Thursday, May 9, 2024

merry-go-round

So I had a whole bunch of big plans leading up to another show this weekend... But with Doozy getting kicked and missing some rides from that (and also from me being out of town... and also from, on occasion, having other things going on in life... you know how it goes), things are kinda up in the air now. C'est la vie, amirite?

hangin out at the trailer like the most civilized creature while Amy + Punky had their lesson first
Ambiguity and fluidity are new friends to me, and... honestly, I'm appreciating just enjoying my horse on a day by day basis. On this day, that enjoyment took the form of another eagerly awaited dressage lesson with Trainer C -- intended as show prep but still independently delightful!

"cookies pls!"
There's an actual metric buttload of video footage... But, eh. It looks a lot like a green TB trotting around inverted, weak, hollow and counter-bent while her rider fumbles around trying to put all the pieces together. To me? Glorious! To the average viewer tho? Well. You know... LOL....

fair warning --- i cherry picked only the best moments from legit endless footage of my untrained racehorse twirling around like a dervish
So I did everybody the favor of parsing through all that footage frame by frame to find the little moments where pieces clicked together, where one or both of us had a little "aha!" or gave a big try. In other words, pics today aren't exactly "representative" of the ride, but rather little "dots" that eventually I want to be able to connect into a bigger future picture.

when slanty walls attack!
And guys, it was a good lesson. Like, really getting back to our roots here. This arena has such good juju, Trainer C has been such a supportive and positive coach over the years (since 2015 omg!), and Doozy and I are really feeling like a proper team. 

sorta kinda tryna leg yield
It's a relief, in a way, too. I cringe at so many photos of me riding these days bc I feel sloppy and slouchy and all over the place... And ya know, I am.... Bc that's just the reality of having to come back from a period of protracted downtime. Skills, strengths, abilities... They're only ever really on loan, ya know? We don't "own" them. Use it or lose it, right?

"ohhhhh bennnnd" -- doozy, figuring things out
That's where the video is so helpful, too, tho. Like I can only realistically keep track of mayyybe one or two body parts at a time when I'm riding. 

Given enough routine consistent coaching, eventually all the various bits and bobs fall in line.. but right now? Good lord, if I'm focusing on one hand, the other is probably wafting out into the stratosphere. If my mind is on keeping my inside leg draped down long like the pole in a carousel horse... my outside leg is likely stuck straight out ahead of me like some kind of brace. 
 
proof that even this monkey of a rider can eventually write shakespeare, if only briefly
Doozy, meanwhile, is legitimately always counter-bent. Like. Wayyyyy more than I realized. And honestly, I think it's bc of how I try to slow her down -- that I try to hold her out. But seeing it in this lesson, paired with Trainer C's coaching, really made it plain. 

canter transitions!
Trainer C wants me to constantly be thinking about bringing Doozy's nose in, while keeping my outside hand low -- as if to invite her outside shoulder to stay out and upright. I should be always aiming for a sorta "leg yield" feel, without being afraid of putting my inside leg on to not leg Doozy's rib cage push inward.

trotting diagonals without bolting off into the sunset
We practiced some very basic figure work -- first trotting circles in the ends of the arena focusing on bringing the nose in, slowing down the trot. Then we'd go up the long side along the "second track" (about 8' off the wall, so kinda halfway to the quarter line) and try to gently glide back toward the wall with an "out and over, out and over, nose slightly in, body out" type feeling. Not exactly a leg yield, but working on that feeling.

probably did the most trotting of our lives in this lesson lol... step one to making the trot better is actually trotting at all
We found that smaller circles (15m or even smaller still) helped in the ends of the arena, esp when I tried to channel the spiral work we've been practicing. And obvi trying to keep the pace steady and not rushed --- thinking of telling Doozy, "wait!" then relax, "wait!" then relax, again and again to help her sort of understand the beginnings of a 'half halt.'

and another canter transition!
Doozy, for her part, was a superstar. I legit wish I'd tinkered around with her bridle way sooner, bc this flash strap is making a huge difference. Trainer C actually said she starts all her babies in a flash -- bc it's easier to start with "this is a normal part of the bridle!" that can be discarded if unnecessary, vs having to add it in later. In retrospect, I wish I'd done the same -- bc I can be a lot softer now with my hands and we both like that!

pretty pleased with this pony
(no idea why i look like an illustration from an airplane safety instructions booklet here... but it's a cute pic anyway!)
Separate from the bridle, tho, Doozy was just... again, really good. She tried so hard in this lesson. Legit trotted for about 7 goddamn minutes straight at one point (I know bc it's all on video) without trying to break into canter once. Like.. wow. Good girl! 

It was hot and humid and we were both sweaty and puffing (and I may or may not have almost damn near fallen on my ass when I dismounted LOL), but she tried the whole time. Doozy has a "tell" when she's getting worked up and tense, where she sorta whistles and groans and holds her breath... Like a cartoon bomb about to drop... But she didn't go there once this whole lesson. Just stayed present and responsive, in her own red way. 

good girl, dooz!
For me, this is the good stuff -- and I'm so excited to keep growing and developing with this special little mare <3 <3


10 comments:

  1. Great job to both of you!! Interesting to hear about the origins of her counter bend, I also struggle with that, needing enough outside rein to turn successfully but not so much I counter bend him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea honestly so much of our issues right now have to do with being able to slow down LOL, I don’t know what I’m going to do when the horse just like… trots in a steady rhythm haha .. probably will have to start all over with the training!

      Delete
  2. Those are some really pretty moments! I am so proud of her "try" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! I was so pleased with her this ride too!! Such a good mare :)

      Delete
  3. "Skills, strengths, abilities... They're only ever really on loan, ya know? We don't "own" them." <- I love this! I've never thought of it quite like that but it's true and a really good thing to remember, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i can't remember where i originally heard or read that phrase... and it might have originally been something along the lines of "confidence is only ever on loan," but it really stuck with me too! and it's a really helpful way for me to kinda give myself some grace despite struggling a bit with things i technically should "know how" to do...

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a fantastic lesson! I'm guessing the overbending might also be coming from wanting to keep her on that outside rein. So the intention is good! Looks like you're on the right path to correcting the bend though. She's such a smart mare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha i'm willing to believe that all our terrible habits are rooted in good intentions lol!! feels good to start working on them anyway tho, that's for sure!!

      Delete
  5. It sounds like a great lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great lesson in the books! So fun to keep learning and growing with our horses, right?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.