Saturday, April 21, 2018

Charlie made US Eventing's front page!!

Thanks everyone who sent me the heads up about Charlie's unexpected stint as cover model for US Eventing's latest podcast (on the value and importance of starter trials in the eventing community - you should totally check it out here! Presenters include Carolyn Mackintosh of Loch Moy and Marc Donovan of the War Horse Event Series.).

There's exactly zero chance I would have seen it otherwise, so I seriously appreciate it!

screenshot of useventing.com from Friday
Charlie looks like such a freakin prince in this shot by GRC Photography and I'm just a bit overwhelmed with pride that US Eventing chose to use it. I had submitted it to the Loch Moy folks after they asked for pictures, and USEA picked it up from them.

As you all know, this particular cross country run for us at Loch Moy last month wasn't without difficulties and challenges. But this moment right here, and the feeling Charlie gave me during that moment, are really what it's all about. We're green and we make mistakes, but this horse has got it in him to just be straight up magnificent.

gif version of the jump. dem knees tho!!
full helmet cam video here icymi
I feel so lucky that the quiet, kind OTTB I found a year and a half ago - my first ever horse! - has blossomed into such a beautiful and talented event horse.

And I feel even more lucky that Maryland's eventing community has so many awesome venues like Loch Moy to host these excellent starter trials. Without them, there's no way I could have gotten so many experiences as an eventing newbie with limited resources.

So. Ya know. Seeing Charlie's picture on US Eventing's front page, even just briefly, just filled me with pride and gratitude. My inner 12yo is walking on air. And yes, I totally emailed all his former racing connections (trainer, owners, all of 'em) with the link haha. I figured this was reasonable enough material for my bi-annual update on the pony ;)

Charlie's definitely getting extra carrots today :) Especially as our big plans for the day include heading out to Fair Hill for a relaxing hack through the park with Michele and Sarah for a farewell sendoff before Michele leaves us for Tennessee. Should be a good day!

Hope you are all having great weekends too!

41 comments:

  1. That is a great photo! I love that they chose that one! And wow he does go fast I could only watch a second of that video LOL...felt a little dizzy. SEE YOU SOON!! YAYAYAYAYAY :) I have to get to the barn early to shed Remus I had so much hair on my yesterday coming home i looked like a yeti :)

    I have gotten away from podcasts the last few years I need to add them back to my life I think :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I can’t wait to see you soon too! Looks like it’s going to be a gorgeous day!!

      Delete
  2. Congrats! That picture is stunning. Have a fun ride this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOWZA that is so incredible! Couldn't have happened to a hard working pair. So so happy for you a Charlie, what a cool thing to ga e your picture chosen like that, just awesome!

    ❤ Kelly @ HunkyHano

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, it feels really ridiculously flattering haha, but then again i'm pretty happy to be the poster child for unrecognized starter trials lol

      Delete
  4. And you're still there! :D You guys look like you're having so much fun in that picture, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks it was a really fun moment in the course, even tho omg i was already so tired haha

      Delete
  5. Just a side hustle as supermodels :) Congrats you both look amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha charlie would love that job - posing dramatically is what he does best!

      Delete
  6. Charlie is a celebrity! Now he's going to need to keep updating his Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook and YouTube accounts and waiting for that rush when he gets another like. And then the drinking and partying and going off the rails starts. And the sex tape. Then he'll start demanding an appearance fee when he shows up at events. Wait - that one would actually be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omgggggggg haha i can already see the downward spiral!! LOL... but hey, if all he needs is for me to actually pay him in order to show up to our events (as opposed to scratching at the last minute!) i can probably arrange that lol

      Delete
  7. Too cool! You're our local celebrity ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha i'm 100% cool with charlie growing a fan club ;)

      Delete
  8. Wow! That's so exciting! You guys look so awesome in that shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! i kinda dig that you can almost not tell that my face is the same color as the jump haha, i was tired! but it was a fun moment!

      Delete
  9. damnit, why didn't I get your autograph when I had the chance?!?! Just don't forget about the little people...mainly me.

    Seriously though, SO COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is such a GREAT picture. I love it. And congrats on making the front page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, it's definitely one of my new favorites for sure

      Delete
  11. OMG that awesome!! Congrats! He looks so happy and on top of it in that photo. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol he might have even been a little *too* happy during that ride haha

      Delete
  12. Holy cow that's cool! What a great photo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. love the photo, and love that they chose it!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.