Sunday, August 6, 2017

helping out around the farm (with puppies)

My new barn is hosting their annual USEA horse trial this weekend and obviously Brita and I were happy to pitch in for all the preparations.

Riley makes sure we didn't miss any spots on this shadowy ditch
I've volunteered at this show a couple times in the past just as a matter of course. But obviously this year it's been neat to actually be around on the grounds such that I can be available to help out with various tasks.

pup's gotta case the perimeter to make sure we're clear to paint!
Like setting up the dressage courts. Obvi not a particularly complicated task. But somewhat fussy and time consuming. Unless there are lots of ppl. An extra set of hands there is always pretty welcome!

and now it's a tired hot pup in the truck's shadow lol
Then I got to enjoy the time previously spent packing the trailer and hauling Charlie over to OF by instead cruisin around the xc course in my truck with Brita and her puppy Riley.

no pup in this pic, but a good mirror shot of the level of buzzing activity
Just goin through, touching up some jumps - particularly sight and reference lines for the horses - and adding whole new coats of paint to others.

added some highlights to ye olde table
Couldn't have asked for a better day either. Mid 70s (waaaat?), strong breeze, low humidity and high sun. freakin perfect!

pup in water + pre-paint job fence
Turns out xc fences are pretty freakin easy to paint too - it's not like fine art or anything. You just slap the paint on and give it some good coverage.

fence after - much better!
I had already hacked around all the courses the evening prior with Charlie and am really excited by how they look. We'll be jump judging for the event itself today, and then fingers crossed everything goes as it ought in Charlieland over this coming week.

too bad Riley hasn't quite figured out the "retriever" part yet lol
Because the plan is to get out and school it all ourselves next week! Eeeee!! It's been so long since I've schooled xc with the horse, and actually something like a month and a half since he's even been to an event.

It's time haha. Who knows, maybe I'll even traipse out there to try out a few things sometime this week too. Ya know. Bc now I can!

Anyway I can also just feel my general excitement growing about being at the new place. Sure, it's farther from home. And sure my horse got us right out the gate with my biggest worry: a fussy injury (that has basically fully recovered already bc Charlie).

But it's SO COOL to finally actually be at a real event barn. To roll down the drive way and see folks doing real dressage in the ring. Or to see other riders wearing colorful gear and unconventional tack. Or no tack! I hadn't realized how out of place I had felt at the h/j place lol.

And now I'm happy to settle in at the new barn, helping out wherever I can, and hopefully making this barn really truly feel like home for me and Charlie. It's a good feeling!

Hope you all are having a good weekend too - any big horsey plans? Anything going on around the barn? Or is it more of a quiet weekend, folks on vacations and whatnot?

15 comments:

  1. It's SO IMPORTANT to have that homecoming sense at a barn! I'm spoiled because it's my program at my barn so I shape the culture, so.... Haha! Quiet weekend here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea agreed completely on the 'homecoming' feel. it's kinda been slow to develop in me in some ways, since i had never been an owner before last year. and then boarded at a barn that kinda viewed us as a little eccentric, and maybe a little bit as 'outsiders.' so far tho it's nice to feel the opposite now!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like your move is gonna be a perfect fit, even with the longer commute! (which obviously you already knew or you wouldn't have moved, haha, but still awesome!). I hope you and Brita have fun jump judging, and I can't wait to hear about your XC schooling adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hope i have xc schooling adventures to write about soon! but yea the move feels like it's been a good one so far. only time will tell, but isn't that always the way anyway?

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you landed at an amazing place and what amazing amenities especially for someone that can use the cross country course :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omgosh yes it's kinda crazy to me to just see riders randomly popping out and about to school themselves around xc as they see fit. like. how liberating!

      Delete
  4. You found the perfect place it sounds like :) I love painting, I find it super soothing for some reason hah! Looks like you had a nice day for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely super satisfying to see the jumps look so much better - esp the next day when they were all used in competition

      Delete
  5. How I would love to be at an event barn. I'll just stay at my H/J barn and jump some more white poles, blech. It's been forever since I've been on XC also, hope you have fun next week schooling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol i think you've been able to school xc way more recently than i have!! but yea i'm super excited to have such easy access now!

      Delete
  6. I'm so happy for you guys to be at an event barn! I didn't realize your last barn was a h/j barn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sense of community sounds pretty awesome! I'm sure the barn is as lucky to have you as you are to have them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.