Friday, September 1, 2023

the PPE post

The pre-purchase exam: What, why, and how I've used medical history (or lack thereof) in horse buying decisions.  

Let's start with the basics. Most horse sellers will allow you to hold the horse for a specified time period (maybe 5 days to a week) with a nonrefundable deposit (often 10% of purchase price) in order for you to arrange a medical exam to inform your purchase decision. 

The standard PPE package offered by most vets in my area includes a physical exam - TPR, vitals, listening to the heart and lungs, evaluation of the horse's presenting physical condition, etc - plus flexion + jog tests to assess overall soundness.

Depending on findings from this preliminary assessment, you may decide to either proceed with the sale, walk away, or pursue additional diagnostic tests such as taking radiographs (at cost) of particular joints or areas of interest -- either bc those are areas you specifically care about, or based on findings from the flex tests. You might also draw blood for testing any time over the next 30 days -- for example if the horse's demeanor or soundness changes dramatically and you suspect he may have been drugged.

isabel, c. 2014
I purchased Charlie, my first ever horse, in 2016 for $2,500, and did a PPE plus hock rads plus blood drawn, for a total cost of $615. Notably, the vet who did Charlie's PPE was local to me (vs local to the adoption facility), and would continue on as the horse's primary care provider. 

So her recommendations, based on both the PPE and my goals, were directly intertwined with expectations around developing a care plan going forward with Charlie. For example, we determined that he would continue to need hock maintenance based on PPE results, but was otherwise cleared for eventing!

she was always a good patient, and generally quite sound!
Buying Charlie felt like an incredible leap of faith, and I was pretty insecure about the whole thing. Everything about it was new and scary - the level of financial commitment, the uncertainty around whether this un-restarted (and huge) racehorse would be a good fit, moving to a new-to-me boarding barn.... 

Getting the pre-purchase exam done by a vet I trusted helped reassure me about my decisions, gave me confidence about having done my due diligence, and also proved to be Step 1 in building out Charlie's care team --- the group of professionals I'd need to rely on to keep everything on track.

bali, c. 2015
Flashback to a year prior, and we see a similar story play out with a different ending. Longtime readers might remember Bali, a sweet OTTB on the verge of flunking out of the lesson program at the farm where Isabel lived. I started schooling him on the side, and basically fell in love.

Alas, he had some physical characteristics that.... Gave me pause about committing when it became clear his time was up at the lesson program. But, just to be sure, we did a lameness eval + rads -- essentially amounting to a targeted version of a PPE. In this situation, I already kinda knew what we'd find... But maybe just needed to be told in no uncertain terms. Needed to know that actually, it was kinder to him to let him go to a non-sport home. 

gosh i loved him, but he was not destined for soundness
So, flash forward to nearly present time. Before I bought Mondeuse, if you'd asked me about doing a PPE, my advice would have been "absolutely." "Cheap insurance." "Peace of mind." "Set a good baseline, eliminate some uncertainty."

"Why would you not?"

Aaaand then I started horse shopping, found Doozy, evaluated the circumstances, talked through the pro / con arguments with a few friends.... And completed the purchase without a vet exam.

charlie, c. 2016
To answer the "Why not?" question above... Basically it boiled down to the pure economics of this particular sale. Doozy's sale price was $1,500. Meanwhile, the adoption facility is out of range for both my normal vet practice and the few others I've used over the years. 

There are certainly excellent practices local to the Fair Hill area, many of which came highly recommended, and many of which offer a wide array of PPE services for non-regular clients. Ahem, to the eyepopping tune of $650 for just the physical examination and flexions. Not even including any x-rays you might want.

we entered our maintenance relationship with eyes wide open
So let's break down that math a bit, yes? Charlie cost $2,500, and got a PPE valued at $615 (including rads). So I basically paid another 25% of his purchase price to assess that he didn't have any major red flags that would preclude him from long term soundness. 

Which. Ya know. He's a high mileage horse with a lot of wear and tear on his body. Soundness continues to be an issue for him. But he's also had a number of accidents and injuries -- the splint surgery, various hoof punctures over the years, getting caught up in fences.... stepping on a god forsaken piece of gravel and having the bottom of his foot fall off... Ya know. All sorts of external factors that the PPE can never rule out.

And what we did learn on the PPE, we already understood from his history. The PPE just gave us a more well-defined lens --- but we probably would have done his hocks anyway, right?

were less aware of what the hoof situation would be tho
As for the math on Doozy, a $650 PPE that didn't even include x-rays for a $1,500 purchase price seemed to fly in the face of rational thought. 

A trusted friend played devil's advocate and peppered me with questions -- Didn't I want rads to make sure nothing significant happened from Doozy's fence accident? And, Given all of Charlie's hoof issues, didn't I want pics of Doozy's hooves too? Friends who've been thru other circles of lameness hell added, I'll never buy another TB without checking for kissing spines!

My answer? The horse currently appears sound. Quite sound, actually. Taking pictures of 3-4 different areas might find something that may or may not be significant, but that has no manifest physical presentation in the horse. It might be "nice to know" about those areas, but at what cost vs what impact on my decision? In this case, adding rads to the PPE could easily amount to $1,000+ in exam fees -- for what is, by all appearances, a sound and cheap horse.

mondeuse, c. 2023
None of those questions were compelling enough for me to spend $1,000 on a PPE that would only provide raw information about the wisdom of spending $1,500.... I'd rather buy the horse outright, and divert that PPE cash away from diagnostics and toward treatments -- like ulcergard, body work, training, etc. 

Because again, in this case, it really did come down to purchase price. The calculus changes entirely based on this sole factor. I referenced the "cheap insurance" analogy earlier, but what does that mean when the purchase price itself is already cheap? 

It's been said you should "only insure what you can't afford to replace." Is $1,500 insignificant? Absolutely not. But it's equivalent to 2-3 months of board. Assuming my budget works, that's how long it'd take to replace the cost if things don't work out and Doozy goes back. 

In this case, knowing Doozy can go back to the facility is the insurance, rather than the physical exam and flex tests. A different situation - like with a more expensive horse and no take-back option - could result in a different decision. Spending $1K to evaluate the wisdom of a $15K purchase is a very different equation, right?

gettin started with a bang!
My own personal situation is also a little different now than it was when I bought Charlie. I'm more confident in my horse selection process, more confident that I know what I like. And comfortable knowing it'll be ok if it doesn't work out long-term either. 

I also have an excellent and established tribe now. I know they'll be honest about their assessments of the horse, and I know I'll heed their advice. For example, one friend came with me to look at horses, and others weighed in on the videos. General consensus of the horse was favorable, even knowing she has some areas we'll keep an eye on -- a recent tieback, imperfect leg conformation that will impact hoof wear, and now this cellulitis situation. 

But we knew that without a PPE, just like we could have surmised Charlie would need hock injections without the PPE. And we'll develop any necessary adjustments to her care plan in response to any compelling physical presentations, as needed. 

we never really know anyway, right? but i'm excited to find out :)
So... Basically, when it comes to a PPE, my opinion is that "it depends on the situation." Context matters. Everybody's tolerance for risk and uncertainty will be just as different and personal as your expectations around expenditures and budgets. 

In the three examples above, I used some PPEs to reaffirm my decisions to buy or not buy, and also skipped a PPE after determining it wasn't likely to change my mind. It might be that in each of those situations you would have chosen differently. Like for Bali, maybe you wouldn't have paid for those rads -- but for Doozy, you would have. 

I'm curious what you think here -  whether you've had similar experiences, if you've used a similar thought process? Or maybe your experiences have completely changed your opinions on PPEs relating to buying horses? Or there's some critically important aspect in your decision making that I didn't even address here? For instance, anything related to the very young horse or the seasoned veteran that might change the stakes compared to an un-restarted OTTB?

People are curious, so please share!!



21 comments:

  1. Great post and it resonates wth me. I did a PPE on Quaid but no x-rays. While his price (and transportation) was not insignificant I also recognized that he was 2 and basically lived free for his whole life. If something showed on the physical I wasn’t going to x-ray, I was going to pass. A positive flexion on a young horse not yet backed would’ve been too much of a red flag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ❤️ this post and it makes so much sense. I'll probably do a whole write up for what I did for both my guys. But basically as you said it depends on the circumstances (like Ben we'd known for several months and he'd been sound for several months doing the thing). One thing I didn't know prior to goggles is if TBs are sold through public auction, they have repository films taken of fetlocks, carpi, hocks, and stifles. This at least rules out OCD lesions in those areas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man. I could write my own lengthy post on this subject. I have purchased 5 horses since 2014. I did PPEs on 2 of them. I did PPEs on 2 other horses that I did not purchase, due to the findings.

    It's interesting, because in some cases, I absolutely should have done a PPE -- it likely would have saved me a lot of time, money and heartache. In other cases, the PPE did not ultimately show what ultimately became showstoppers for us later on down the line.

    With my current horse, I did a pretty extensive PPE. I'm glad I did, because it still, to this day, it gives me piece of mind that he does not have certain inherent conditions that I can rule out when training issues pop up. Plus, I have a pretty good catalogue of xrays that vets can look at to reference changes over time (which is more helpful than one xray taken at a certain point in time.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first horse I bought was local, and we got to see him and try him out. We didn't do a PPE and unfortunately ended up having to retire him early with osteoarthritis. For Mae (OTTB), I did not get to see her in person so we did a full PPE with leg x-rays. She now has kissing spine (managed) and I wish we got back x-rays before I bought her. I didn't get to see Dalton in person, we bought him off video (didn't even have a sale ad). We didn't do a PPE but did get a full set of x-rays (legs, neck, back, etc), which our vet looked through. I think most for sale imports will have those. Our vet highlighted a few potential small problem areas with him for the future. I agree with Shauna says - it'll be good to have that catalogue of x-rays to refer back to as he gets older. I agree, different circumstances will call for different approaches

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn’t do a PPE for either Fetti or Polly. Fetti was gifted and we already had multiple years of lease at that point, so no surprises with her. Polly.. Polly was two. Two, not broke, appeared sound, had good gut feeling about the seller. She didn’t know how to trot on a line or in hand. Would a PPE have caught her stifle problems? Maybe. Maybe not. Our first thought was “strengthen” not “surgery”. I’m not sure a PPE would have changed that, even if it had shown up at that point. Sometimes it’s just shit luck and things happen, yknow?
    -Figure, who can’t convince mobile to let me have a profile and name today

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't do a PPE on my $1500 OTTB for the exact same reason. It was going to be $500 with a vet in another state. He was remarkably sound the whole time I had him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with all your points! Knowing her situation a little more, it makes complete sense you skipped the PPE. Dee got one mainly because of her age, some of the issues that can crop up as a 4yo and being a 4yo not in work, I wanted to be sure. If someone handed me a horse under 3k I think I'd forgo the PPE if the horse looked sound and had a good record.

    I almost did skip it on the 2yo because he looked great but the vet wasn't confident in the flexions, and low and behold, massive ocd lesion in the stifle. And if he had been in some work, all 3 vets that looked at the rads said it might be a different story, but all 3 suggested surgery and the owners wouldn't budge on price so, I passed.
    PPEs are also wild because it's an opinion. I saw a PPE done in my barn on a 15 yo welsh cob and the vet doing the PPE didn't totally fail him but said she was concerned about what she saw on a xray that looked like a bone lesion that turned out to not be by later xrays done by the local vet.(This btw was at least an 8k PPE that went on for almost 3 and a half hours) And there are horses that "fail" a ppe but never have an issue a day in their lives. PPEs are just so subjective in nature.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just coming back to add, I do get a little frustrated with the OTTB resellers that push the "You can't ride the xrays" narrative. I get that some people can be unreasonable about findings on PPEs. But if you are a conscientious horse owner that does not have your own property to retire a horse should it not work out, you are looking at a serious, significant financial outlay to support that horse for the rest of its life. One of my horses had a career ending injury at 16, after owning him for 1 year. I am facing $30k - $45k to fund his retirement, as he is otherwise healthy, just not rideable. The general American public does not have that in retirement savings for themselves, never mind a horse. It's not a bad idea to mitigate the risk as much as you can. It costs just as much to support a lame horse as it does a sound one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never done a PPE on any horse, mostly because all of my horses have been super cheap! I think they can be useful, as Charlie's seems to have been, but my thought is that I can address issues if they arise- no sense in looking for trouble, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't do a PPE on either of my horses, but Cinder was 4 months old, and Peebs' former owners were very honest about his issues. However, after being in my trainer's program for the past couple of years, I would absolutely do at least x-rays if I was in the market for a TB. I've seen a number of them with some level of kissing spine, from manageable, to needing surgery, to needing to be pasture pet. It's to the point where my trainer pretty much won't look at one with Storm Cat in it's pedigree. It could just be the TBs bred in the PNW have a family tree that's more of a wreath, but I'd do the same for horses bred elsewhere just to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The no storm cat thing isn't a bad idea considering how often storm cats broke down on the track...

      Delete
    2. if we followed that rule, we'd have never had Charlie <3

      Delete
    3. Always exceptions. And he doesn't have a screw loose either (plus storm cat's several generations back). And, I say all this and I like Giant's Causeway

      Delete
    4. doozy's dam line goes through storm cat too ;)

      Delete
    5. We do have a KY bred Storm Cat in the barn that's a great mare. It's mainly the OR/WA bred Storm Cats that tend to break down super quick.

      Delete
  11. I think I would still do the PPE. I'm actually less of a believer in flexions than your average bear, but I would want my (personal, trusted) veterinarian's impressions on how the horse moves on different surfaces and the radiographic findings (I'd probably do at least the standard 4 hoof views and hocks, possibly pasterns if indicated, I'd skip neck and back depending on the intended use of the horse/vet's impression). Also, I would want the baseline information for future comparison. If we find pastern arthritis somewhere down the line in year 2, I want to know if that's stable pastern arthritis or if it's something that's been rapidly accelerating over the last 24 months.

    Even in your exact same position with Mondeuse, where it sounds like you can send her back to a soft landing with not much more lost than her purchase price and a few months of board, I'd still want the information. Again, for the baseline. But more realistically because I know that it takes, for me, more than 2-3 months to figure these things out. I'm a try-er and maybe I'm a little too prone to sink costs, but I don't think I'd be willing to hand a horse back after 3 months unless it was an astronomically bad fit personality-wise. Realistically I think it would take a year, especially if it was my only horse. So knowing that I'd be close to 10k down the hole after a year only to decide it wasn't sound enough for me.... the 2k PPE (that's what mine would cost in my area) would be worth it for me. In your situation, ti sounds like at the very least, your 1k PPE would have saved you $500 if it had been a hard no from the get go.

    All of that said, I am interested in doing things that would preclude a PPE. I'd like to breed something sometime, maybe. I'd like to retrain a mustang. So I'm certainly not averse to entering situations with the risk of no PPE. It's just that, I think if I CAN choose it, I probably will.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I bought Subi, I didn't know WHAT a PPE was and didn't do one. I also bought him from my trainer and he'd been at my barn for 4 years. Hie was a known entity. I also spent more on him than all my others combined (batt, Hayley, Nay Nay, AND Jiminy). I was also in a better financial place and he was also better trained. LOL

    Nay Nay? He was 1400 with x-rays from the facility 1 year apart that they were happy to share with my vet. He has an ugly ankle, but otherwise was sound 1 year apart too. I didn't do a PPE. He has issues. None of his issues would have come up on a PPE. The thing is, if he EVER has issues that I can't handle/deal with/makes him unrideable and I don't want to keep him (he can live out his life in my guest room, this is hypothetical -- I AM NOT RETURNING HIM), the rescue will take him back. No time limit. Because of that, I felt there was less risk to not doing a PPE. I was also in a rush finding a horse because Subi was in such a bad place and Nay fit. But, I didn't see a need for a 1400 horse. It just... didn't feel necessary. Yes, it's a baseline. But if I'm not using it...

    I encourage people to do them or consider them, but I've yet to do one myself. It's information to have.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Almost undoubtedly, any PPE I could have had done on Cessa would a) have cost more than she did and b) would have shown what we pretty much knew because she's been on the same property for most of her life. Of the other three - well, I wasn't quite on site for their births, but not for lack of trying. lol And PPE would not have caught the combination of bacteria and unidentifiable susceptibility to vision issues that led to putting Justice down.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a really interesting post. You bring up a lot of good points and back up them up with real-life examples. I had a PPE done on my first horse but not on any of the others. With my last horse, I did have a local-to-the-horse vet look him over between the time I bought him and the time I brought him home. He needed his vaccinations updated, and it just made sense to have his eyes looked at, heart and lungs listened to and that sort of thing while the vet was there anyway. I've never had a major health problem or lameness crop up within the first year after I bought a horse, so I feel like it was a good choice to save my money. On the other hand, I've never needed my horses to do more than light trail riding and/or local showing at the most. Perhaps if I were interested in buying more of an athlete, I might be more inclined to pay for a PPE? Not sure about that one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There's an old saying, "You can't ride the x-rays". Meaning sometimes there are things on the x-rays that never cause a problem, and you might pass on a wonderful horse for no good reason. For me, after all of the issues I've had over the years, I generally always do a PPE. Not so much to rule out the horse, but to know ahead of time what sort of maintenance I might be looking at. But I think in your situation with Doozy, I might have made the same decision. Especially since you can always return her if things if don't work out.
    When I bought Romey a few years back, I thought the return policy was only for the first month. So despite his price tag being $2500, I did a PPE with full radiographs. I wound up spending more on the PPE than I did on the horse. And then a year later it turns out he'd had a broken bone (prior to me owning him) way up high in a hind leg. Someplace that you would never radiograph on a ppe. So all that money spent and we still missed a major red flag that led to me sending him back to the rescue. Which thankfully they were willing after all that time had passed.
    For Al, I bought him sight unseen off a video from Europe, so a PPE was pretty necessary in my opinion. I didn't have eyes on him, never sat on him, and he was quite a bit more expensive that Romey had been. The nice thing about Europe though is that vet work is SO much less expensive over there! Worth the cost in that situation regardless though.
    This was a great well thought out post. Thanks for the conversation starter!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never done a PPE in my life. I haven't bought a lot of horses and each one was under EXTREMELY specific circumstances. I'm not saying I recommend my methodology, but in each circumstance it made sense given essentially the factors you listed. Cheers to the new critter!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.