Friday, March 18, 2022

friday fotos: chicken or the egg (again)

Happy Friday, y'all! It's obviously been a quiet week around these parts while Charlie enjoys his annual spring rejuvenation sessions haha... So, eh, let's shift gears and talk about just how absolutely unhinged I can get when somebody observes a slightly-less-than-perfect, or even -*gasp!*- flawed aspect of my beloved unicorn. 

pictured: my horse, standing the way he has always stood, the way he always will stand
AND, extra special bonus, let's populate the post with the approximately 8,000 photos I snapped while creepily obsessing over Charlie's general stance while he was on his hour breakout from stall rest the other day (blissfully enjoying the lone protected paddock full of luscious green untouched grass!). 

he puts his right foot fore, he puts his left foot back, he puts his right foot fore and he shakes it all about is massively asymmetric whoops
For some background: I brought Charlie home in Sept 2016 after his last race in Aug of that year. And he had his first chiro/acupuncture appt that January. The chiro immediately noted that Charlie's shoulders were very uneven. Recall -- a horse's shoulders attach to his skeleton by muscle not bone, and Charlie's muscling had developed such that his shoulders are uneven in both height and relative position.

flashback to 2016: a skinnier more angular and somehow-even-more-awkward Charlie, standing how he stands.
It didn't take long for me to realize this was probably related to Charlie's awkward grazing stance, pictured above, AND related to his tendency to underrun his RF heel. 

ooooh omg tho -- is he, omg, almost square up front?!
Thus, our "Chicken or the Egg?" question. What became uneven first -- his shoulders? And therefore he stood funny? Or was there a hoof problem for which his shoulders compensated? 

Or, alternatively, it was suggested that sometimes young horses, esp gangly giant 2yo TBs beginning their racing careers, might be so tight in their backs that they can't comfortably reach the ground to graze -- and thus develop the strange stance? 

lol aaaand another 2017 goofy flashback: when he legit used to literally step inside his water troughs to drink....
Obvi I'll never really know the answer. But... It's interesting that... Ya know. The horse is still asymmetric. Maybe it was unrealistically optimistic that we'd be able to undo literally years of formative muscular and skeletal development. Esp considering that, ahem, yours truly ain't exactly the most balanced individual either....

i swear, i don't need any help driving my own self crazy
I think we've fixed *some* of it, tho. Like, Charlie's hooves are generally in good shape and he has plenty of heel on that RF these days. And while he still stands a little awkwardly at times, it's not nearly as exaggerated or pronounced as it used to be. 

omg charlie don't stand like that you'll club *both* your feet!! wait....
But. Uh, cough cough, I about lost my shit when some random dude at a schooling show last year was asking me all these questions about Charlie, and then outta nowhere was like, "But that club foot tho."

Excuse me, what?!??

to be clear, he was spying on me too tho
Cue immediate (and indignant) google searches. Not only was I mortified that somebody might call my serviceably sound and obviously awkward horse imperfect omg. But also.... Being 100% honest here, I could straight up not even tell which flipping foot the guy was talking about.... And, for those of you who just assume I'm clueless, neither could my more knowledgeable friends. 

this stance is not nearly as aggressive as it used to be. still enough to make for an unmatched front end tho
That was sorta a dusty backwaters barn full of folks I'd never met before and haven't met since, so basically I just shrugged it off and was like, "Ugh my horse is fine and he has a good team."

But then.... Ugh somebody I actually trust and respect recently echoed a similar sentiment, remarking on Charlie's "somewhat clubbish" hoof. Which obviously inspired a whole new cycle of panic completely disassociated from the actual animal himself, who, again, is doing just fine

also an unmatched set of shoulders. which, ya know, explains some stuff lol
But ya know. I don't exactly need an engraved invitation to hyperventilate. So here we are. Obsessing again over Charlie's asymmetries and front feet that are not a matched set. 

this pic is a few months old but the best i could find of both fronts in one shot
Luckily, tho, it takes too much energy to stay too excited for very long, plus I've had a chance to talk to a couple MVPs on Team Charlie. Who both basically confirmed that an "unmatched set" does not equal "a club foot." And while we could basically work out which foot these folks meant (hint: the one on which Charlie stands in a more upright fashion), it's clinically marginal.

he don't seem to mind tho
My farrier's position is, he won't mess with asymmetries without clear intent and knowledge of what he's gonna do and why. Basically saying, symmetry alone (especially in hooves) is not a sufficient goal -- and furthermore, forcing symmetry where it doesn't naturally want to be may be a direct route to significant lameness. My vet agreed, saying that barring any direct presentation in the horse, she's reluctant to change management styles. 

Which, obvi, those two voices matter significantly more to me than probably any other tedious litanies from the peanut gallery. 

But still, tho. Damn, am I the only one who can hear remarks like that and be like, "OMG this thing I've literally never even considered before is sure to be our eternal doom and damnation omg!!1!" Or... Is that just me lol? Has anybody else ever been completely taken aback or shocked by some random unsolicited remark lobbed at your poor pony?! Hopefully no... but if yes, how did you deal with it???






21 comments:

  1. Carmen’s front hooves are not the same. My farrier says the same as yours- leave it alone. TBH unless afoot is really bad I suck at seeing a club foot.
    But yes to the random comments lobbed at me by strangers. 🙄 like why do people do that. Although once someone said something about Carmen being dominant (not a stranger but not a friend, more an acquaintance) and it helped me rethink a lot of stuff in a way that helped me. So, with the law of averages every now and then one might be helpful? 🤷‍♀️

    And one more thing (#triggered): no horse is perfect and especially those that we can afford! Few people have a perfect body so CAN WE JUST LET IT GO ALREADY?
    There. I feel better. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dude yes haha... idk why people expect these animals to be like, flawless specimens sculpted from marble or whatever lol.... like, don't you ever just wake up with a crick in your neck? why on earth wouldn't horses experience the same things??

      Delete
  2. Mae has an unmatched set in the front as well. And when we got her, she had a hunter's bump. Luckily most everyone has been kind and only tells me how sweet she is - the only ones to point out her faults are her own momma and her trainer lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha well momma and trainer are allowed to tell it like it is, right?? errybody else can zip it ;)

      Delete
  3. I get worried about what I post about L seeing as he is a lease, and while I have a decent amount of say, I work with his owner like a partnership, he is not mine at the end of the day. I get a lot of unsolicited advice IRL on how to deal with L and his spooks, less his feet because I refuse to share about that, I did it once and regretted it. My go to has been unless you're paying the bills, don't tell me please. I have my trusted network and so far they have not let me down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh man... unsolicited advice and horse people go hand in hand like white on rice omg.... i don't blame you for just staying mum about it. i'm sorta that way about charlie's gate and barn sour behaviors. everybody thinks they have some majikal original idea that will instantly solve all your deep rooted problems, if only you had thought of it yourself!

      also love "unless you're paying the bills, don't tell me." i'd add to that -- or unless i'm paying *you* for the privilege of your counsel haha...

      Delete
  4. To answer your question, Yes. I immediately spiral DEEP into "OMG this thing I've literally never even considered before is sure to be our eternal doom and damnation omg!!1!", complete with deep dive into internet vet journals and medical papers. I once had an esteemed sports medicine lameness vet tell me that he could legit present at a vet conference with the folder of case studies I had brought along with me to a vet appointment.

    However, I tend not to spiral based on other people's comments. I manage to do it all on my own, without input from others :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha omg that is amazing about the case studies tho.... i feel that in my bonesssss haha bc that's exactly the sort of thing i would do, and i haven't even had to face *nearly* the level of complexity and seriousness with charlie's issues that you've had to contend with in your animals ugh. but ya know. knowledge is power, i guess, so sometimes the tail spins are worth it?? maybe???

      Delete
  5. My 22 year old TB has the "worst feet" confirmed by x -rays from multiple vets and multiple farriers. When my in-laws (who used to have horses) commented on how bad his 'angles' were, I also went into a tail spin. Since I do most of his trimming and casting myself (under the guidance of our farrier and vet) I immediately took all responsibility for ruining my RETIRED TWENTY TWO YEAR OLD who has had bad feet for all 18 years I have owned him.

    You're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ugh that sounds awful. like. guys, some horses -- and esp some TBs bred for speed at the expense of... literally everything else -- just aren't gonna have text book feet. and some things don't really get *better* per se, we just do what we can to keep them from getting worse, or creating new problems elsewhere. like, what did they expect you to do about it -- completely change a senior horse's hoof shape???

      Delete
  6. one judge threw like, every conformation flaw at Madigan at a sporthorse-in-hand class last year and I was stressed out for a while! according to this judge Madigan was cow hocked, toed out, ewe necked, generally underdeveloped and pig-eyed (I think that last one was just to add insult to injury). (somehow this judge also scored Madigan like, 73% in this class, so he couldn't have hated him THAT much??)

    now that the horse is actually going under saddle and moving reasonably well, I am much less concerned. (he is also becoming less toed out and cow hocked as he fills out.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dude, young horse judges are ruthless omg. i've scribed for a couple of those classes (both in hand and under saddle) and damn, they really let loose. agreed tho that... at the end of the day, all that matters is that you're able to do the things you want to do with your horse -- and Madigan sounds like he's developing into quite a nice little package!

      Delete
  7. Honestly, I don't think there are many horses in the world - and certainly not many TBs - with perfect feet. I've certainly not known any, except Arwen, who is a Nooitie and literally bred for almost nothing EXCEPT having perfect feet (you are automatically marked down for showing a Nooitie in shoes - their breed standard requires them to be able to cope barefoot).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my lord, "able to cope barefoot" sounds so so SO NICE haha, saying this as charlie officially transitioned into his $$ leather padded "boat shoes" for the season, sob...

      Delete
  8. My farrier says most horses have some level of unevenness in their hooves. And that a lot of it does have to do with their formative years.

    To make you feel better, my OTTB stands with one leg in front of him a lot and also has uneven feet. But is still a champion in my heart. ;) (And soundly competing second level and schooling third at 13 years old)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! see -- that's the juice haha, our sweet wonderful imperfect champions who keep on taking us farther <3 <3

      Delete
  9. I think you'd be hard pressed to find an OTTB with matching feet. I'm pretty sure they're bred to be horrendous lol! And a club foot is not the same as an upright foot, you uneducated fools, so fuck them.

    Also I get low key offended when people say Opie looks like a QH because of his chonk build. *I* am allowed to say that, no one else is, thanks very much.

    OK, I'm done being petty and annoyed now 😁

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a feeling that dude just learned about club feet so he's looking for them out in the wild. I've had horses with what the vet called a "clubby" foot (not problematically clubbed, but somewhat) and it was a non thing. Something the farrier dealt with and I never had to.
    No horse is perfectly symmetrical, they're handed just like we are! I don't think Charlie stands especially awkwardly. Most horses have a leg out when they graze so they can reach the ground. I've never seen one standing squarely eating from the ground.
    But to answer your actual question, um... yes. Of course I can get all squirrelly about a perceived issue I hadn't noticed! I mean, isn't life about waiting for that other ball to drop and everything to go to shit? No? Just me?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, totally hear you there! I get very out of sorts when people criticize Amber. Like one reining trainer said her chest was too "wide" to really be able to spin well. Um...huh?? We were at a show, so I couldn't really do anything but do the pattern and spin, and low and behold after he was like "oh wow yeah I guess she's fine." Like, the purpose of saying that was...???? lol Amber does have a "clubby" RF hoof, but really it's not THAT different from her LF and we really don't need to shoe it differently.
    I think this is actually more of a problem than many people realize. People expect "pretty feet" like all four feet MUST be the same and MUST look pretty. One owner I knew continuously made her horse lame because she insisted the farrier shoe her with the same angles on all four feet. The farrier ended up refusing to trim the horse after a bit. One horse I rode also had a super wonky RF, and it all started from his forearm and then how the angle of his whole leg rested. Only one farrier could keep him sound, because the others wanted to correct it, but this one just shod him at the angle the foot wanted. I do find it crazy that people expect horses to be perfect, but would most of us pass a PPE?? lol No, we wouldn't LOL
    And PS - he looks just fine and dandy and happy as could be :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I find my own problems, lol. I do agree with comments above that this guy probably just learned about club feet - and also, jeez, how long did he stare at your horse, because if it's something you have to take a while to figure out which foot he was talking about...

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of my fairly good friends commented that my beloved jellinore was a bit chubby while camping once and I texted three vets to confirm that my babby was just muscular not fat. After getting several "she's more of a 5.4-6 than a 4.5-5" I indignantly put her on a reasonable diet which failed at reducing her weight until I got another dog. But oh my God I was offended offended offended at my friend who said it, but did text her later to be like FINE MAYBE A TOUCH CHUBBY.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.