'm ready? let's hit the road!!' - isabel

I like the generous time cushion for course walks after dressage. I thought there was enough time last go round (a little less than two hours), but then found myself in line for a hot dog when I really should have been already warming up for stadium... 

So that extra 45min will provide a good opportunity to just sit and chill for a bit. And perhaps watch my barn mate get through her BN stadium and xc rounds? 


Goals

I am keeping it really simple. This show is our biggest to date, and the organizers made it very clear on the prize list that this is NOT a starter trial. 


'that's cool - we mean biznesssss' - isabel
(photo credit Shelli Ramos)

It isn't likely to be our final show of the year (may have a fun hunter trial next week!!), but it IS likely to be the last horse trial. So I want to end this year of firsts for us on a positive note. I have two goals - one very basic, and one that's more of a reach:

Basic: Finish with a number, not a letter

As our second HT, and first show at a new venue, it's important that we set a good, positive tone and enjoy ourselves. It's supposed to be fun!

Reach: Dressage score consistent with previous tests (low 40s)

The point here is not about the overall final score (ie, it's nbd if we have a rail or stop, tho obviously I'd prefer not to) - it's more about developing a record. 


Bottom line

I don't expect to be competitive at this event. Our division has more entries than placings (8 ribbons awarded). And let's be real - it's the end of the season and most riders are wrapping up, rather than just getting started like Isabel and me. 

I would LOVE to snag some satin (love love love to!), but will not be disappointed if we have a typical-for-us ride and it isn't enough. 



'c'mon, let's GOOOOOOOOOOO!!' - isabel

10 comments:

  1. Good luck and I hope that you can either snag some satin OR just have a good experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck and have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys will rock it! Can't wait to hear all about :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! i'll def have plenty to say lol

      Delete
  4. Good luck, can't wait to hear about it!! Fingers crossed for satin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks!! will take lots of pics :)

      Delete