Tuesday, August 1, 2017

fun with fences

Do you guys ever get tired of posts that are basically miniature photo albums of screen shots from our latest jump lesson?

I try to write about a broader variety of subjects.... but at it's heart, this blog serves an important role as my record of our training history, education, and progress. So.... especially when there's a lot of media to be had, I catalog basically everything for the sake of posterity haha.

pictured: covering. ground.
And. If I'm being totally 100% completely transparently honest here? I also just reeeeeeally enjoy looking at pictures of my horse looking like a good boy.

wheeeee jompies!
There's not a lot to write about the technical aspects of this latest ride. Charlie was fresh off nearly a full week of vacation while I was in SoCal for work. Plus we had legit just moved into OF about an hour ahead of the lesson.

i love that he's grown quite consistent in his form
Originally my plan was to show up as usual for the lesson - parking in the same place and everything, then just.... never leave haha. But when the forecast called for showers, I decided that trying to convince Charlie it was 'business as usual' was outweighed by my desire to stay under the cover of his new barn roof for saddling up and unpacking the trailer and whatnot.
 
look who's learning to land and turn! 
You already know he settled well - he's traveled a lot with me, so arriving in a new place and saddling up for a ride isn't uncommon. We walked up to the ring with a lesson mate, and it was pretty comical watching Charlie realize as we walked from the barn to the arena that actually he knew where he was --- but just couldn't figure out how he got there lol.

easy over the oxers!
And of course, once we were up at the ring, he was in full on professional lesson mode. Trainer P didn't have us do too much since... ya know... the horse hadn't done anything in a week. But we just went ahead and cruised through the same lines from last week's lesson.

lol but ok, sometimes we still look kinda goofy. you know i can't just cherry pick all the best moments without throwing in some of the .... other moments too lol
Idk if it was the addition of a curb strap to our bridle (omg tho how many fucking straps can I put on this horse's beautiful face?!?), the cooler pleasant weather, or just his general changeable nature as a green horse - but he was an entirely different creature this week from last week.

it's cool tho. we are getting better about being able to *fix* mistakes too! 
Actually kinda standing off a little bit from some of the jumps. Borderline behind my leg - but in a way where it felt kinda nice to put my leg on, and pretty easily doing the adds (even when unplanned haha) down the diagonal lines that had so troubled us the week prior.

ahhhhh i just <3 him so much tho!
Just nice simple smooth repetition. The jumps weren't quite as big as last week, but it hardly mattered. Charlie doesn't seem to care (so long as they aren't too too small bc homeboy's got #norespect).

jump huntin'
We then worked on a couple simple bending exercises - jumping over the in jump of a line, only to loop across the arena instead of going straight and catch another jump - basically inscribing a circle. A couple times I got a little complacent and would let Charlie get strung out or rushy - and it turns out that he's not backed off at all despite not actually knowing where he's going lol.

atta boy, charlie. atta boy.
But the moment I would sit back down again and remember to do my job of telling him where I wanted him to be... he'd just.... do it. Ahhh such a good feeling!


So ya know. It was a jumping lesson where we jumped stuff and had fun. I continue to be very pleased with the horse's development. He's often very different from week to week - but there's still a general trend, a consistency to how he goes. Every week he feels a little more confirmed in what he can 'do.'

And I feel a little more secure in my knowledge of what he needs from me as a rider. Obvi I don't always get it right.... but knowing is half the battle, right?

40 comments:

  1. Awesome! He looks fabulous over those oxers. You sure your not going hunters lol.

    I agree with you about the purpose of the blog. I never by the way tire of reading and oogling over photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol yup - I replied last week but don't know if you saw. When he's got a little more consistency to his pace I'll definitely be taking him in to play with the hunters ;)

      And glad you like the pics too - they're such a great way to keep track!

      Delete
  2. hey i dont get tired of you posting stills as long as you dont get tired of me just scrolling, looking at the pictures and not actually reading what you wrote.

    you couldve just posted those pictures and lorem ipsum and i'd be like SUCH WOW. MUCH INTERNET. SO CHARLES.

    but really, he's looking great. and you're looking great with him and i'm seeing you in the defensive back seat less and less!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such wow, much internet, so Charles!! Ha indeed!!! Lol

    Seriously tho yea it feels like we are gelling. He is learning to stay soft through his body even as he moves forward to the fence, which makes seeing our distances (and trusting them) so much easier for me. Just his general balance improvements really help me stay where I need to be for him. Additionally, getting more reliable brakes (this week we added a curb strap) helps me mentally let go more bc I have more trust that the brakes will be there when I need them. Slowly but surely!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's just so cool to see you both just really enjoying this journey together- you picked a really good partner (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks i'm having a lot of fun with him - he's a very good boy and i feel lucky to have found him!

      Delete
  5. Nope. Don't get tired of Charlie awesomesauce

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is looking so much more adjustable. I lovs all the screen shots--more pictures! I know that feeling and show no mercy in sharing all the pics, because seeing my horse do the thing is... <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha agreed completely - there's something so satisfying (and reassuring!) seeing pictures of our horses doing the thing! also yea the adjustability with charlie is reeeeally coming along

      Delete
  7. Uhhhhhh get tired of Sir Chuckles? How could I? Side note: do you have awesome and willing lesson mates that video for you or do you have some sort of little grippy tripod phone contraption to get the video

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. typically it's my buddy brita who is taking video for me (while i take video for her) - she's very dedicated to making sure this blog has plenty of media fodder! tho lately with my trainer's bum knee situation, we've had more barn rats hanging around the arena as jump crew - and they're typically pretty willing to play videographer too, again bc i will happily return the favor. everybody loves video!

      i do actually have one of those flexible cell phone tripod thingys too, and a blue tooth remote that supposedly works on the phone. i didn't have much luck using that tho bc the blue tooth range was too small, and when i'd get out of range, the camera app on my phone would close. so i'd still have to physically open the app every time i wanted to hit record. the tripod is great tho - it definitely works well (you can find tons for cheap on amazon) and beats trying to set the phone up in a jump cup. i just don't necessarily recommend the blue tooth remote.

      Delete
  8. I know sometimes I'm like "should I really post this photo or is it too much because just because I think it's adorable doesn't mean other people think it's adorable" lol but then I post them anyway because I love them, and I absolutely love all the photos of you and Charlie! I thought he looked so polite and listening over the jumps! You can definitely see how much stronger he's gotten and how confident he is - even if he doesn't know where he's going just like you said lol. But I think that speaks of his trust and assurance in you, and I'm so happy you guys are doing great! Also, he needs to dabble in hunters. SO PRETTY <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea i mean, our blog, our photos, right?? we can do what we want! and i definitely tend to go the route of MOAR PHOTOS NOW PLZ lol. and yea charlie's definitely getting way more confident and comfortable over fences. he's always been pretty confident - but in the kinda clueless-but-doesn't-realize-he's-clueless kinda way. now tho he actually *does* have a clue and it's pretty nice to ride!

      Delete
  9. First off- I love all your media! It's one of the things that makes your blog one of my favorite reads. It can be hard to stay interested and engaged in other people's "progress" posts when they are always descriptions and never have any actual riding media. All of your pics makes me feel like I know you and Charlie, and more invested in how you're progressing, which, is amazing! I really can see the difference between this last and your last. He looks way more chill in a good way to most of the jumps. I also love the feeling of being able to add leg.

    <3 Kelly @HunkyHanoverian.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thanks - i'm happy to hear that! and agreed that it's a lot easier to stay engaged and follow along when there's visual evidence of what's actually happening. and esp when it comes to charlie - looking back at the pictures and videos really helps me pinpoint what, exactly, is happening. it's useful!

      Delete
  10. There's no such thing as too many Charlie photos! This blog is for YOU first, but I love following along with your journey! You guys are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girl, pictures are the best part. And I know what you mean, now that I have a horse that's 20 mins away and I'm there everyday. I'm actually behind in the picture sharing department which is nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooooh yay i love to hear that! pictures are the best <3 we need more of Dante!!

      Delete
  12. More photos!! You are lucky to get so many. I'm using scraping the bottom of the barrel to get any media on my posts. Charlie looks like completely different horse over fences than when you got him. Its a lot of progress! Go Charlie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg yea he's really come a long way in his education over fences - esp from, ya know, actually falling on his face when he first started! one of these days i'll get around to doing a true progression post lol

      Delete
  13. He's looking great. Like her really likes jumping and wants to do it. It's so nice when they get to that stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks - it really is so nice. i love that he seems to enjoy the job and is ready and eager for challenges

      Delete
  14. Haha when I write posts, 90% of the time I just upload the latest photos I like looking at and then write them into something hopefully coherent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol basically. like, 'here are all my pictures and i guess some words too!"

      Delete
    2. Basically this. Most of the time anyway hahaha.

      Delete
  15. Dude. Charlie is looking like a totally different horse from a couple months ago!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. right???? it's so freakin exciting - he's such a quick learner combined with his 'no fucks given' attitude, it's been really easy to bring him along just by pure repetition and consistency

      Delete
  16. I am down for more Handsome Horse Jump Recaps. It's all these positive repetitions we need to solidify skills and make future progress. I need more of them myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. positive repetitions solidifying future progress. yessssss. that's something i can believe in!

      Delete
  17. I also love all the pictures and you guys are looking great. Charles is beautiful by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks - i happen to agree that he's super handsome :D

      Delete
  18. Never tired of pictures!! Good boy Charlie :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looking good! I always love lots of photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bravo my lady - you guys are looking better and better!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.