Thursday, March 22, 2018

holding my breath

I have about a million thoughts rattling around in my brain right now. Possibly the result of getting through my actual work a little too quickly this week, while simultaneously needing to lie low bc of the latest snow storm. Too much free time for an idle mind!

Typically, in the past I'd take advantage of this little blog platform to spew forth all those random ideas and thoughts and plans and wishes and what not. Lately, tho, I'm finding myself more hesitant and reluctant to commit words to paper blog.

this is goose
I'm not a superstitious person by nature tho. Maybe a titch cynical in the grand scheme of things, but still pretty hopelessly optimistic in my horsey endeavors. Which makes it a little odd that I'm nervous about even whispering about our show this weekend.

Because.... Oh yea, we're entered in a show this weekend. If you were paying attention to my Events Page you'd know that, bc I keep that page pretty updated to help my friends and me stay organized. But I haven't written much else about it.

goose is a big boi lol. and he loves him some sunshine
The entry was sent in a while back, along with some of those other cross derby entries. Back when I had every reason to believe Charlie would be sound again in plenty of time. Luckily, as of my last time checking him (fingers crossed, touching wood) he is, in fact, sound. The "plenty of time" bit wasn't quite what I'd hoped for but.... well. It is what it is.

he's sweet and clever too, tho i definitely feel better about being in close proximity since he got his tusks off haha
The reality is that Charlie's been in very regular work throughout the winter, and has been doing fantastically. Obviously February and early March were a bit of a wash bc of that whole nail business.... But we still managed quite a bit of hacking in between abscesses. And the horse gets pretty extensive daily turnout so.... Ya know. He's probably fine.

one of my favorite views <3
We're entered in the BN at Loch Moy, one of my favorite all time venues. Charlie's been there a number of times already, and competed thru their full spring series last year as he made his eventing debut. Notably, however, we still haven't technically gotten to do BN there before.

wandering around the farm, per usual
Our competitions last year were all at intro/elementary, which hold stadium and cross country in separate areas so those divisions can run concurrently with BN. By summertime I was looking longingly across the fields to the main xc course, eager for our chance to get out there.

Alas, tho, as you already know our fall season had barely begun before it ended early for Charlie's splint extravaganza and resulting surgery.

saying hi to some of the ponies
Finally, it's looking like we'll get our opportunity this weekend. Tho, haha.... I guess anything is possible between now and then. Not least of my concerns is the snow storm Maryland just got, tho the venue is confident the grounds will be ready to go in time.

The weekend's forecast looks mostly promising, but with just enough sketchiness to keep us obsessively checking every few hours lol.

this farm is literally crawling with shetlands
And naturally I worry about our general readiness, as might be imagined. Literally zero aspects of our riding or fitness right now are where I wanted to be. I think it's ok tho. I think it'll be fine.

Obviously there are zero expectations in the dressage ring, beyond hoping that Charlie will be more or less the same horse he is at home. And he's usually a pretty reliable guy. I'll be pleased if we end up with a middle-of-the-pack performance, but unsurprised if we are bringing up the rear instead.

honestly i'm not sure anybody even knows exactly how many there are. but it's a lot haha. they're very sweet tho!
The jumping parts I also feel pretty realistic about in terms of expectations. Charlie did something like 8 million grids this winter (only a slight exaggeration). While he's had some unexpected time off since then, the two times I've jumped him since The Nail made me believe he remembers those grid sessions. His muscle memory is developing.

Sure, I'm still 100% fully capable of missing a distance to spectacular result lol, and won't be surprised if we have one / a few rails. But the idea of 2'6 stadium round with Charlie feels pretty comfortable right now. Ditto the xc course, most of which Charlie schooled in the arena in January.

charlie for his part seems pretty cool with all the other critters
And, per usual at these schooling shows, nothing is timed. So if Charlie needs to trot or walk on course, or pause for a sip at the water.... That's all totally kosher. As is bowing out should he feel like he doesn't have it in him, tho again I expect him to be fine.

So ya know. Yea. I think the riding parts should probably be fine. Honestly the only thing I'm really nervous about is.... being disappointed again. Something happening to ruin the day, whether that's a weather-related cancellation or a soundness problem with Charlie, or something else I haven't even dreamed up as a possibility yet.

he keeps an ear on goose tho, just in case lol
Bc otherwise I'm pretty freakin excited. For all of it.

Excited to condition all my tack and boots. To wash Charlie's tail and groom him to sparkling. To pack the trailer and set out my clothes the night before. To pull up the venue's long driveway and feel the butterflies begin fluttering. To walk my courses and finally swing into the saddle for our rides. And most of all? I'm so so so excited to cross a finish line with Charlie again.

Charlie is everything I dreamed of in an eventing partner, and feels poised for a big 2018. Anything is possible, sure, but cross your fingers for me that this weekend gives us the chance to get back out there and enjoy kicking off the season!!

And in the meantime I'll be going through all my little pre-show rituals and routines. Checking my list and cleaning things up. What are some of your favorite things to do in preparation for a show? Especially if it's been a while? Have you even dusted your stuff off for the season yet or will it still be a little while before your own opening event?

45 comments:

  1. Our first show is this weekend too, so I have everything dusted off and ready to go, although I feel really really unprepared riding wise. Best of luck to you this weekend - you're going to have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! and i feel ya on the "unprepared" sensation too. but it's still exciting all the same - i hope you guys have a total blast too!!!!

      Delete
  2. So excited for your show season to kick off!! Good luck and have fun :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I'm so excited but also so afraid of jinxing it lol

      Delete
  3. All fingers and toes and any other crossables are crossed that you and Charlie have a fantastic show this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I appreciate it! Hopefully it'll be a nonevent in the best way haha

      Delete
  4. Good luck!!! I don't think I have any pre-show rituals, just make sure I have carrots for Cupid and gatorade for me!
    The ponies and piggy are very cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup extra carrots and cookies and snacks are definitely on the list!!! :D

      Delete
  5. Have fun! My pre XC ritual if I'm feeling nervous is to sing 'Don't stop me now' by Queen. Loudly. and Badly. My friends all join in too now, definitely helps with the nerves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol that sounds like quite the sight to behold!!

      Delete
  6. I am crossing every crossable body part so hard so you can show!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! So far everything looks promising but with Charlie I'm learning to never take that for granted haha

      Delete
  7. Ahhh I feel your anticipation and excitement! I'm sure you guys will do wonderfully. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Full of anticipation and excitement, and so hopeful all goes to plan!!

      Delete
  8. Yay!! Good luck!! You guys will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. May and I haven't competed since May or June of 2016... That's kind of a long time ago. I know that the first time we go out this season will probably feel surreal and a bit hectic, but it will also be so exciting. I hope that's the overwhelming feeling you have this weekend. Pure Excitement! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm full of excitement haha, that's for sure! just slightly dreading something happening to spoil all the fun. hopefully tho everything will be ok! and here's hoping you and May will have a blast too when you get back out there soon!

      Delete
  10. This makes me so excited for you!! Fingers crossed it all goes according to plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we've got contingency plans and whatnot, but yea i'm really hoping everything will go just fine :D

      Delete
  11. is there snow??? i hope that calms down. we got that storm and i was like "haha... sucks to be loch moy"

    whistfully dreaming of when I had plans to go. I'm going to a gun expo instead >:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea there's snow but it's melting pretty quickly. honestly most of the fields might even be clear by today. tho i'll be curious to see how they end up configuring the xc courses....

      i wish you were still coming but the gun expo sounds fun too ;) hope to see you around soon tho!

      Delete
    2. they should include the snow as a jump. that would be hilarious.

      and i'll probably make the trip to the fair hill ST in early may!!

      Delete
  12. Whoo hoo! I'm crossing my fingers for you guys! I agree that I think Charlie will be fine, but good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yaaa!!! Good luck! I love the packing and the cleaning and well, all of it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yessss i love all of it too and am really spreading it out this time around, enjoying all of the little small steps haha

      Delete
  14. Your caution is totally understandable. You've had some really random shit this year. Good luck with the show and have fun. I've not written it out yet but Carmen and I are headed to a clinic next week. And we are MARSHMALLOWS. I can't wait to read about your fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooooh that's exciting about the clinic!! this time of year is so hard to really feel prepared, but we do the best we can! i hope you have a blast too!!

      Delete
  15. I'm holding my breathe with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you!!! haha i feel like i might pop but don't dare rock the boat for charlie lol

      Delete
  16. Everything crossed you guys finally make it back out there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. At first I was like 'ehh I don't have any rituals', but then remembered in college, when I wouldn't know who I was riding until a few minutes before my class, I'd always try to find my horse before and give them a breath on the nose (hoping my breath didn't smell terrible lol) and a scratch in their "spot" if I could find it :P Naturally, couldn't always do this but whenever I could get my introductions in, it grounded me and the horse at least had an idea of who was being chucked up there haha!

    Cautiously excited for you and I hope this weekend is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Goose is so cute and big he could always be your backup...

    ReplyDelete
  19. AAAAAAAAH! So psyched for you!!!

    We won't be heading out until May or June. Winter has held true this year and conditioning isn't as easy to get in as a result. The commute between home and barn is also something I still don't have ironed out - especially during inclement weather. C'est la vie! I know we've got more than enough time to do things, so I'm not worrying too much. In the mean time, I'll live vicariously through others =) I can't wait to hear about how tomorrow goes for y'all!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.