Thursday, August 10, 2023

She's a Doozy

It's funny looking back at my process of introducing Charlie to you all here. I didn't even breathe a word about horse shopping, let alone that I'd found one, until he'd already been home for a few days, settled in, and I'd had my first ride. 

Mondeuse, aka Doozy
Maybe I was superstitious? Doubting myself? Afraid to jinx it?? Who knows. It all worked out, tho. And to be completely honest... I still feel all those same feelings now, too: doubt, insecurity, uncertainty... Bc let's be real.... This animal is the exact definition of an "Unknown Quantity."

But she's mine, now. And she's home. So let's enjoy this new journey in real time, yes?

obligatory adoption pic <3 <3
I was already scheduled to volunteer at Fair Hill to help set up the show jumping course, and since the adoption facility is right down the road, it made sense to make it a two-fer. So I brought my trailer up to Fair Hill, spent a few hours volunteering, then swung by ATR on the way home to grab the mare and tie up any loose ends. 

big star meets little star!!
She loaded onto the trailer a little tentatively -- with a few pauses, but no backward movement. Travelled quietly, then took a little reassurance to back off the trailer once home -- but didn't rush or zoom or anything. Basically a solid foundation, but in need of just a little polishing a la my favorite horsemanship pro! 

her coat is actually in better condition than i was expecting
She was pretty up and strong once unloaded, tho. Really wanted to just keep moving forward, in whatever direction we happened to be facing. But also a little nervous about it. 

she did a few laps after coming off the trailer, this was the max wild tho
Rather than get into a tug of war with her, I took her into the paddock for a little more hand walking just to make sure we were on the same page and she wasn't going to totally explode if let loose... Then released her. 

fly your flag, lady!
I figure, we'll get to know each other in steps -- I'd rather she knows that I'm her person -- her rock --  before we end up in a situation where I have no choice but to get strong myself, ya know? So we'll work on the trust building and manners simultaneously, step by step. 

was also happy to hang out and eat sticks tho
(srsly, look closely lol, and yes that's a fresh flake of hay behind her)
She did a couple laps in the paddock then basically just came over to where I was hangin out chatting with friends to chill and exist. Like, still a little busy, but generally interested. Checked out the water barrels, played with a stick.... whinnied at the neighbors, and chewed through the flake of hay I threw her. 

just doin normal horse things
Mondeuse is remarkably sociable. She wants to hang out with you, wants to be friends, and seems to really appreciate praise and general chit chat. 

first grooming session was a success, tho i was also careful to not let my quarter run out
I threw her in a stall for an hour or so to eat dinner and decompress while we fed and turned out the rest of the horses. She was a little noisy about the commotion, but not frantic or agitated in the stall. And obvi we were careful to instantly replace her last remaining neighbor with a horse who overnights inside so she was never completely alone. 
 
she met the boss too <3
After chores were done, I pulled her out for a first grooming session. She was already walking much more politely by this point -- I guess the adrenaline of travel and a new place had worn off. She did well on the cross ties too. I suspected she would, given all of the baths and treatments she's received for her various coat issues... But ya just never know, ya know?

started getting familiar with all her weird beauty marks LOL, like this bizarre cheek whisker
She was also solid for the grooming. Thought the Coat Defense sprinkles felt a little funny, and still seems maybe a bit sore from the rainrot on her haunches... But basically let me touch everywhere and do everything. Her coat needs a LOT of work, but again, we'll do that in stages. 

embarked on a little chemical healing
She was super about handling all her legs, applying various schmoos and tinctures and tonics etc... And I was careful to not push anything too far. Kinda wanted to wrap up the session before my quarter ran out, ya know? Like, let's leave a nickel in the bank for now, yes? 

spent a long time just hangin out staring at her, getting to know her
So we'll leave the rest for another day. Like trying tack on her lol. I seriously doubt Charlie's fancy French monoflap will fit her, but we'll at least put it on to see how it looks. A bunch of friends (including Royal's people, given the resemblance between the two horses) have also offered their saddles for evaluation. And I'm hoping at least one of Charlie's bridles will fit. Fingers crossed lol.

looking forward to getting to know this personality!
The next few days will unfold in slightly different ways. All our paddocks are currently full during evening turnout, so Dooz will probably be stalled overnight and out during the day for at least the first little bit. Then she'll start introductions with the other mares, hopefully. And hopefully that will be uneventful (fingers crossed...). 

welcome home, Dooz!
I also hope to start incorporating significant hand walks in the coming days. She'll need to be introduced to the long stretches of driveway and various pathways up to the arenas before I can think about riding. It was easier with Charlie since his stall was literally inside the indoor ring LOL. Oh well, tho, it'll all shake out. 

She doesn't seem particularly food motivated yet, so hand grazing may or may not be as useful as it was with Charlie. We'll see, tho. Not gonna lie, it might be a problem for some of my techniques if she ends up not liking treats that much!! Haha... hahaha....

For real, tho, we'll see how it all goes. One day at a time. I might not write about every day (or maybe I will?) but will hopefully be taking lots of pictures lol.



38 comments:

  1. Girl she is HUGE!!! I love her <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol i literally have no sense for size any more, after so many years with gigantic Charles... legit was kinda worried she might end up being too small.... we estimate tho with the massive wither that she's right around 16.1hh

      Delete
  2. What a delightful, sensible girl!!! So awesome that she is wanting to spend time with you already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so far her disposition is proving to be exactly as i'd hoped --- sensible enough to understand giving to pressure, but maybe not quite as meek as i worried. some groceries might help there too!

      Delete
  3. Welcome home baby! Can't wait to see how she settles in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. meeee tooo.... not loving having to go 24hrs between every visit right now LOL ;)

      Delete
  4. I love her already, and Olive has that same cheek whisker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm pretty smitten too, not gonna lie :D and that cheek whisker is SO WEIRD omg, she has one in her arm pit too lol.... not very ladylike!!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! Hope you both have a great first week together. Are her short mane and tall related to her skin condition struggles? She sure is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you!! :D her mane has definitely been pulled, so that's why it looks a little thin and short, but it seems to be healthy and in good condition. her tail tho... yea, it needs a little help lol. we learned yesterday tho that she enjoys having her tail scritched and fussed with, so hopefully we can get the skin into better condition. once the flies die down in the fall, we'll probably dock the tail to about her hocks, and let it grow back out over the winter. at least, that's the idea for now!

      Delete
  6. Congrats!! Welcome home Dooz!!! She doesn't know how lucky she is yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha thank you! and i'm so so so hopeful that she figures out pretty quickly that she's landed into a situation with a whole bunch of people really rooting for her, and having her back. hopefully the mare group handles her introduction accordingly too lol....

      Delete
  7. Yay! I'm so glad she's home ❤️ I hadn't even considered the nightmare that is finding a saddle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeeeeeahhhhhh basically none of charlie's equipment is likely to fit her haha. even tho she isn't exactly short, she's much more finely boned than the big guy lol, it's going to take some getting used to on my end! at least one silver lining -- while she does have a giant wither, the actual area for saddle placement looks pretty reasonably standard, so she hopefully won't be a difficult fit.

      Delete
  8. I take a little over a week off and boom, a new red mare! I love it, I can't wait to see her develop and flourish. I know ALLLL about the struggles of keeping our main one comfy, hopefully this allows you to really grow and develop. I am really excited to see how you two progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! i'm really hopeful too, on basically all counts -- charlie staying sound, doozy developing into a future partner.... all the things lol

      Delete
  9. A new horse is*so* exciting! Until you realize... Saddles, bits, bridles, blankets, oh my!!! Nothing I own fits! Lol Seriously tho, so excited for you and to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lolol the dreaded B-word (blankets haha)….. I’m still a little bit in denial about the full scale of accoutrements she will require, not gonna lie!! Reeeeally hoping I already have a bridle that will work tho - one of my favorites that Charlie rarely wears anymore bc he’s primarily bitless. Pretty confident I have bits that’ll work, at least. Just based on how strong she came off the trailer yesterday I’m not too too worried that she’ll need something super delicate like a nathe. Tho ya know. I could be wrong there too LOL 😂

      Delete
  10. Welcome Dooz! I look forward to seeing you two get to know each other and work together! Good luck with bridle fitting- She's huge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks!! it's so funny, i worked with her tonight after first riding charlie, and kept feeling like, 'wow she's so little' bc in comparison... everything is smaller than charles lol! just gotta keep telling myself that she's a totally fine appropriate size

      Delete
    2. Lol she LOOKS huge, but then again I haven't seen her next to Charlie 😂 I also don't have much experience with real horses- most of my knowledge is with model horses. I mean, I have read all of the horse books in my local library, but that isn't quite the same

      Delete
    3. that's awesome tho! i didn't grow up with horses or anything either, so started my hobby in a similar way -- with grand champion models and lots and LOTS of books! they are truly wonderful animals to be around tho, i'm so grateful to have them now! and yes omg it is 100% in the plans to get Dooz and Charlie next to each other in a picture haha, so stay tuned for that!

      Delete
    4. Will do 😃

      Delete
  11. She's HOME!!!!!!! Yay! Congrats again!
    Doozy sounds so sensible and I think you're going to have so much fun with her. Even if you might have to saddle shop (ugh). That aside, so exciting, and I'm glad her coat isn't as bad as you expected!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you!! i'm so happy to have her home too, and happier that her skin isn't quite as rough as i worried, and happiest that so far she seems to enjoy being fussed over! saddle shopping will probably be no fun, but who knows, maybe i'll get lucky. still haven't tried anything on her yet, but that'll probably happen this weekend :)

      Delete
  12. Just think how many times you'll get to saddle and blanket shop tho as her body changes and develops! Never ending shopping!!! (I tried to make that sound like positive thing, idk if it worked 🤣)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. errrrrr, you tried??? LOL... for real, tho, she's probably going to end up with some second hand blankets at least for the first winter, for exactly that reason.... and i'm trying to keep all that in mind while looking at saddles too bc while i'd loooooove another french monoflap (drool), it's probably not super practical yet.... we shall see tho!

      Delete
  13. Welcome home! She’s a lovely mover. I can’t wait to see her develop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, i'm excited too! she's going to be very different for me than charlie was, i think, but i'm optimistic!

      Delete
  14. How exciting!! She looks so much like Hero in a few angles/ pictures, I already love her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's so funny, Hero always reminded me of a few special horses for my friends - Wick, primarily, but also a little bit Royal. And Doozy reminds me a lot of Royal... regardless, if she ends up being half the horse Hero has been, i'll be THRILLED!

      Delete
  15. This is so exciting! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh you got her from ATR! I follow them on FB and thought I recognized the adoption photo in front of the barn. Can't wait to see/read more about her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh cool that you follow them, that's where i got Charlie too, i'm a huge fan of their program and generally feel really confident adopting horses from them!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.