Tuesday, April 16, 2019

MDHT 4/19 Dressage: the details

Yesterday's summary of our season debut at Loch Moy Farm's MDHT April Starter should have dispelled any suspense you may have felt about the outcome haha. We put in a relatively un-competitive dressage test but jumped clear to move up to a 5th place finish. And we felt good about it. Whoop whoop, right?

the starry face tho <3
every single photo in this post is courtesy of and credited to Austen Gage, to whom i'm eternally grateful
Per my usual habit of obsessive documentation, however, I still want to spend a moment writing out the nitty gritties of the day.

trying to channel our inner balance lol
As David O'Connor explained again and again during the various clinic sessions I audited, we should be looking for reproduceable efforts. Specifically, he wanted riders to get away from the good / bad mentality and instead be thinking presently and making decisions, for better or for worse.

The point being, if you don't understand why something worked, how can you repeat it? We need to know the parameters so we can reproduce them (or avoid them, as the case may be haha).

warming up, lookin like a hunk
Obviously that all speaks directly to my overly analytical soul lol and "consistency" is one of my favorite words. So I happily pore over all the details of our rides. Ymmv tho, haha.

Anyways. Going into this show, literally every circumstance seemed positive, or grew increasingly positive on lead up. Which obviously made me suuuuuper suspicious bc that was kinda how I felt going into Plantation too, and we all know how that went.

contemplating our existence in this universe
But again. I was working overtime on my mental game and refused to get drawn into any nasty "what if" cycles.

So the good things were: fantastic ride times and a forecast that improved every time I pulled it up. Originally it was supposed to thunderstorm all day. The storms never materialized tho, and even tho it was humid the temps were cool enough to keep everything quite pleasant.

my face v charlie's face, omg y tho
As for the ride times, it was early enough that I'd be getting Charlie up and out of the barn before sunrise, but only just barely. And even with that, we'd be arriving at Loch Moy ~1.5-2hrs ahead of our ride time. Perfect! That's more time than I need, which is just the way I like it.

charlie is watching them dogs intently tho. just in case, ya know?
Charlie got to hand graze a little bit and then we were super casual and relaxed through tacking and warming up. My warm up plan was pretty simple: walk for basically ever. Then do a bit of trotting and changing directions, a little canter probably sooner rather than later, and see what I was working with.

enter at A, preferably not falling on face
Per my last dressage lesson, I expected Charlie to not be at his most forward. Tho I *did* expect, and was correct, that the atmosphere would be a proverbial shot of oomph in Charlie's arm haha. It was in a good way, tho. And all the walking allowed him to channel that adrenaline into his muscles in a loose manner vs translating it into tension. I also resisted chasing him with my leg, so we never devolved into running either.

trot left!
In my mind, I was focusing mostly in my own position and mechanics. Lately I've been trying to fix my seat and pelvis position, but am starting to believe I've gone too far in putting too much weight into my seat instead of distributing it down my legs and into my stirrups. So that was top of mind, plus keeping my god forsaken reins short-ish lol.

and trot a circle left!
I was on the horse roughly 35min ahead of go time, and when the rider before me didn't show, we were ready and willing to enter at A a little early.

Tho I did request that the judge give me an extra lap or two around the outside of the court, since Charlie wanted to be just a touch spooky and looky. Like, omg Austen's dogs (who had been right there at the rail moments previously when we paused to make sure I knew my test) were somehow now very distracting. Go figure haha #charlielogic

do you think perhaps this dance move is what my trainer means when she tells me to post evenly with both hips?
The judge was nice tho and allowed the extra lap. And, ahem, turned a blind eye when we spooked at the letter A then nearly fell on our faces when I went to enter -- obviously necessitating an emergency extra circle to regroup and try entering again haha.

trot right!! plus bonus weird emma faces!!!!
Once in the ring? Everything flowed more or less better than I expected. On more than one occasion during the test I kinda had this feeling of, "Yea this is good! Way to go, Charlie!"

Tho... Well. It honestly wasn't that good haha. Overall the test scored a solid 3 percentage points worse than our 2018 average for Novice A.

trot a circle right!!
But actually, the difference in score was isolated to three main movements: we biffed our right lead canter transition* and were already into the first quarter of the canter circle before fully correcting the issue. So the transition got a 4.0, then the circle got dinged with a 5.0 too for not being "complete." Considering our first canter circle scored a 7.0, that definitely stung a bit.

*One of these days I'm going to go back and review every single dressage test this horse has ever done to count up how many times we've biffed our leads.... because methinks the percentage is quite a bit higher than it ought to be haha... Womp.

free walk is best walk, according to charlie. also just look at that tail tho...
The final score killing move was our halt and salute, which got a 5.5 for being "not square or balanced," oops. Personally I didn't think it was that bad. But I'm also a bit too familiar with just how truly bad our halts can be haha, so perhaps I'm biased.

moar trottting!!! and hey, we're almost uphill here!
Otherwise, all the other movements were more or less in line with our typical scores for this test. We earned six 7.0s, eight 6.5s, and four 6.0s, plus the aforementioned three blown movements. Minus those three mistakes, those scores were right on target for our typical average 34%.

Ah well! We'll take our 36.9% and be satisfied lol.

canter left!
Commentary revolved around Charlie's need for better more consistent connection and lateral suppleness. Ha. Raise your hand if that sounds familiar ;)

In particular, the judge wanted to see better balance especially in our corners, less bracing over Charlie's topline, more "jump" in his transitions, and a little more energy.

back the other way again
I agree with all of it. ALL. It's just challenging tho. I can get that "Jump" but it comes with tension. Especially in upward transitions, I've kinda been trying to walk a fine line that prioritizes relaxation. Tho, uh, if we miss the transition entirely, perhaps we're a little TOO relaxed lol, so more work as always there.

eventually we did also canter right too!
The rest of the commentary IMO boils down to fitness and strength. Charlie isn't engaged enough behind or coming through over his back, and everything suffers for it. Our pace is lackluster (tho gaits earned yet another 7.0, consistent with last year too, go figure), and Charlie is working too hard (bracing) in his shoulder and neck to support himself, esp through the turns.

Personally I actually felt like our turns were better than average in this test. But our "average" ain't exactly good enough anyway, so it is what it is.

up the center line in our biggest trot of the day, go figure haha
And actually, that's pretty much the long and the short of it haha. From where I sit, with what I know about Charlie, his training, his physical condition, etc, this was a good test for him. Not his best, no no. He can and will be more competitive when he's stronger. But it was good, and he was very obedient (minus the missed lead, oops).

champion unrecognized novice dressage horse, if you just don't look at any of the other scores <3
Tho again, it's an important reminder to me that while *I* see massive improvement in Charlie's "basics," he's still just not a classical dressage horse. He's not built for it, isn't a 'natural.' And as the degree of difficulty ratchets up in future tests (looking at YOU, 10m half circles!), we'll have to work even harder just to pass muster as "average."

That's ok, tho. That's all ahead of us, all for the future. Bc for this day, we went out and we did the thing. And as far as Charlie knows, he's the best dressage brontosaurus that there ever was, and ever will be haha. And I'm sure as shit not gonna tell him any differently!





27 comments:

  1. Always a great attitude to be looking at the future but still allowing yourself to enjoy the here and now. Besides, dressage is just the sped bump on the way to the fun stuff, right? HA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha definitely. Honestly I kinda like the dressage personally tho it’s definitely not as easy with Charlie as it was with Isabel !

      Delete
  2. What a good, trying boy! Even if those scary wolves were whispering mean/scary things ;-)

    Oh man, 10m circles...say it ain't so!

    But that last portrait tho <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol apparently the wolves are only scary AFTER the judge rings her bell, who knew?!!? And yea those 10m half circles haunt my dreams haha. At least the pics are cute tho ;)

      Delete
  3. From my perspective I see huge changes in Charlie's balance and topline. I really do. He's not so downhill, there is more push from behind and he looks so relaxed in the photos. Love the starry face photo. And the contemplating one. :)

    You two look so together and you should be pleased. The scores on any given day from any given judge can have so many factors that it's hard to judge. I tend to go more by where we fell in the pack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and agreed completely!! I don’t stress too much about overall scores bc they can vary so much from judge to judge (tho Charlie has actually been remarkably consistent in his scoring). But I DO like to look at how the scores are distributed - what are the highs and lows relatively speaking. Like typically our transitions are worse than like, a circle score for instance.

      And yes I agree that a judge can only score what they see. But I still will want to fully evaluate those scores to make sure I understand why we got them and what I might be able to do to create change. Eventually lol... for now I’m satisfied enough with our 2nd-to-last place score, esp if we can keep jumping clear to move up!

      Delete
    2. I agree completely. You are so wise.

      Delete
  4. Charlie is a hunk - does that factor in to the scores? It totally should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yesssss it totally should! I’m pretty sure the judge did call him a beautiful horse <3

      Delete
  5. Ahahaha "contemplating our existence". I die. 😂

    ReplyDelete
  6. those last two pictures are adorable. you make some pretty amazing faces in dressage tho!!

    but besides that... god he looks huge. can't he have a slightly larger arena? like large horse disability?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg my faces tho... i don't even know what to say. and you haven't even seen the jumping photos yet! so many good photos of charlie where my expression is just... puzzling LOL.

      and yes i would 100% sign up for a large horse handicap to use a bigger ring!!! giant horse needs all the help he can get!

      Delete
  7. I think you guys are looking great! And I really love your perspective and take aways. It's so much healthier to say, ok, these things are stuff we can work on, but for where we are in the season and our fitness, this was great! Rather than just dwell on what wasn't perfect. If we were perfect all the time, riding would get boring. (Or at least, I like to think that, because I have no idea...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks ;) agreed completely that riding would be boring if everything was just push button haha. i kinda love the ebb and flow of things, tbh. like realistically i would like to score well and do better justice to charlie's training haha, but i care more about the feel i get from him. the feel in this test was very good - he stayed with me and tried the whole way around. compared to our personal best scoring test where .... he was a bit sulky and sour, sorta "fragile" feeling like he'd fight me if i tried pushing for more. so ya know, it's all relative haha!

      Delete
  8. "Needs jump" could have been Bobby's dressage career show name. It's so hard when you're a giant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol ain't that the truth!! and when charlie does finally put a little more "jump" into his moves, it comes with a whole lotta bronto sass + foot stomping too lol....

      Delete
  9. he looks so relaxed in the court - the rest will come!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Honestly, especially with an ding prone horse like Charlie getting out and enjoying him and enjoying eventing is the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks - and totally agreed. it's so hard to keep a smooth feeling of continuity when you're in the never ending cycle of rest or rehab...

      Delete
  11. Congrats! Good job overall especially after the time off and first show of the year.
    The second to last paragraph is exactly what I've been feeling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! yea it felt great for a season opener, and it's so important for us to be able to accept what the judges say based on what they see that day, while also keeping in mind what we know about ourselves, our horses, our training etc etc etc, all those other extenuating circumstances

      Delete
  12. Congrats! OMG Charlie is so expressive in these pics I love it! I do absolutely LOVE that photo of Charlie all earnest with ears up and your face shows just how hard you're concentrating LOLOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha i love that picture too.... austen said i looked like an actual legit emoji lol.... thanks tho, i'm really happy with how it went ;)

      Delete
  13. I agree with previous commenter....hunkiness should be bonus points 😍

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.