Monday, March 7, 2022

blowing smoke -- dressage edition

Oh hey there, happy Monday!! It was a WARM weekend around these parts, holy moly -- I lost count of all the flocks of geese and spring blossoms, but it was a LOT! 

behold! the dressage thoroughbred! 
Saturday in particular was pretty much perfect. It dawned chilly with below-freezing temperatures that promised not to flirt too heavily with 45*F until about 11am-ish... But... The air still had that balmy sort of feel where you just KNEW it was gonna be nice. 

I had planned to turn Charlie out in a sheet since we'd be bringing him in around 11 anyway... but damn, the 30*F at 7am was just so nice that we stripped all dem horses (Charles included) and sent them on their merry ways to bask in the sunshine as they saw fit. 

ooooooh and if it ain't the peanut gallery come to tailgate!! <3
Lucky for me, Charlie didn't actually roll much -- or if he did, he did it in the grass not the dust. I say "lucky" bc literally the only thing we did in preparation for this weekend's Fix-a-Test Clinic at Thornridge was, um, ahem, groom the horse. I tidied his mane, glossed his tail, trimmed his "feathers," and.... eh, called it good!

on our way to warm up
It's funny looking back on my post a couple weeks ago when I was like, "Ohmygod let's ride 2nd!!1!" I was so young then. So idealistic, optimistic, ambitious..ic. More realistically, tho, riding a big (for us) test means big preparation. And in winter, that's hella hit-or-miss. And esp when maybe we are excited to start jumping again too... Well. The sitting trot took back seat. I'd apologize except... nah, lol.

looking down to the warm up from inside this absolutely stunning barn
So. We decided to just carry on with riding the new Novice A test. It's a good test, and clearly our first foray in riding it showed some key areas for improvement. Plus, not gonna lie, the easy option felt like the right choice here. Almost without me knowing, Charlie has ended up on the trailer just about every single week for the last few weeks -- and has started showing signs he's ready for his spring wellness appointments. 

ha, sorry guys, my folks aren't horsey and this is legit the only action shot i have. bask in its glory!
And AND -- my aunt was in town from the West Coast, and we all had dinner plans that night --- meaning my parents were driving in from the Eastern Shore -- and, obviously, why wouldn't we all just meet at Thornridge for a little tailgate pregame, amirite?? 

Plus, as if we needed additional reasons, a new barn mate was coming along too, for her first official off farm fandango with her amazing horse George. I love George, he's a seasoned chestnut TB gelding who has done all things hunter, plus some. And now he has his very own person who wants to spoil him rotten and learn everything he has to teach. It's basically perfect -- so we were all aboard the "positive experience" train, ya know?

"come at me" -- charlie, 100%
Which... Was useful. Bc guys. Omg. Charlie was a BAD DOG for our own rides, oh my fucking god. 

Like. I don't say that lightly, but.... I also say it while my heart brims with love for this ridiculous emotional off-track brontosaurus that I'm lucky enough to call my own. 

But wowza. He was not good haha, and we learned nothing. 

very pretty at standing tho <3
AND!! We have like zero media to share with you so hahahaha you're just gonna have to take my word for it ;) 

For real tho, for those who have been following along for a while -- y'all already know that basically every horse, but especially Charlie, has a go-to tell when something is bugging them. Charlie's is all about refusing to go forward. His "dinosaur-stuck-in-a-tarpit" moments, as I've fondly referred to them over the years. 

click to embiggen if you want to see comments
Mostly we've moved beyond that via a mosaic of various approaches --- wellness, obvi, but also training. Wellness is probably the root cause of this ride's evil, since I already knew he was ready for his spring juice (and had already actually made the appt) but just sorta figured a lowkey dressage ride would be fine. 

Training is the other bugaboo tho bc... Guys, the lowkey dressage ride *should* have been fine. Woof, Charles, once he realized he wasn't in Kansas any more when he got away with his first little indiscretion (bc I was inadequately armed and not altogether emotionally prepared to use, ahem, all my aids in front of my non horsey family), he just went to fucking town haha. 

ermagerd they had the CT series ribbons for us -- we were novice champions, woot woot!
Like, at the end of the ring where the judge and scribe (AND MY FAMILY) sit, which also happens to be exactly where Charlie would like to halt and grow roots and not ever move ever again, thank you very much.... Well, if I so much as *touched* him with a spur in that general area, homeboy started letting fly with his hind legs jazz hands. 

for real, tho, bad dressage aside --- the tailgate with friends (esp new friends!) is where it's at!
Not even joking when I'm saying I was sitting up there on him, begging him to just go forward and "PLEASE DONT KICK THE PEOPLE, SIR!! :( "

It was, ahem, not our finest

everything is better with a little brewskis anyway <3
Scores were pretty banging tho, so uh, if you ever need a self confidence boost --- haul your ass over to Thornridge when Phoebe is judging!! And I say that as like, Person #1 in Phoebe's fan club lol. But.... The scores *are* a bit inflated. Tho, it's interesting to me to study the chart below and see what was the same with the last judge too, or esp what got worse. 

and obvi so nice to share my special (in every sense of the word) creature with family!
also please let the record state that charlie is obsessed with my mother
Honestly, I think this particular test, *for us,* lives and dies with that second 2-loop serpentine after the free walk. For whatever reason, Charlie is CONVINCED I'm going to ask him to canter in those corners, and since he's especially touchy about left lead departs, he gets a little riled by anticipation. So we end up losing basically that entire serpentine. 

Or, at least we have so far to date. I'm hoping it's something that can mostly be fixed by integrating new and different patterns into our schooling routine. Plus, ya know, the whole "wellness" thing. 

warning: positive trend lines may be misleading and can instill a false sense of security!
Anyway, tho, while the day wasn't really worth much in terms of experience or education or whatever, it was honestly a great day. Our new barn mate and George had an incredible experience --- including all the ups and downs of mistakes and whoopsies and total and complete validation. Such a good feeling! 

Plus --- possibly most importantly, it was so cool to have my parents and aunt there! My mom brought sandwiches and beers and chairs and the sun was shining and Amy came to hang out even tho Punky is still :( out of commission and we all hung out and and riffed and it was wonderful <3

Not gonna lie. At some point it's entirely possible that my horse habit is going to evolve to where we basically just ignore the horses entirely and enjoy the tailgate. But, eh, not quite yet ;) Hope y'all had a great weekend too! 


18 comments:

  1. Oh man, Charles!! Your commentary on this post was cracking me up!! Love the family tailgate aspect too, how fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol poor long suffering charles, he puts up with so much from me! gotta have a little fun with the bad days too tho, right?

      Delete
  2. Horse event where the tailgating and socializing features heavily = foxhunting. Literally the most fun on horseback ever invented :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i really truly honestly don't understand how i've made it this far without trying foxhunting, but am *determined* that it WILL happen!! bc omg it sounds amazing haha

      Delete
    2. It is truly the most fun! Tailgating, socializing and cross-country jumping. And cool outfits 😎

      Delete
    3. omggggggg the outfits haha.... it isn't exactly the same, but there are a couple more paper chases on the potential calendar this year that might want a more 'traditional' garb. plus, omg we are gonna try to spectate at more local steeplechase races, so.... outfits are *definitely* a thing on my mind omg haha

      Delete
  3. Oh, Charles...lol I'm glad you had a fun outing with your family even if Charlie wasn't quite playing along! I'm heading toward the tailgating only phase myself. Maybe I'll show this year. Who the heck knows? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. seriously, who knows anything any more -- i'm just trying to enjoy as much as i can and not worry about too much else!! (including, apparently, my bitchy horse lol!)

      Delete
  4. So maybe we focus more on 'yay - novice champion' and less on this particular performance lol Gold star for not actually kicking anyone ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg he got REAL CLOSE THO omg... like, epic toddler tantrum the entire time we were at that end of the ring, like couldn't even get him *away* from that end of the ring without him kicking up a literal storm omg haha.... so yea. yay for the sweet champion ribbon!! and we'll just pretend like the rest didn't happen :D

      Delete
  5. But giant ribbon! I mean, it might not have been for the day's activity, but still a win!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not gonna lie, i'm SUPER pumped about that ribbon haha ---- i don't think i've won a tri-color since my rochester days doing the Empires haha. and it's *definitely* charlie's first tri-color omg :D

      Delete
  6. What a fun way to horse with family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wynnie did not succeed as well as Charlie did last weekend at our own family-tailgating-show! We brought along my sister, the other half's brother (with wife and tiny tot), and the other half's friend showed Arwen while I showed little Wynnie. Wynnie leaped. She bucked. She kicked the friend on the wrist - and me on the thigh! Bad Wynnie! Still won tho, so seems like Charles & Wynnie are weirdly in sync...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I honestly think that one day I just want to haul somewhere, ride a bit and then eat snacks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I mean, sassy pony aside, this sounds like a ridiculously fun day! I mean, despite the challenges you still got to come home with previous show swag. So still a win! Sorta!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Charles, feelings much? Congrats on your series award though! Yummy satin!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.