Saturday, January 29, 2022

the hunt is on

I'm not gonna bore you all with a long backstory on why it's been so difficult to get jumping lessons, and how long its been since we were in a regular program. Suffice it to say, it's been difficult. And it's been a long time. 

On one hand, I am *so. over. it.*

On the other hand.... Good lord, anybody who's been hangin around these parts long enough knows I've been shipping out for lessons for years at this point. And it can be such a freakin hustle. So exhausting. I legit thought those days would be mostly behind us by moving Charlie to the farm where he lives now -- but ya know, things change and such. 

actually shipped him tacked (under the blanket) since it was a 15min trailer ride and cold AF outside
But I *do* want jumping lessons. For a few key reasons, some of which might be simpler than you'd think. 

Mostly, having a coach there produces an automatic accountability structure. If I'm paying for somebody's time and counsel, I better be, myself, prepared and ready for it, and stepping up to the plate. Secondly, it kinda just ensures that we *do* it. 

Bc --- I already know my own solo schooling sessions can be a tad underwhelming. I'm not always motivated to dismount to reset heights, distances, or jump configurations. And even then, once we get going, without somebody there reminding me about niceties like balance and impulsion and connection etc, holding me accountable, it often takes a couple unimpressive efforts and/or mistakes for me to get my ass in gear. 

turned out to be a good choice since he was kinda high as a kite coming off the trailer, didn't want to stand still at all
Plus. Ya know. I'd like to get better haha. Like. Yea sure, Charlie has demonstrated beyond any shred of a doubt he can cart my ass around pretty decently even as our combined technique has grown rough and dusty from lack of coaching. But, I also probably don't have to convince you that it could be better lol. 

I honestly don't really need much from a coaching relationship, tho. Convenience factors 100% play an oversize role in my selection process over other qualities. True story: I'm not driving 1.5hrs each way to ride with Sally up at Kealani whenever she's in town. Even tho they're great lessons, it's just not sustainable for me, or for Charlie. 

I want convenient location, predictable schedules, and prices accessible enough that it's not too hard to convince another barn mate to fill the second trailer spot. Plus, ideally, somebody who might be invested/available enough to coach at bigger shows too. So I've had my eyes and ears open for the last couple years for potential fits.  

majestic pony <3 and omg i actually brushed his mane for once.... trying to get brownie points on that whole "first impressions" thing....
A couple weeks ago, I learned of a trainer new to the area and working to build out her clientele. She's on the younger side, but has an impressive enough CV -- having trained with some of the most recognizable names in eventing and show jumping. She also has the distinction of taking the same horse from upper level eventing to grand prix show jumping, and keeping that same horse sound enough that he's still going now even into his late teens. 

There's a saying that you should "learn from people whose horses grow old." In other words, we should value a training approach that doesn't use the horse up, but focuses on longevity, rather than "flash in the pan" bursts of glory that aren't sustainable or repeatable. Given Charlie's high-mileage and somewhat delicate constitution, this is obviously appealing to me. 

simple jump configuration allowed for versatile track options, while also giving the new coach ample opportunity to observe how i accomplish things like.... steering, and balance, etc etc etc
So we had our first lesson together last week. Being new to the area and without a farm of her own, this trainer is all aboard that same hustle-bus I've been riding since the Isabel days: trying to find rentable indoors in wintertime. Dammit if she didn't hustle tho, working her butt off to secure a convenient location after our original plans fell through. 

This first lesson also ended up being a private. It may be in the future I'll get other barn mates to join me, or she'll have other students to form a group. But eh, it's always nice to get 1:1 introductions anyway. 

lol charlie thought it was all very much beneath his dignity, but was, of course, foot perfect
From the point of an actual lesson, I don't set a high bar for the "first time." Esp in this instance where I'd ideally like to form a long term relationship vs say, a clinic-style experience with packaged nuggets of wisdom to take home.... It feels like the new trainer kinda has to learn more about us first before we can really learn from her. Does that make sense? 

So she put us through our paces on the flat, observed how we go, asked questions about what's normal for us, and expounded on her own training philosophies. Then she put us over a series of patterns with very small fences (diagrammed above), explaining what she looks for in putting the track together, and common pitfalls she often sees in her own students. 

MIKEY! 
My impression is, well, she's younger and probably generally newer to the teaching side of things. But she seemed to have a good eye, and seemed to get a pretty good read on Charlie by the end of the ride. 

Charlie can be a little tricky in that regard bc, as you all know perfectly well, he's a multi-faceted creature lol. And in this ride, he was on his best "school boy" behavior -- not hot or up like at a show, but not bored and sluggish like he can be at home. He was very workmanlike, and took perfectly even steps to every single little jump. 

Tho, of course, Charlie made sure *I* understood he wasn't particularly inspired, haha. The trainer noted he had his ears pinned on me the whole time around, practically daring me to somehow mess him up haha. Except when one of the little jumps went up to something like 2'3 (the blue and yellow vertical behind Charlie in the above pic) -- for that one he finally perked up and had a little fun with it lol. 

he takes his role as barn manager very seriously, and came over to inspect my work on mucking out the trailer after we got home <3
So it was hopefully a pretty instructive observation opportunity for this new trainer. Apparently her own horse is pretty similar in attitude to Charlie, so maybe that'll give her good insights into how to plan exercises for him. 

And in the meantime, I appreciated her focus on the flatwork. It isn't exactly the same flavor as what Charlie and I do with more "purist" dressage-y folks, but that's ok too bc the intention is basically the same: be able to move the horse around, move his quarters around, adjust his balance nose to tail, side to side, etc etc etc. 

We'll see what happens, ya know? I'm too familiar with the hustle of securing rentable rings while juggling schedules etc to make any predictions. And at a certain point, I'll need to see real value and return on time investment to justify continuing. But idk, my gut reaction is pretty positive, and I'm inclined to go a little ways down this road with this new person to see where it leads haha. 

Evaluating a new training relationship is so complicated, there are so many considerations.... And I know what I've outlined as priorities above haven't always been my top priorities in the past. And might not be what you'd prioritize either. Curious if there's anything I didn't touch on that would be make-or-break criteria for you?



13 comments:

  1. Starting with a new coach is kinda like dating- the first few tell the story. 😁 I like some who’s always trying to learn, both in training and in teaching. Because the two are not synonymous. I need a person who does just say ‘collect more’ over and over but one who breaks it down for me into actual specifics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg it really is like dating, in a weird way haha.... ugh lol! it's crazy tho, sometimes i need micro, and other times i want macro. not sure exactly what i want right now, except that if a coach is gonna be "micro" they better be good at it, otherwise i'd like them to stick to the "macro" lane lol

      Delete
  2. Exciting to connect with someone who might be a good fit!! Fingers crossed this keeps working out well. Obviously I totally sympathize with the hauling stresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hauling is such a hassle lol.... which obvi you know perfectly well. my horse seems pretty comfortable with it all when i can arrange for him to have a friend in there, but that's just one extra layer of planning for me!

      Delete
  3. Finding a trainer around here is shockingly difficult. If I learned anything from my equine death spiral, it was that I needed someone that accepted my basic personality (giant chicken shit) and could build on my current riding style/skills. I feel like I went from trainer to trainer with vastly different styles to the point that I felt like I wasn't doing ANYTHING right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dude for real, tho! i was legit shocked when i first started looking for training around here after coming home from school. i've gone through iterations with thinking it's easier if you have your own horse, or easier if you're looking for an existing structure.... easier to ship out, or easier to bring in..... and, ya know, it turns out, nothing is quite easy. idk why tho????

      Delete
  4. I hope this works out for you! I agree, trying to ride with someone 1.5 hours away isn't very sustainable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'd love to just get coached at my own farm, if we're being completely honest!

      Delete
  5. Ugh, don't get me started on the new coach process . . . Glad it seems like a good fit at the moment. Always nice to see that there's new blood in the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this area is so rich in talent.... but actually, i'm kinda excited about this prospect!

      Delete
  6. I travel 2.5 hours ONE WAY to ride with my current coach. We unfortunately live in an area that is really lacking in good jumping/eventing coaches (a few to choose from, but none whose programs I like/fit with). It's definitely a struggle and I don't get as many lessons as I would like, but for me the quality of the training is most important right now. I've made so much more progress since I started riding with her than I ever did riding with local trainers. And she's someone that I would trust to put on my horse and get them around an event, which is something I know I will need in the future as I move up my young horse. I do occasionally take a "filler" lesson with a local trainer though if I feel like I need more jump time and can't take PTO to make it to my main trainer (she also doesn't teach on weekends, ugh).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope it works out! I agree, convenience is so necessary when you're juggling a job and a horse. Is she not allowed to come to your farm?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like that saying, it's a kin to some thoughts I've been mulling around in my head and iterated often on with my friend A the last month I was with her.

    Finding good quality, affordable and convenient training is hard, as you know. And as we learn more our expectations change, as our horse's change, our needs change. I've been realizing more and more as I traverse this road that a lot of thing 'make or break' stuff doesn't even come up early in the relationship but usually later as needs change. Or maybe I'm just slow on the uptake lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.