Sunday, December 10, 2023

next steps for charlie

Ever since Charlie's gigantic subsolar abscess last January, and subsequent loss of sole, he's had a really hard time with hoof trims. A few things kinda all went wrong all at the same time that created this terrible cycle of intensely acute lameness and compensation. 

the goodest boy, snoozing thru his spa session
It takes a long time for a horse to regrow their sole. And in the meantime, Charlie was compensating so heavily on his other supporting forelimb that eventually both front hooves -- the originally injured hoof and then the compensating hoof -- became increasingly unhealthy. All the angles and whatnot changed, his toe got way out of control, heels contracted.... all the things, basically.

misty mornings at the farm!
All that meant that during his routine hoof trims, the farriers were always trying to strike a balance between returning his feet to healthy angles and shapes --- but conservatively enough to not make him very lame again. And ya know, it's hard to get that balance right every time. And yea, at some point we switched farriers in the process.... But still faced the same conundrum.

lol charlie is so above it all
Throughout it all, tho, everybody involved in Charlie's care team maintained that there is every reason to expect him to eventually return to normal soundness. That his feet should heal. That we just needed to be patient.

And guys --- it finally happened!!! Charlie made it through a trim soundly!! Like, maybe a touch tender. But SOUND. For the first time since.... Well, since the original injury in January. 

barn panther Icee! stop biting people and we'll be friends, buddy!
It's hard to really explain how much that means to me, too. It's been a few months now since I had to confront the reality that stepping down from jumping or retiring entirely could be possible outcomes for my athletic 14yo unicorn. And it might be a few months more until we really know for sure if his feet will hold up to a return to 'normal.'

doing barn panther things, sipping from barn yard puddles lol
So obviously in the meantime, I had to do a little bit of soul searching -- taking stock of my goals and evaluating the current landscape of my horsey life. Throughout Charlie's extended lameness I'd done a lot of diversification of my horse habit, getting my fix through other channels like volunteering, supporting my friends, coaching, more behind-the-scenes competition administration and officiating....

ooooh look who was comfortable enough for a hack the day after getting his feet done!
But ya know. There's a good piece of advice out there about "Keeping the main thing, the main thing." I still want to ride. Charlie is staying with me for life, whether he's a riding horse or not, but I do want a riding horse. So, ya know, Doozy entered the picture and it's been an enormous sense of relief getting back to the "main thing" in my horsey endeavors.

so nice to hack out in the xc fields again <3
And now Charlie is finally showing tangible signs of improving hoof health -- walking away soundly from a trim. And now we're getting into the time of year that's easiest for his hooves --- no more rock hard ground and stomping at flies. It's also an easier time of year in terms of riding intensity, too.

turned into a beautiful afternoon after all the mist burnt off
So basically, pretty excellent conditions for starting to think about Charlie stepping back up again. But I want to be careful and intentional about it, ya know? Right now he feels incredible --- but hocky lol. I've been waiting to do his hocks until his feet were farther along, for a lot of reasons, but now we're here and his appointment is tomorrow. 

just normal barn stuff
Feels like I've legged this horse up so many times in our years together... But this has been without a doubt his most significant period of downtime. 

Luckily he's been consistently turned out for ~12hrs a day for the last couple months (after being stall bound for what felt like ages in late winter / spring). And we've been able to stay relatively 'active' in his recovery, with generally routine walkabouts and hacks, etc. 

So he isn't exactly starting from zero. But it's still to be determined how well his feet hold up to more and heavier usage --- more trotting, more cantering, eventually some jumps again. We'll see. It's all ahead of us --- but I am so excited at the prospect of maybe getting my favorite riding horse back <3 <3

16 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you. Quaid’s feet changed shape and he was only lame for 2 months while his hoof healed. I can only imagine with Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that with Quaid too. These hoof injuries are no joke!

      Delete
  2. That is so great, Emma! I love reading about Charlie and it is so exciting to have him on the mend! You have taken such good care of him and been so patient and I’m glad it’s paying off. It is really cool, too, to hear that you want to be some sort of official and I hope you can share the process as that develops. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I’m so relieved that Charlie continues to get better and better!! And re: getting into more stuff on the administrative side of horse shows, I may write more about that at some point but may not lol. Still feels like I have so much more to learn first!!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful news! And please blog everyday! So many bloggers I follow are now gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha thanks, and yea sometimes I get a little sad scanning the old blog list on the side bar…. It’s a hard habit to keep up and there are so many mean voices on the internet that can make it hard to share sensitive details…. But so far the benefit of having all these memories saved plus interacting with what’s left of the community is worth it to keep writing !

      Delete
  4. My heart is so happy for you both!!! There's nothing worse than watching them in pain, fingers crossed that is all behind you now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so so so SO hopeful!! Tho ya know. He IS the king of the dings so naturally after writing and posting this I went out to see him and he has an epic heal grab wound, womp…. It’s always something !

      Delete
    2. oh FFS Charlie! He knew you were posting and had to adjust expectations.

      Delete
    3. ugh, *heel grab.... but yea, seriously. can't ever get *too* excited around these parts lol

      Delete
  5. Ugh, just saw your heel grab update. Crossing fingers for TWO riding horses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear things are looking up! And hope that heel grab heals soon. I need to follow your lead and do some different things since mine is sadly now retired younger than Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw i'm so sorry to hear that about yours having to retire young, ugh horses are such heart breakers :( good luck with finding alternative ways to get your fix.... volunteering has been really helpful for me, and in the past i've filled the gap with weekly lesson programs too...

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad that Charlie is doing better! I've been away for a bit, so catching up on all of your posts! It's been a long journey with him, but I'm so glad it's really starting to look up. I can't wait to read more about Doozy and what you guys have been up to!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So excited for this update! Great news! Keep up the good hoof growth Charlie!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.