Monday, October 9, 2023

normalized chaos

Doozy's been with us now for exactly two months, and it's been way more of an up-and-down process than I expected. Maybe I just like... forgot the early days with Charlie, or blocked them from memory? 

Or, possibly more likely, the conditions in which Mondeuse and I are trying to 'get going' are just very different. She's obviously a very different horse. Much more forward thinking --- which I want, even if it means I need to develop some new skills and techniques to accommodate. But also our environment is very different. 

Charlie lived inside the indoor arena at his first farm. The space between saying "Hello!" to Charlie, and actually getting to the riding place... could be measured in feet. Compare to about a quarter mile walk where we are now.

'what did you expect when you called me Doozy anyway?' -- mondeuse, chaos agent
And Doozy also just... Has some weird associations. I've already mentioned that she's... not totally on board with "arenas." Even walking in hand, she arrives, and basically immediately decides that, "yea ok but let's leave like, now."

The other night on our routine hand walk, I tried to wait her out... Like, it doesn't seem likely that she can get away from me, and I'm happy to take my time... But I dunno. Maybe I'm just not patient enough, bc... It honestly really didn't work, and I started worrying that we were only reinforcing the negative associations? I dunno lol. 

being such a good girl in the indoor! maybe next time i'll dust off the mirrors lol
Really, we just need to get under saddle and do things. Which, ya know, requires her to be sound. Last time I tried to do a purposeful under saddle ride (#10 for those keeping track at home) was about a week ago, and she was still pretty crippled - presumably from the recent abscess. Vet advised me to be more patient and give her another week or two... Which, sure, can do. 

So we went out for another try more recently (#13, after a few low key 'sits' focusing on other things)... and.... Guys, it was good. It was exactly the ride I needed from her. 

obstacles!!! we did not do the x-rail, but did passes over the ground pole between standards at the far end
It checked a few boxes off the list:

First and foremost, it was the first time I used a 'normal' mounting block with zero assistance (I was alone, tho my friend down in the barn had a timer set for checking on me if need be lol). And she continued her trend of being shockingly excellent at this somewhat vulnerable and risky operation that, imo, a lot of people take for granted. 

Secondly, the ring was occupied when we arrived, with a person finishing up a ground work session who then left before we got on. And that was all ok too. To me, these are immense steps in establishing our independence, vs relying on favors, good will, or help to get our work done. 

Thirdly, this is the first ride where I felt like... we rode. Which might sound stupid bc I've had the horse for 2 months and have been sitting on her for as regularly as her soundness allowed... 

post-ride pic, but basically a reenactment of her being a very good girl at the mounting block
But ya know, most of those early rides were sorta feeling each other out, seeing what she'd do, how she'd be. Or like, all that hacking out we've done --- just letting her be peaceful in a group of nice horses without really messing with her. 

In this ride, tho, esp given the fuckery of trying to get stuff done with hand walking, I wanted to push a little more. Mostly me - be more accountable for steering, corners, figures, straightness. Making sure I'm actually telling Doozy how I want her to be. Pilot, not passenger, right?

guys she has the prettiest face, but is always like, mid-expression when i take a picture. always.
I also wanted Doozy to feel like she "worked" too. And, granted, I'm not convinced her soundness is 100% yet, but she was fine enough for a few sessions of trotting on good footing. And ya know, if that's not fine, that tells us something too, right? 

So anyway, it felt like tracking left was quieter for her this ride, tracking right she was a bit more shy of the wall. We walked and trotted over a bunch of ground poles, including two that were more or less in a line. Was a nice opportunity to get a better feel for how to ride her straight from the shoulders. 

I practiced more transitions too. Like, not much haha, just more. And it honestly felt like Doozy started to get the picture of, ya know, if we're trotting around, it's bc... I just want you to trot around. That's it, actually. 

Finally, she experienced a little more exposure to arena obstacles -- ground poles, standards, jumps, a barrel... None of it mattered. And she was totally comfortable going over a ground rail between two standards. Nice! 

T.T. presents a trial saddle, bc good girls get their own equipment, eventually
Honestly, it felt like a normal walk trot ride with a green horse. Felt like exactly the type of ride I know I can build from, if only we could just do this more. 

Most interesting little take away was that... I dismounted inside the ring after being satisfied with our accomplishments for the day, told her she was wonderful, loosened the girth and ran up the stirrups, all that... Then out we went for the quarter mile walk down to the barn. 

And here's what really reaffirmed some of my suspicions --- she was great for this walk. My sense is that she's really anticipatory of impending "work." After even an easy ride and dismount, she understood the "work" was over. But on our hand walks, she's never really sure. I see that as a fixable issue, but in the meantime, really wanna prioritize the riding haha. 

the angles on this pic are a bit skewed (like, you can't see her neck well lol), but she is really filling out!!
So. All good things. At least, on this day LOL. If she's teaching me one thing -- it's to just take each day as it comes. Tho... Well, our local consignment tack shop had their version of a "Little Tent Sale" this weekend, and I decided that maybe Doozy did deserve a few new purchases after all. Details to come!


11 comments:

  1. I'm seriously impressed that she was chill with being left all alone in the indoor. Thunderbird would have launched my butt lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha so this is gonna sound funny (or stupid), but i think the only reason doozy was ok with the horse leaving was bc he exited thru the middle door back into the barn that's under the same roof on the other side of the wall. so basically .... doozy's never been thru that door before, and maybe didn't even recognize it AS an exit, so the horse didn't "leave" per se, so much as he just sorta, vanished LOL...

      Delete
    2. Ha Ha. I had to take Olive through the middle door into the barn, because she was totally freaked out about horses just sorta vanishing. She still doesn't like it, but she's better now that she understands it.

      Delete
    3. ha! that's too funny... charlie loves the little doorway, he's so curious about this magical portal that randomly spits out and eats up horses, always wants to stick his head through and see what's going up on the other side LOL

      Delete
  2. Lmao I love that picture of Doozy without a neck 😂

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me a lot of a lesson I had on Goggles where JT kept telling me I had to place him where I wanted him. Like we don't want to have to micro manage, but when they don't know straight means straight and that the tempo is supposed to stay the same, they really do have to be told each stride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea that's basically exactly what i'm trying to tell myself too lol.... like, the horse just doesn't know what i want unless i tell her! and, turns out, she's actually a bit more confident when she realizes she can rely on my for steady direction... gooooo figure lol. still, tho, it's exciting to log some rides where we can start to see a horse that might be ready to cope with a lesson format soon!

      Delete
  4. Getting on by yourself at the mounting block is a great accomplishment!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for a great ride! And that makes a lot of sense about her anticipating the work. Especially for a horse whose previous job was pretty high intensity.
    She looks great! Maybe that time off was good for something at least! (Putting on the pounds.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once the soundness is sorted she and you are going to blossom

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.